The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think it may have been revealed in this article- but its paywalled so not certain

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/caitlin-moran-goes-behind-the-scenes-at-glastonbury-7sckjg86l

I know a link to an archive was later posted but for future ref, you can get behind paywalls by using this site - https://12ft.io/<URL> - just put the website address in the URL bit. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

OK then. As you were. 😳

I'm just jealous because I was a dot listening to spice girls back then so I would never have been at any of those years. I actually love reading everyone's stories about the olden days. That's why I'm on this forum. Because I love it. That's why it's a joke.

But if you wanna be serious, this is the weather thread of 2023, not 1997 or 2007 or 2005 or whatever. 2023. And it's going to be glorious 👍🏼

@p.peteyou can absolutely have a medal 🏅👏🏼 😊

It's still too raw for us to talk about those who didn't make it back from those years.

pour-one-out.gif

34 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

OK then. As you were. 😳

I'm just jealous because I was a dot listening to spice girls back then so I would never have been at any of those years. I actually love reading everyone's stories about the olden days. That's why I'm on this forum. Because I love it. That's why it's a joke.

But if you wanna be serious, this is the weather thread of 2023, not 1997 or 2007 or 2005 or whatever. 2023. And it's going to be glorious 👍🏼

@p.peteyou can absolutely have a medal 🏅👏🏼 😊

No I definitely wasn’t being serious. My sense of humour is very dry. Like this years festival will be. But not as dry as 1995. That was a great year. We all rode round the site on penny farthings. The Beatles headlined and we had a minutes silence when JFK was shot. They even showed the moon landing on the Pyramid screens. 

3 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

No I definitely wasn’t being serious. My sense of humour is very dry. Like this years festival will be. But not as dry as 1995. That was a great year. We all rode round the site on penny farthings. The Beatles headlined and we had a minutes silence when JFK was shot. They even showed the moon landing on the Pyramid screens. 

🤣

But did Fuzzy Dunlop make it out of the freezer that year? That's all we need to know... 

33 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Anyone else remember the great mild short lived  Wednesday shower of 2023, crazy times, where were you.

Mind you in 2034 people will wonder what a wet festival was like as they pack their 35 degree survival kit

Ackshually...

Climate change will result in warmer and wetter weather.

I'll be the Aldi @briddj for the 12z. There will be NO GRAPHICS because it's Friday and I want a beer.

Pre Gates Opening: Same as last run, except heavier rain on Tuesday coming very close to the site. Probably a bit worse. 

Wednesday: Showers around throughout the day. Nothing substantial, but again, slight downgrade on last run. 

Thursday: Basically dry - some light showers potentially. Improvement on last run. 

Friday: Dry day. Improvement - heavier rain to West on last run is much less pronounced.

Saturday: Dry day. But some right f**kery hanging about over Ireland and into Wales. Seriously, BIIIG rain.

Sunday: Dry day. But more showers around in the rest of the country - forcefield in effect. 

Summary: Better run. But still some uncertainty about next weekend, as location of rainfall / pattern of front can't be predicted, and there is less sign of the high building -  there is more rainfall in the UK in general (just not currently expected to be in West Country).

And that's all the weather. 

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch
  • Upvote 4

Just now, HyperTechnoHorse said:

The rain on Tuesday is basically locked in now. Looks to about 30-40mm cumulative - over half a month's rain in just 6 hours. 

The trend is also now that the high will NOT rebuild. SO expect constant showers. 

By Saturday, the site is going to be an absolute warzone. Real trench sh*t. 

Is this another Nal impersonator?

10 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I'll be the Aldi @briddj for the 12z. There will be NO GRAPHICS because it's Friday and I want a beer.

Pre Gates Opening: Same as last run, except heavier rain on Tuesday coming very close to the site. Probably a bit worse. 

Wednesday: Showers around throughout the day. Nothing substantial, but again, slight downgrade on last run. 

Thursday: Basically dry - some light showers potentially. Improvement on last run. 

Friday: Dry day. Improvement - heavier rain to West on last run is much less pronounced.

Saturday: Dry day. But some right f**kery hanging about over Ireland and into Wales. Seriously, BIIIG rain.

Sunday: Dry day. But more showers around in the rest of the country - forcefield in effect. 

Summary: Better run. But still some uncertainty about next weekend, as location of rainfall / pattern of front can't be predicted, and there is less sign of the high building -  there is more rainfall in the UK in general (just not currently expected to be in West Country).

And that's all the weather. 

Not sure what made you think those days were dry in this run but they're not... 

