Football 2022/23

charlierc

Long overdue FFP charge for Everton. We'll now find out exactly how "creative" both the accounting and PR have been. All that talk of being in close contact with the FA about transfer spend and the need to sell Richarlison by a certain date to avoid FFP sanctions are shown to be absolute bollocks. 

Any relegation and we immediately obliterate any FFP rules in the Championship...

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Long overdue FFP charge for Everton. We'll now find out exactly how "creative" both the accounting and PR have been. All that talk of being in close contact with the FA about transfer spend and the need to sell Richarlison by a certain date to avoid FFP sanctions are shown to be absolute bollocks. 

Any relegation and we immediately obliterate any FFP rules in the Championship...

Noticed a few optimistic comments on twitter saying it'll be a transfer ban/fine but I'm not so sure because as you say the timing is suspicious. 

It was obvious what had happened last year regarding the real owners funding being cut so it feels like the league is now being leant on to get the owners out.

5 hours ago, lost said:

Noticed a few optimistic comments on twitter saying it'll be a transfer ban/fine but I'm not so sure because as you say the timing is suspicious. 

It was obvious what had happened last year regarding the real owners funding being cut so it feels like the league is now being leant on to get the owners out.

I saw the same comments - one thing seems to be for sure that it's unlikely that it'll all be sorted for this season, so at least our survival this year will be in the hands of those on the pitch. After that anything can happen next season in terms of form, miracles could be performed to mean we have enough points to absorb a deduction if it happens. Dyche has done well with worse squads and the improvement at Chelsea vs arsenal away just a few weeks before gives me some hope he knows what he's doing with these players 

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I saw the same comments - one thing seems to be for sure that it's unlikely that it'll all be sorted for this season, so at least our survival this year will be in the hands of those on the pitch. After that anything can happen next season in terms of form, miracles could be performed to mean we have enough points to absorb a deduction if it happens. Dyche has done well with worse squads and the improvement at Chelsea vs arsenal away just a few weeks before gives me some hope he knows what he's doing with these players 

fancy being up on a FFP charge without having the trophies to make it worthwhile.

Confirmed last night that Spurs & Conte have parted ways.

Perhaps the only surprise is that it took over a week of deliberations to come to that conclusion after his rant at Southampton after their last game. Can't say I blame Conte either really - I got a vibe of that rant being an expression of burnout, seeing as the mood with their suspect form is probably not helped by missing a fair bit of time after gallbladder surgery and losing 3 close friends in quick succession.

If Spurs can get Nagelsmann after he was unexpectedly booted out of Bayern last week, that would be quite the hire. Not that I'm sure what it makes for this season tbf. It's an interesting top 4 fight now with Spurs having had late-season managerial dysfunction like when they dumped Mourinho in the lockdown season, Newcastle have games in hand but lots of injuries in attack and Liverpool's defence/midfield seems prone to poor displays.

20 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Ha I know, we've spent crazy amounts to make ourselves considerably worse. Our best defender is a free transfer and we have no strikers. Incredible levels of mismanagement 

I saw Everton play at Newcastle 4 years ago and looking back at it now, some of the names on that teamsheet were profound wastes of money. It's kinda crazy to think in some respects as many years ago, there were Everton teams stitched together with freebies and loans challenging for top six places, yet so much of the Moshiri era just seems to have been throwing moolah on all the wrong things.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Confirmed last night that Spurs & Conte have parted ways.

Perhaps the only surprise is that it took over a week of deliberations to come to that conclusion after his rant at Southampton

broken club, what's everton's excuse for a crap manager?

Seems par of the course as far as I can see very few clubs seem to get hit rates around 70% - 80%. Just look at Arsenals spending before they've managed to click back at the top: Aubameyang, Willian, Mustafi, Ozil, Pepe, Mkhitaryan, Welbeck off the top of my head.

It appears to be essential in modern football to run at a massive loss and then try to consolidate to break into the top 4.

20 minutes ago, lost said:

It appears to be essential in modern football to run at a massive loss and then try to consolidate to break into the top 4.

