Searches at the gate

Euphoricape

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Thinking about it, the majority times I've been searched is when I've had a staff EPO wristband and have been searched both leaving and entering the festival. I guess that once the festival is in full swing and there aren't a great deal of people going through the gates, the guards have more time to search people without it slowing down the queue.  I'm not sure if they have financial incentives to catch people (aside from the more dodgy security who just want peoples stash) but wouldn't be too surprised if that was offered by the orgs running them.

As a punter, I don't think I've been searched - definitely no more than a cursory look in my rucksack and a little squeeze to check for glass but nothing more than that.

For those who have 'recreational' proclivities, just don't be stupid and leave anything that can be easily seen in your rucksack / bags and be friendly with whoever is searching you.  By virtue of there being 100k+ trying to get in on Wednesday, they just don't have the time to do thorough searches.  Be friendly,  respectful and understanding and they'll send you on your way.

if you act like an arsehole or stink of weed / smoking a spliff in the queue, chances are they are going to do a thorough search so don't give them a reason to make an exception of you.

When i went in (obviously only been the once) they had multiple lines. short queues for searches and then like 3x as long to just walk through. they were trying to move people to be searched and then they stopped searching so people rushed through. was all a bit strange honestly

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

they were trying to move people to be searched and then they stopped searching so people rushed through. was all a bit strange honestly

Yeah I guess due to the licensing restrictions, they've got to be seen to be taking proactive steps in regards to searching but in practice, it's just not possible to do thorough searches and keep the queue moving at a reasonable pace.  

18 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Yeah I guess due to the licensing restrictions, they've got to be seen to be taking proactive steps in regards to searching but in practice, it's just not possible to do thorough searches and keep the queue moving at a reasonable pace.  

Yeah definitely, although their licensing restrictions are very lax compared to basically anywhere else i've ever been

11 hours ago, gfa said:

Yeah definitely, although their licensing restrictions are very lax compared to basically anywhere else i've ever been

That's somewhat debatable.

Several festivals (specifically nearly anything operated by Live Nation, Superstruct, AEG, or UMG) use "licencing restrictions" to justify the way they choose to set things up when really it's down to commercial reasons - having an Arena setup, restrictions on what can be brought in etc - even when the licence either says nothing of the sort or is only written that way because that's what they chose to apply for.

For example IoW effectively stopped enforcing their Arena and dropped searches part way through the 2021 festival, mainly because they didn't have enough security staff to do so, and as far as I can tell didn't violate the licence in the process.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, Leyrulion said:

I always plan to encounter the bored security who's going to search everything and wants to waste half an hour of their 12 hour shift. 

Short of a police search I'm fairly confident. 

Aso though, never take in for anyone else. The thresholds for personal use are far lower then people think, just takes one cop that wants to stick to the rules and you're fucked for years through the court system. 

This this absolutely this. Saw a girl get stopped. It wasn't loads but clearly holding the group's stash. Head of security spent ages trying to convince her "friends" to own up to it being theirs too so he could give them a slap on the wrist and send them on their way. Her "friends" refused. In the end he took pity and let her go in with advice about choosing better friends but no drugs obviously. He wasn't that generous.

A security guard can only search you and your bag or car if you consent to this. If you don’t consent, then they may not search you. If you enter a club and don’t want your bag searched, they will probably refuse your entry, and you’ll be on your way. 

https://www.get-licensed.co.uk/get-daily/what-security-guards-can-cant-do/

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

This this absolutely this. Saw a girl get stopped. It wasn't loads but clearly holding the group's stash. Head of security spent ages trying to convince her "friends" to own up to it being theirs too so he could give them a slap on the wrist and send them on their way. Her "friends" refused. In the end he took pity and let her go in with advice about choosing better friends but no drugs obviously. He wasn't that generous.

Never ever carry anything for anyone.  If you've got something for them, make sure you give it to them way before you get where you are going! I'm sure none of us need a criminal record, but my FCA license depends on not getting one.

15 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

So be careful and compliant. If you refuse, or run off, you're going to get more attention. 

9 hours ago, incident said:

That's somewhat debatable.

