The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

8 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Forecasts seem to suggest the jet stream moving north allowing better weather to head our way as august progresses. Hope you get it fine! No matter what the weather does it will still be a great day. All the best! 

Thanks....I think its for the best, getting wasted at football and festivals and doing what I like has been great, but at nearly 42 perhaps time to slow it down a little 😄

Hope the Scottish contingent of our family don't bring any bad weather with them! 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Thanks....I think its for the best, getting wasted at football and festivals and doing what I like has been great, but at nearly 42 perhaps time to slow it down a little 😄

Hope the Scottish contingent of our family don't bring any bad weather with them! 🙂 

As long as they bring drink😉

On 7/31/2023 at 1:48 PM, gooner1990 said:

I get married on August 11th so need to pray for that day to be dry!

On radio yesterday they were talking about sh*t weather and the weather Chap said it is looking good for next Thursday and Friday, 10th 11th, then probably going down hill again. So looking good for you

At my wedding it rained the day before, sunny for the wedding day then pissed it down the day after. That was end of August

16 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I remember 2007. The wonderful mud lake by the other stage glistening in the light. Mrs Q and I luckily got in the right head space early and had a blast. Mrs Q would just go home nowadays 

In all honesty, if we had an exact repeat of 2007 I might be tempted to bail early this time.

Only part of that is that I'm now 16 years older and more broken/tired. I kind of think that one of the reasons people were able to cope with 2007 is that nobody had a Smart Phone and so it was easier to "take it as it comes" - nobody was really aware that it was just going to get worse and worse across the weekend culminating in a f**king disaster of a Monday morning when trying to leave.

The last forecast most people would have had would have been on the Tuesday before the Festival and from what I remember it looked like it'd be broadly ok at that point. But if that kind of weather happened now, everyone would be on their apps throughout and would be looking ahead with the knowledge that there wasn't going to be any let up. I think it'd be more difficult to keep spirits up these days.

37 minutes ago, incident said:

In all honesty, if we had an exact repeat of 2007 I might be tempted to bail early this time.

Only part of that is that I'm now 16 years older and more broken/tired. I kind of think that one of the reasons people were able to cope with 2007 is that nobody had a Smart Phone and so it was easier to "take it as it comes" - nobody was really aware that it was just going to get worse and worse across the weekend culminating in a f**king disaster of a Monday morning when trying to leave.

The last forecast most people would have had would have been on the Tuesday before the Festival and from what I remember it looked like it'd be broadly ok at that point. But if that kind of weather happened now, everyone would be on their apps throughout and would be looking ahead with the knowledge that there wasn't going to be any let up. I think it'd be more difficult to keep spirits up these days.

Very true. However, Lots ands lots bailed in 2007 though. Same in 85, 98 . 1997 Emily has said they were asking people to stay as they were leaving in droves. So if it happened again maybe it would be near empty. Or people spend so much more money on it they think f**k it I will see it out. 

I hope we never find out mind.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

With the exception of 1985, when I didn't have a tent, and 2005, it seems I've developed an ability to filter out the muddy ones from my memory.

07 was worse than 05.

In 05 you had the biblical rain and thunderstorms and then it got better.

07 was a constant light rain / drizzle for the entire festival.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Bizarrely it appears to be flying ant day here in Cheltenham! Normally happens when it's hot & humid - not 17 degrees! I guess they just got sick of waiting for summer & decided to fly anyway! 😀

Today for flying ants here. Just walked the Fairfield Horseshoe and the last fell on the way down, Nab Scar was covered in them. Covered. Was walking through clouds of them. Reminded me of Sandflies in NZ.