The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I didn't wear wellies in 2016 and I won't this year.

I only wore wellies in 2016. But I love my Muckboots. They’re dead comfy, not like the hard plastic Dunlop specials, and I walk the dog in them every winter for miles.

3 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Yeah I'd take 15 all day long if it was put on the table now. Is it safe to say we won't be getting 2016 levels of mud at this stage? Seems like it is. A few showers here and there is no biggie.

No way can we get a repeat of 2016 now. Even taking the worst of the forecasts into account. The ground is too dry, water table too low and most of the build will have been done in dry conditions.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WannabeGlastoVet said:

My first was 2016 which was by all accounts a washout and I had the best time! A bit of mud doesn't stop the fun 🙂

2011 absolutely hammered it down all Wed and most of Thurs/Fri from what I can remember. 
It got better, but it was hard work.

2016 was certainly muddy and a bit of an effort.

Every other year I have been, even with rain, has been fine. The odd mad shower or two (the Metallica year had a crazy thunderstorm that shut the Pyramid)

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I dunno...apparently its officially been declared that we're in the El Nino pattern over the weekend and the last El Nino was 2016...

The run up to 2016 was especially awful though.  

It's going to be ok.  A little bit of high pressure from a plume or finger is all it takes to make the festival dry and warm.

3 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

I dunno...apparently its officially been declared that we're in the El Nino pattern over the weekend and the last El Nino was 2016...

We're fine, if we we're in the southern USA, SE Asia, Australia or New Zealand - then I'd be worried about El Nino.

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 11.07.20.png

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

Bit more of a clear picture emerging now, were going to need good waterproofs. 

Glasto virgin so little worried it won't feel quite the same if it buckets down all weekend. 

BUT what can you do?

This is why the tone in the weather thread bugs me. This poor chap's not even been and he's been left catastrophising over amounts of rain that will vanish in a few hours of sun, wind and feet.

Glastonbury is very rarely fully dry. There's normally a smorgasbord of weather. It's almost always wonderful. You might get to sit less in the wet bits, the rest will be just fine and dandy.

That said always take good waterproofs to any festival unless it's nailed on dry. One decent reusable poncho will do, it's nothing. Reports so far suggest it'll be good to line your rucksack with a bin bag in case of queue-rain, otherwise we're in for a great festival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The weather is never nailed on dry in the SE of England in June. Always bring at least a light-weight waterproof, and at least have walking boots/wellies in the car to go retrieve if you need them (or travel in the walking boots like I do on the coach, knowing I may never put them back on a the festival like in 2022). 

A bit of rain is almost certain, and can in fact be quite welcome! 

4 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

The weather is never nailed on dry in the SE of England in June. Always bring at least a light-weight waterproof, and at least have walking boots/wellies in the car to go retrieve if you need them (or travel in the walking boots like I do on the coach, knowing I may never put them back on a the festival like in 2022). 

A bit of rain is almost certain, and can in fact be quite welcome! 

Hard disagree.  🤨

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

This is why the tone in the weather thread bugs me. This poor chap's not even been and he's been left catastrophising over amounts of rain that will vanish in a few hours of sun, wind and feet.

Glastonbury is very rarely fully dry. There's normally a smorgasbord of weather. It's almost always wonderful. You might get to sit less in the wet bits, the rest will be just fine and dandy.

That said always take good waterproofs to any festival unless it's nailed on dry. One decent reusable poncho will do, it's nothing. Reports so far suggest it'll be good to line your rucksack with a bin bag in case of queue-rain, otherwise we're in for a great festival.

This is the kind of common sense but positive attitude we need before it all gets out of hand with the rain anxieties. I noticed a few 'oh no rain' posts in the FBook Glastonbury groups this morning too. It's too late in the day to let the positive vibes go. Positive vibes all the way with a dose of common sense and preparedness and then we're good to go. 

BBC has it a mix of sunshine and light showers 21/22C until Friday 4pm, then its pretty much sun and a bit of cloud 22-24C for the rest of it apart from a tiny bit of light drizzle maybe on saturday.

Id take that, 2016 didn't even register as that bad for me after being there for 2005 and 2007 😛 so this forecast is nothing.

Edited by turricandanz

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Netweather now following the same pattern

A holy shitshow. 85% chance of rain on Wednesday.

Almost a certainty now. 

image.png.9643ca7153a9c0f9b83a43508028417d.png

Can't believe folk have put up with this doom persona for years LOL 

I'm a newbie and it's already got me down

• Upvote 3

Just now, briddj said:

06Z looks really promising, big improvement in the days before the festival. Full report coming in roughly 30 minutes.

Doesn't it just? I'm supposed to be working but constantly checking to see the next frame of the run.

that low pressure is looking a lot weaker and we appear to miss the rain on the tuesday / wednesday.  Hope the rest of the run holds up

Just now, Jacko45 said:

Like The Jedi and The Sith, there must be balance in the force.  

In this case, The Nal keeps us from getting carried away and highlights how silly it can be getting carried away with forecasts too early

11 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

I'm a newbie and it's already got me down

It is one of those forum in joke things.

Just think of him as one of those lovable uncles you see once a year that tells the same old stories every time, but he's fun. Eventually he always soils himself and you all laugh about it on the way home

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I didn't wear wellies in 2016 and I won't this year.

I wore high leg DMs, which I was extremely thankful for when I got stuck in mud in Unfairground at 5am Saturday and had to be dragged out... if I'd been wearing wellies they wouldn't have come with me like the DMs!