Slam Dunk Festival 2023

I was always going to see The Offspring instead of Shikari. Seen the latter thrice, and have been hit and miss. Offspring have been very solid every time I've seen them. Plus, Offspring are going to retire before Shikari, so futureproofing myself. 

I find it baffling that Slam Dunk pretended to be shocked that people wanted to see both bands, then suggested people go to both days, one of the worst bits of marketing I've seen in a long time. 

3 hours ago, Jonny_Naylor said:

I was always going to see The Offspring instead of Shikari. Seen the latter thrice, and have been hit and miss. Offspring have been very solid every time I've seen them. Plus, Offspring are going to retire before Shikari, so futureproofing myself. 

I find it baffling that Slam Dunk pretended to be shocked that people wanted to see both bands, then suggested people go to both days, one of the worst bits of marketing I've seen in a long time. 

Yeah that was bollocks "it's come to our attention some people want to see both" ya think?

It's always bugged me why they aren't more transparent about it, they'd make more weekend ticket sales if they were, I'm sure of it 

I've seen Shikari 15 times and not once have I seen them put on a bad set, anyone that is on the fence about who to pick, consider this a strong recommendation for Shikari being pretty much the best live band from the UK going imo 

• Like 1

I don't want to make an entirely new thread but my friend reminded me about the nofx shows slam dunk are putting on and they are meant to have some special guests. So far only san diego has any listed outside of their 2 day fest thing in texas and theyre not really big names, anyone have any idea what might be the undercard?

I tried some quick checks of nova rock, rock am ring and most of the bands you would expect are already at rival uk festivals so im kind of stumped

On 3/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, Optix said:

I don't want to make an entirely new thread but my friend reminded me about the nofx shows slam dunk are putting on and they are meant to have some special guests. So far only san diego has any listed outside of their 2 day fest thing in texas and theyre not really big names, anyone have any idea what might be the undercard?

I tried some quick checks of nova rock, rock am ring and most of the bands you would expect are already at rival uk festivals so im kind of stumped

Lagwagon are in europe in the days ust before?

On 3/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, Optix said:

Leeds - Less Than Jake, Lagwagon, Comeback Kid, Codefendants & The Meffs

Hatfield - Anti Flag & Get Dead instead of LTJ & Codefendants 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Nice and early is always a good thing to me.

Have to say btw, DJ Fresh wasn't on my announcement bingo card.

Hoping this means he's closing a stage to avoid The Offspring/Shikari clash, but I think that would be way too sensible and clever for SD.

Glad we get an early clashfinder, gives me the next two months to make some horrible decisions.

1 hour ago, Jonny_Naylor said:

Hoping this means he's closing a stage to avoid The Offspring/Shikari clash, but I think that would be way too sensible and clever for SD.

They've had a DJ do a closing set in the tent after the bands are done, so I'm guessing this is the same deal. Just not this kind of DJ.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, Jonny_Naylor said:

Glad we get an early clashfinder, gives me the next two months to make some horrible decisions.

theyve said those two are clashing

2 hours ago, Jacksamthompson said:

theyve said those two are clashing

I know, and received a lot of backlash for the way they did it. Chucking a DJ closer in the mix would be a perfect opportunity to alternate Shikari and Offspring  closing between North and South and have DJ Fresh close one of the main stages at the same time as the other headliner. But they won't. Cause they're silly.

I'm guessing that if they COULD do a closer on a main stage, they would, and licensing probably means they can't. Putting the DJ in the tent probably means less sound coming from the park and thus that's why they do that when the main headliners are done.

Again, this closing DJ thing isn't new.

Official clashfinder is out, I've updated the South Clashfinder with the times so we can all start clash planning https://clashfinder.com/s/slamdunksouth2023/

Worst clashes for me are Gogol Bordello/Boston Manor, Holding Absence/Dragged Under and Bowling For Soup/Billy Talent/half of Yellowcard, some drunk decisions for the day I think

Fsj2n0PWIAMXG7Q.jpg

Edited by LazyDavid
  • Upvote 2

On 3/30/2023 at 1:59 PM, DomDom1984 said:

I'm guessing that if they COULD do a closer on a main stage, they would, and licensing probably means they can't. Putting the DJ in the tent probably means less sound coming from the park and thus that's why they do that when the main headliners are done.

Again, this closing DJ thing isn't new.

last year live at leeds finished a lot later than slam dunk north. Had to leave partway 2/3s of the way through bbc to make the last train