The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

12 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Gentle reminder what the ground conditions were like on June 16th 2016.

Maybe that’s where they got the idea for Glastonbury on sea….

Looking at that, I’m pretty amazed it went ahead to be honest. That’s an insanely high water table. From a health and safety point of view they could have maybe justified pulling the plug. 

1 minute ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

Maybe that’s where they got the idea for Glastonbury on sea….

Looking at that, I’m pretty amazed it went ahead to be honest. That’s an insanely high water table. From a health and safety point of view they could have maybe justified pulling the plug. 

Apparently it was pretty close to being axed.

I have friends who were part of the Fire Circle crew in the healing fields. They’d been to every single festival. They are getting on a bit anyway but 2016 was the last straw for them. 
They never returned.

By that I mean they didn’t go again. Not that they disappeared in the mud never to be seen again. 

1 minute ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I have friends who were part of the Fire Circle crew in the healing fields. They’d been to every single festival. They are getting on a bit anyway but 2016 was the last straw for them. 
They never returned.

By that I mean they didn’t go again. Not that they disappeared in the mud never to be seen again. 

Glad to hear they didn't get washed away 😆

22 minutes ago, Duggyfresh44 said:

I’m not surprised in the least. The fact they managed to get it up and running and sustain it all the way through was a logistical wonder. I didn’t go that year. I’m kind of glad. 

It was bloody hard work I'll admit.  But for me one of the best years for music.  I discovered new (to me) people that year who I still listen to and go to see in their own concerts. 

It was made easier for me as my daughter was working there and she set up my tent in staff camping and I could leave it there until I picked her up three weeks later.  Maybe if I'd had to set up and take down that would have been the final straw.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It would have done too if it wasn't for those pesky showers at night!

Looking at the video above - it pretty much did dry out in comparison to that!  Adele turned up, everything was grand.

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Looking at the video above - it pretty much did dry out in comparison to that!  Adele turned up, everything was grand.

The drainage is shockingly good compared to say, 1998.  Now that was wet.

In some ways I actually preferred it to 1997, which wasn't quite so lake filled, but so much harder to get around because of the sticky mud. More like 2016 in that respect.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In some ways I actually preferred it to 1997, which wasn't quite so lake filled, but so much harder to get around because of the sticky mud. More like 2016 in that respect.

See I got fed up 1997, but I was there the week after too so it got a bit much. 1998 was a fantastic year for me. I took some steel toe capped wellies from work and stomped around like Godzilla. 

This latest run is neither terrifying or good... 

A fair amount of rain to fall between now and the end of the festival. Which isn't great.

But most of it falls in 1 - 2mm showers across several days, so the ground won't be too bad. 

So yeh, neither good or bad...

Total accumulated rain between now and the end of the festival...

image.png.50b091e93ff5d67b35b8cb81a0a5a4b2.png

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2011 was the stickiest mud for me - though a large factor in that was probably that I arrived incredibly tired.  Suspect I would have turned up properly unprepared for 97 or 98, my first was 05 and I was properly unprepared for that but it dried up pretty quick (I was in runners until Saturday morning before I managed to buy a pair of wellies, probably hardly needed them at that point but my runners were knackered then!)

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

This latest run is neither terrifying or good... 

A fair amount of rain to fall between now and the end of the festival. Which isn't great.

But most of it falls in 1 - 2mm showers across several days, so the ground won't be too bad. 

So yeh, neither good or bad...

Total accumulated rain between now and the end of the festival...

image.png.50b091e93ff5d67b35b8cb81a0a5a4b2.png

There will be no rain. 

47 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Could be that your addiction to wearing denim is related to your inability to cope in sunny years.

Nah, never said I didn't change into shorts at some point. Never had heatstroke myself or sunstroke in 2010. Just don't like the relentless sun when it's minimum 26 for 5 straight days.

All I said in my original post is that I'm able to cope in jeans from 18-22 degrees. And for some reason ppl mistook that for meaning in any temperature upto 30 or something. No idea how that was deduced 🤷‍♂️