Fri

fri.webp.3f3b3efe7d271f2bb292fb28571aeba9.webp

Sun

ukprec.webp.2d0210c6c1405584cc321b80fe2742c6.webp

Light showers though, thankfully. The real nightmare is this bucket load falling on the Tuesday folk... 

ukprec.webp.154f3bd4569077245953ce56b138bbdc.webp

ukprec.webp.e85a7b45e7e8c1824ce48d21537713e1.webp

ukprec.webp.b3780b518957db3eed835ad442d79e19.webp

ukprec.webp.c10981ae1f5948f7674fc7fe535d836f.webp

ukprec.webp.6d2abbae5ebaf5308b6aba6ec3ea5640.webp

For the entire day... It does not stop

This is not a better run, it's the worst yet, that amount of rain, falling for that long, on the day before gates open is genuinely concerning. 😕 

This run realises the fear of that low moving a little further South East again, and pushing the high back much further SE

Hopefully tomorrow brings better news. (On the charts that is, not the forecasts, who will be mostly based off today's charts!!!) 

So what will the 12z bring us?

A little more rain than the 6z is the answer, but how much more?

The rain on the Sunday is there as usual, but then it introduces a period of rain up from the south on the Tuesday, just to keep the dust down.

IMG_4121.thumb.jpeg.e8428541ac349de6aecb668416bba9af.jpeg

So, gates open on Wednesday to a dry start but there’s a low hanging about in the north sea and the GFS wants to produce some showers during the day, but nothing major.    High of 21c.

IMG_4122.thumb.jpeg.3e69393c90938cc95377a339ecf5a7f0.jpeg

Thursday is a repeat of Wednesday, the pressure pattern is neither here nor there, so it reckons there’ll be some showers about but again, nothing major.  Again, a high of 21c.

IMG_4123.thumb.jpeg.03864b717caebf753a9f2eba09d0dda0.jpeg

Friday, the finger starts to push in and pressure rises, but again the GFS wants to give us showers, and again, nothing but a sprinkle.  And also not too hot again, a high of 21c.

IMG_4124.thumb.jpeg.1279b301b9ad49034753e5ef688c07fb.jpeg

Saturday is slightly more worrying, a depression appears to the south of Ireland which produces some noticeable rain over Wales.  As long as that stays where it is, all is fine on Saturday, again not too hot at 21c.

IMG_4125.thumb.jpeg.eeee8725d7a5f9b2295b91e14bd969d1.jpeg

And the on to Sunday, the Azores finger tries to shove the low out of the way, but it’s hanging around over the U.K.  so showers are around over the north, but nothing of significance in the SW.  Again a high of just 21c.

IMG_4126.thumb.jpeg.5e8850083573bfcdd0d1d428638ee867.jpeg

So, all in all, not bad at all. And temperatures consistent around 21c throughout.  But the GFS is still all over the place, it’s nowhere near coming to a final decision.  The other models are now in range of the festival and we’ll need to keep an eye on them so see what they come up with.

Edited by Sheffield Steve
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sheffield Steve said:

So what will the 12z bring us?

A little more rain than the 6z is the answer, but how much more?

The rain in the Sunday is there as usual, but then it introduces a period of rain up from the south on the Tuesday, just to keep the dust down.

IMG_4121.thumb.jpeg.e8428541ac349de6aecb668416bba9af.jpeg

So, gates open on Wednesday to a dry start but there’s a low hanging about in the north sea and the GFS wants to produce some showers during the day, but nothing major.    High of 21c.

IMG_4122.thumb.jpeg.3e69393c90938cc95377a339ecf5a7f0.jpeg

Thursday is a repeat of Wednesday, the pressure pattern is neither here nor there, so it reckons there’ll be some showers about but again, nothing major.  Again, a high of 21c.

IMG_4123.thumb.jpeg.03864b717caebf753a9f2eba09d0dda0.jpeg

Friday, the finger starts to push in and pressure rises, but again the GFS wants to give us showers, and again, nothing but a sprinkle.  And also not too warm hot again, a high of 21c.

IMG_4124.thumb.jpeg.1279b301b9ad49034753e5ef688c07fb.jpeg

Saturday is slightly more worrying, a depression appears to the south of Ireland which produces some noticeable rain over Wales.  As long as that stays where it is, all is fine on Saturday, again not too hot at 21c.

IMG_4125.thumb.jpeg.eeee8725d7a5f9b2295b91e14bd969d1.jpeg

And the on to Sunday, the Azores finger tries to shove the low out of the way, but it’s hanging around over the U.K.  so showers are around over the north, but nothing of significance in the SW.  Again a high of just 21c.

IMG_4126.thumb.jpeg.5e8850083573bfcdd0d1d428638ee867.jpeg

So, all in all, not bad at all. And temperatures consistent around 21c throughout.  But the GFS is still all over the place, it’s nowhere near coming to a final decision.  The other models are now in range of the festival and we’ll need to keep an eye on them so see what they come up with.

This is some monumental spin, especially when you've included images demonstrating rain on every single day next week?

• Downvote 2