Primavera Sound Barcelona 2023 + Primavera Sound Madrid 2023

Fnmentaluk

2 hours ago, Nikky said:

Why people keep saying this? For someone that is a best day of any Festival this year. 

I'm for instance huge Rosalia and Maneskin fan. Love commercial bangers so would have fan on Harris. Into edm and already familiar with Charlotte De Witte. Also I know some of the work from Sevdaliza and Caroline Polachek they look very interesting to me just like St. Vincent. I'm sure there are more good stuff under names I didn't mention. 

Of course taste is subjective but you have to understand you're in the minority amongst this crowd. Primavera has always been an "alternative" festival so while Rosalia is absolutely understandable, it's hardly surprising that the booking of Calvin Harris and Maneskin are being criticised. 

That day also just doesn't have as much depth as the other 2 days for most of us I think.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pipan said:

I personally can't remember any other Primavera day without a single must see concert... until now. I mean, they somehow managed to put together a festival, where day 1 is insanely stacked (6 must sees + around 12 other names i'd love to see) and on day 3 I'm not able to find a single must see artist (and barely 10 concerts I'd like to see).

And I'm fully aware that this is totally subjective but I've been attending Primavera since 2017 and my personal music tastes have never been more neglected than on this year's Saturday.

However, there are always artists I'm not very excited about before the festival and after seeing them I have to admit I should have been much more excited (like Hannah Diamond or Dreamcatcher last year). So there's still a chance that Saturday will be amazing.

I don't know if you have already catched them and I don't want to question anyone's taste but Death Grips, John Cale, Laurie Anderson would meet my definition of must-see, regardless of tastes. Caroline Polachek, Kelela are great performers and their new albums are amazing. Wednesday are a great new surpirse for me. Gilla Band and Jockstrap are also great new acts. Party-wise you have Overmono, who are going to release a massive electronic album judging by their run of latest singles and they are likely going to win the electronic sub-festival competition imo. Classic indie rock isn't that strong that day (not a huge fan of war on drugs, st vincent and my morning jacket but maybe I should check better the latter) but that's hardly a weak day if you add a massive headliner like Rosalia as a bonus. They can fuck it up with a Rosalia - Death grips clash though. 

Edited by Whos3000_
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could see them turning to Arcade Fire if a headliner cancels...

Why do their name keeps coming back? Headlining a festival should be a privilege, not something anyone should expect. I saw them in 2006-2010 and have several LPs but right now most people would 100 times prefer to see some up and coming artist than this creepy guy. Fans can go see them at their own shows if they want. At most jobs you only have chance, why would this be different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, emmanuel said:

Why do their name keeps coming back? Headlining a festival should be a privilege, not something anyone should expect. I saw them in 2006-2010 and have several LPs but right now most people would 100 times prefer to see some up and coming artist than this creepy guy. Fans can go see them at their own shows if they want. At most jobs you only have chance, why would this be different.

I'm not in favour of it, just that I can see it fitting. They are surely trying to shift the public's expectation that them playing is 'normal' and will probably be more flexible and lower cost than before - so could be convenient for PS to bring them in late in the day.

They are also playing a major festival in just two weeks, alongside Grace Jones, MIA, Wet Leg, ASAP Rocky etc...

ps agree with the @Whos3000_ on the Saturday (although incidentally Gilla Band played PS almost a decade ago!)

Death Grips & JPEGMAFIA are must sees for me on Sat. I also want to catch Overmono and a couple others and barring a clash I'm sure I'll be dragged along to Rosalia but every other PS day for years I have 8-10 acts I want to see a day.

Personally I don't see Arcade Fire being booked due to the allegations but stranger things have happened. 

15 hours ago, Nikky said:

Why people keep saying this? For someone that is a best day of any Festival this year. 

For everyone else its absolutely awful. TWOD and Ezra Furman the only standouts for me. 

I'd be happy just doing the Wed & Thursday. I don't think the Friday is particularly great either (two big headliners granted, just not my thing) and all of it just isn't worth the cost this year for me. 

FWIW this is what my plan is for the Saturday. Could very well change and of course clashes dependent, but still PLENTY to see for me despite being the weakest day. If I arrive around 7 and stay til late I normally see an average of 7 acts per day anyway so see if any of these interest you.

image.png.d1b519a26dfb1d31f8b82a6696da9a2b.png

Happy to recommend starter songs/recommend based on different tastes.

• Thanks 1

For me Saturday is stuffed with names I'm quite happy to see - but no names I'm excited about. Though I might change my mind on that after seeing Rosalia. Reviews of her recent shows have been unanimously five stars.

And it does have one of the strongest overall lineups at the Auditori in a while with (probably) Laurie Anderson, John Cale and Eddie Palmieri.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Reviews of her recent shows have been unanimously five stars.

Have seen her a few times now, so thought I more or less knew what to expect going into the O2 show last December. But she blew every expectation (and probably everybody else I saw in 2022) out the water. So good. On home turf, I’d say it’s surely one of, if not the must-see of the week. 

Thanks for all the Saturday tips.

Many of them are already on my "like-to-see" list (Caroline Polachek, Wednesday, Jockstrap, Ezra Furman, The War on Drugs, Surf Curse, The Voidz, Two Shell), others I checked out thoroughly but it didn't really work for me (Maggie Rogers, Arlo Parks, Holly Humberstone, Rosalía)  and there are also some that I checked only very briefly to realize that they are not my cup of tea genre-wise (JPEGMAFIA, Death Grips, Gilla Band).

As for the possible Auditori artists - if I see them I will probably enjoy them. Last year, I decided to see Arooj Aftab (there was no Auditori last year but if it had been I'm sure that she would have performed there) only after the timetable was released and I  enjoyed it very much, but this is not a kind of act I'm excited about half a year in advance.

Must-see for me means either a band I love for many years (Blur) or something new that got me so excited that I'm spending hours checking videos of their live performances (Cavetown, Ghost).

However, Overmono and Nia Archives somehow slipped my attention while researching the line-up so I'm gonna check them out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, pipan said:

Many of them are already on my "like-to-see" list (Caroline Polachek, Wednesday, Jockstrap, Ezra Furman, The War on Drugs, Surf Curse, The Voidz, Two Shell), others I checked out thoroughly but it didn't really work for me (Maggie Rogers, Arlo Parks, dashboard-alerts Humberstone, Rosalía)  and there are also some that I checked only very briefly to realize that they are not my cup of tea genre-wise (JPEGMAFIA, Death Grips, Gilla Band).

As for the possible Auditori artists - if I see them I will probably enjoy them. Last year, I decided to see Arooj Aftab (there was no Auditori last year but if it had been I'm sure that she would have performed there) only after the timetable was released and I  enjoyed it very much, but this is not a kind of act I'm excited about half a year in advance.

Must-see for me means either a band I love for many years (Blur) or something new that got me so excited that I'm spending hours checking videos of their live performances (Cavetown, Ghost).

However, Overmono and Nia Archives somehow slipped my attention while researching the line-up so I'm gonna check them out.

There literally was Auditory last year

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pipan said:

Many of them are already on my "like-to-see" list (Caroline Polachek, Wednesday, Jockstrap, Ezra Furman, The War on Drugs, Surf Curse, The Voidz, Two Shell), others I checked out thoroughly but it didn't really work for me (Maggie Rogers, Arlo Parks, Holly Humberstone, Rosalía)  and there are also some that I checked only very briefly to realize that they are not my cup of tea genre-wise (JPEGMAFIA, Death Grips, Gilla Band).

John Cale too on the Saturday - can't wait to see him.  Plus My Morning Jacket & St Vincent.

• Thanks 1