Could just say "run at a massive loss" full stop. Some of the economics of Championship clubs spending north of 200% of total turnover just on wages makes for some crazy reading, to the point where its a wonder there haven't been more teams falling into administration.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Could just say "run at a massive loss" full stop. Some of the economics of Championship clubs spending north of 200% of total turnover just on wages makes for some crazy reading, to the point where its a wonder there haven't been more teams falling into administration.

a decent player sale can cover the daily losses.

32 minutes ago, Neil said:

a decent player sale can cover the daily losses.

True, but not every club is able to sell a £15million+ talent every summer, and in the 2 windows just gone, it did feel like PL clubs weren't arsed about what the Championship had to offer. Semenyo from Bristol City to Bournemouth is perhaps the biggest Jan one I can recall off the top of me head.

EDIT: I'd forgotten Harry Souttar from Stoke to Leicester. But still.

Edited by charlierc

58 minutes ago, charlierc said:

If we end up down there we'll eclipse anything that's gone before. Got to hope for a miracle between now and the end of the season

2 hours ago, Neil said:

broken club, what's everton's excuse for a crap manager?

Every one since Moyes has been the wrong appointment, apart from Ancelotti which was always worth a go. 

There's no real football brains there, just dinosaurs like Kenwright (he wanted Martinez back!), former players elevated to the board and business people without football experience. It sounds very disjointed between board and owner, it seems Lampard stayed for weeks longer than he should because Kenwright essentially told the owner things were fine and we should give him time. Then he came over himself and Lampard was gone 2 days later. If Dyche had come in when we had a run of home games against our relegation rivals, which we lost, I doubt we'd be in this level of trouble now. 

Moshiri has more than once signed loan players from other clubs that the managers haven't played at all, which certainly raises questions about how and why those deals have come about. That then makes you wonder how certain big name but crap transfers came about also - did the managers actually want them?

I'd love to be a broken club like Spurs, fighting for 4th place and no genuine existential threat to the club hanging over our heads! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

I think when these people buy football clubs the club is actually secondary in their thinking. Any sanctions against their other business interests would have to include the football club and therefore the political party who announced them would be unpopular in the city where the club is based.

5 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Great win for Scotland. When I looked at the Spain team I fancied your chances, just didn’t see any goals in Spain.

Incredible scenes last night. Due to decades of experience I started enjoying it in the 95th minute. Great atmosphere and must be our best start to a group with other results going our way. Long, long, long way to go but great stuff 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍🙌

Spain completely lost their heads which was a surprise as they were creating plenty in the first half and sent on plenty quality. Also good to see a foul throw being given for a change. We’d been talking about how they’ve crept in recently and never pulled up. Robertson often guilty of it. 

Well done Scotland!  I'd love to see all the home nations get through to Germany next year.

Went to my first England game on Sunday with my son as his birthday present. It was such a great atmosphere - can't wait to book the next one.  Tickets in the family area were less than £40 for the pair - we were high up, but still great views. Bloody parking cost more!

1 hour ago, Comfy Bean said:

Spain completely lost their heads which was a surprise as they were creating plenty in the first half and sent on plenty quality. Also good to see a foul throw being given for a change. We’d been talking about how they’ve crept in recently and never pulled up. Robertson often guilty of it. 

I thought if we scored a second, we'd be fine, as there was never many goals in that team, and with the improvement in defending crosses in the second half, that just increased my confidence more.

They were pretty shite and the result was a reflection of how things went.

McTominay's booking at the end might come back to haunt us later, and what makes that worse is that it was about a pointless booking as anyone could get.

I saw the Spain captain Rodri took defeat well

70%+ possession but barely any chances judging by the highlights. But post-2012 that's felt like their problem, where they lack the dynamic runners who made tiki-taka briefly invincible.

This is pretty huge for Scotland tbf - Norway have not started well and it may be too soon for Georgia. So this could be a great chance for them to qualify already. Just gotta stick the landing.

26 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Not the holier than thou City fans? Why, they would never....

BBC News - Manchester City say Liverpool bus attacked on journey from Etihad Stadium
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65150176

Shocking news - some football fans are c**ts! Doesn't matter who you support, if you think all your fans are squeaky clean then you're as bad as Donald Trump supporters!