The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

8 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Glastonbury 2023 weather: Warning as highs of 27C forecast https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-65908046

sunburn, measles and the clap - it’s amazing it sells out so quickly!

Honestly that article is a wild ride. Wasn't expecting the sudden mention of measles at all. All the talk of water bottles then BAM measles in the next paragraph left me feeling bewildered.

20 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

The 12z is rolling out.   It’s a pre-festival shocker…..hours and hours of heavy rain…  let’s hope the festival days themselves are a bit better…

Sunday:

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.2a46dcef8ad9a5b39a62e6e018602705.jpeg

Tuesday:

IMG_4111.thumb.jpeg.e882c2dee2f27d38b37dd753d62c9a01.jpeg

Rain at any point over the weekend, even heavy, is welcome. Tuesday less so, but if it can clear up by mid afternoon that’s not a huge problem for your typical festival goer. 

Edit: this weekend I mean, not during the festival. 

Edited by kalifire

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Rain at any point over the weekend, even heavy, is welcome. Tuesday less so, but if it can clear up by mid afternoon that’s not a huge problem for your typical festival goer. 

Edit: this weekend I mean, not during the festival. 

Could do without it TBH

We'll be trying to site heavy vehicles

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Could do without it TBH

We'll be trying to site heavy vehicles

For sure. I meant for your average festival goer (i.e. arrives Wednesday). Still think enough to dampen the ground over the next few days would be beneficial all round. 

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

And for breakfast 👍 I like potato cakes 

🤣🤣 I'll be doing one big breakfast on the Wednesday morning while we're waiting for the queues to go down. Be there or be square (After that, it's pancakes or nothing!)

• Upvote 1

We move on to the 12Z. Can we recover from the shock of the last run?

GATES OPENING

Still quite a lot of rain on Sunday, which is definitely becoming a theme as the timeframe gets more reliable.

On this run there is more rain in the early hours of Tuesday, and some very light stuff during the day. Again, a consistent theme.

But Monday temps of 22 will clear up the Sunday rain, with decent temps of 19 on Tuesday.

For Wednesday at 9am, it's dry (having been since early evening the night before) and really quite warm at 18.

image.thumb.png.e2b45c17fd88fe5d42e9b9a87354adbd.png

We had a troublesome green pocked of low pressure in the last run (left) and while it is present on this run (right) it's much further north before it's pushed away.

image.thumb.png.201dc8427a5e4d3485b274c81d247190.png

It means Wednesday is essentially dry - the rain showing on this chart is nothing. Highs of 20.

image.thumb.png.17dfb87e2614c117866c9f683690764c.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry with highs of 22.

image.thumb.png.48707d0c6ef219739538257092264cdc.png

FRIDAY

There's a very small amount of rain around in the early hours of Friday, with the day itself completely dry with highs of 24.

image.thumb.png.dfde88b46fc0724f7b7b964077f12dfd.png

SATURDAY

Another completely dry day, with highs of 21.

image.thumb.png.e7dc04197db5aaaaf8e262b02ec486b9.png

SUNDAY

Another completely dry day, with highs of 21.

image.thumb.png.2ebeb8f123fd45c6adc491a60140e5e1.png

SUMMARY

We are back to an exceptional run to recover from the last horror.

Any rain in this run for the festival days would be completely insignificant, with warm temperatures throughout.

COME ON!

But there remains uncertainty about what exactly will happen from Thursday onwards. We don't have it in the can yet.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 17

Let’s take a Europe-wide look this time.  It’s all change with the 12z GFS. Plenty of rain over England in the days running up to the festival, but the other models are yet to agree on this so definitely can’t be relied upon.

After that things aren’t too bad at all.  Pressure builds from the east to dampen down any showers on Wednesday and Thursday.  This high is shoved out of the way by an area of low pressure coming across Ireland and into Scotland, which might produce a few showers for the south of England on Friday. 

After that, pressure builds over the country from the north and gives us a dry Saturday and Sunday with temperatures around 21c.
Big improvement, but there is still far too much low pressure all around us.  It will be all change in the next run…. MORE RUNS NEEDED

Untitled.thumb.gif.0e019ff5cadb88f9def5d374884649dd.gif

Edited by Sheffield Steve
  • Upvote 1