The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

35mm?

Thats half a months worth of rain in a few hours.

You mean half of the June average... June being a summer month... Interestingly, it may turn out to be half of the rain that falls this June too. If it comes. 😉 

2019 the UK had an average of 107mm fall in June... 

2007 had 60mm fall in one day during the festival...

35mm 2 days before most folk arrive on site would NOT be the end of the world... 

Of course, we're still a week out, so we're not really confident of anything yet.

ECMWF is on our side though, showing around 10mm of rain in total between now and Friday of the festival. With a nice big high moving further North over us as the first few days of the festival are under way... 

precip.webp.ffba137af2841efa74460e04b6033c28.webp

ecm500.webp.4b24c142a98e0a08f8e681361f72f486.webp

1 hour ago, frostie94 said:

Newby to Glastonbury here....Need to invest in a pair of wellies or walking boots for next week... 

What do regulars recommend? I want to try to avoid wellies If I can as they won't be the comfiest to rave in!

However, if we are likely to have really mushy ground would you say wellies are a necessity or will walking boots do the trick?

Thanks!

Definitely walking boots, I did 2016 in them and even in deep mud they are better, but there's every chance they'll be trashed after Glasto so don't go too mad on the £££

8 minutes ago, filmguy said:

Definitely walking boots, I did 2016 in them and even in deep mud they are better, but there's every chance they'll be trashed after Glasto so don't go too mad on the £££

I bought a really decent second hand pair in Vinted. They’ve even been worn in for me! They were £7.50.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

Right not being funny but what's the verdict. Someone told me to get off my arse and buy boots like a month ago and here i am now.

Weather keeps changing - am i going to die!

Doesn't matter what the forecast says - you should always have footwear with you that can cope with mud 

2 minutes ago, gfa said:

Right not being funny but what's the verdict. Someone told me to get off my arse and buy boots like a month ago and here i am now.

I once bought Solomon non-leather hiking boots and first thing I did with them was a 12 mile walk. Swear my feet were happier after the walk than before it 😂 boots like that are out there, maybe read the reviews to get an idea if the fit is right for you (wide/narrow etc) and see if people compliment them being ready to wear right away.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

Buy a pair of half decent walking boots and they'll do you come rain or shine! Would recommend wearing them round the house/ out for a walk before the festival though

Just now, dumbsaints said:

I once bought Solomon non-leather hiking boots and first thing I did with them was a 12 mile walk. Swear my feet were happier after the walk than before it 😂 boots like that are out there, maybe read the reviews to get an idea if the fit is right for you (wide/narrow etc) and see if people compliment them being ready to wear right away.

Had a similar experience with Mammut suede boots with some fancy memory foam lining. Bought them the day before a 2 day hike up a mountain and my feet felt great the whole way. But I typically dont have problems with finding shoes that fit me well.

40 minutes ago, catavento said:

Yeah! That was dramatic. One of the few sets I've seen where I can actually remember being in the rain, and there must have been loads of them.

This is the only set I can recall being in the rain for aswell 😂

I’m in the minority but I’d go wellies all the way, especially if any chance it’s going to be like 2016 (although it’s not). I bought mine in sports direct 10 years ago and they are still fine and will be coming again hopefully never to see the light of day and for my trainers to take centre stage 

The German model ICON is out to midnight on set up Wednesday.   It keeps things pretty dry until Monday/Tuesday when it dumps 1-2 inches of rain on the site, which would certainly cause some issues.  This is a bit of a theme with the models now, and one that Gav will be talking about this evening I’m sure.

Of course, with thundery rain of this nature, one location can have a torrential downpour and 5 miles down the road can have  nothing at all, so if this scenario comes off, it’ll just be a case of keeping a close eye on it much nearer the time.

Rain accumulation:

create_gif.php?model=ICO&member=OP&var=1