Several festivals (specifically nearly anything operated by Live Nation, Superstruct, AEG, or UMG) use "licencing restrictions" to justify the way they choose to set things up when really it's down to commercial reasons - having an Arena setup, restrictions on what can be brought in etc - even when the licence either says nothing of the sort or is only written that way because that's what they chose to apply for.

For example IoW effectively stopped enforcing their Arena and dropped searches part way through the 2021 festival, mainly because they didn't have enough security staff to do so, and as far as I can tell didn't violate the licence in the process.

I didn't mean like that, just meant the searches are nothing vs London festivals for instance.

I got searched once going in from west campervan and lost some of my stash.

Got searched by the same security guard the next day, had my stash tin on me with no stash - his eyes lit up like saucers thinking he had me again!

Those were the only 2 times I've been searched coming into the festival, even when I've had trolleys with me FILLED with stuff. We've had campervan a few times, and general/disabled camping twice each. 

Depends on time of day, security availability I guess.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I always see people say this but the "consent to a search" thing is a bit misleading. 

If selected for a search it's effectively then compulsory to access the site. If you don't consent then you're not getting in so it's not really a choice. I guess if you can get away without them finding out who you are and using another entrance could possibly work for something like Glastonbury. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

make sure you give it to them way before you get where you are going!

One of my mates used to get a certain commodity for me, and once dropped off my share of the supplies a few days before we were to go down to Glastonbury. The only problem there is that I have the resistance strain of a Kit Kat. The inevitable happened - I had nearly gone through all the gear before I even set off for the festival. Doh!

• Like 1

The Searches are not for drugs, please believe me when I say that the crowd management team don't care about the bag of weed or a few pills, it's there to stop the person attempting to take a machete or some form of firearm or explosive in or someone with possession with intent to supply. 

If you get asked for a search and say no you will be refused entry, these are taken straight from last years terms and conditions of entry. 

"3. The Premises Licence Holder (hereafter “PLH”) and Glastonbury Festival Events Limited (hereafter “GFEL”) reserve the right to: (a) refuse admission in any circumstances, 

(d) in order to facilitate the security, safety and comfort of all guests the PLH and/or GFEL may refuse entry to ticket holders who attempt to enter the licenced Festival site, or any surrounding land used by the Festival (including car parks) that constitutes the Festival footprint, (hereafter the “Festival Site”) with contraband goods and / or prohibited articles. Please refer to www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk (hereafter “Festival website”) for information on items which will not be allowed onsite.

9. You may be searched in the car parks or at the entrance. Any items which the organisers consider may be used in an illegal or offensive manner shall be confiscated. Persons suspected of carrying out illegal and/or offensive activities onsite may be searched. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items or disregarding these conditions will face eviction from the Festival Site. (basically if you hand it over they'll still let you in as long as you're not a dick) 

All taken from https://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Sunday-Ticket-Terms-and-Conditions-2022.pdf this couldn't find this years but will be about the same

In terms of searching on the way out, It gets done at venues where there has been reported pick pockets and phone thefts, so it could be that there has been a string of thefts on site and they believe that people will leave with the contraband. 

I've more than 10 years experience in crowd management both in management roles and on the ground, working venues, tours and festivals, it's all about the big picture and reputational protection. 

1 hour ago, dan05delaney said:

The Searches are not for drugs, please believe me when I say that the crowd management team don't care about the bag of weed or a few pills, it's there to stop the person attempting to take a machete or some form of firearm or explosive in or someone with possession with intent to supply. 

If you get asked for a search and say no you will be refused entry, these are taken straight from last years terms and conditions of entry. 

"3. The Premises Licence Holder (hereafter “PLH”) and Glastonbury Festival Events Limited (hereafter “GFEL”) reserve the right to: (a) refuse admission in any circumstances, 

(d) in order to facilitate the security, safety and comfort of all guests the PLH and/or GFEL may refuse entry to ticket holders who attempt to enter the licenced Festival site, or any surrounding land used by the Festival (including car parks) that constitutes the Festival footprint, (hereafter the “Festival Site”) with contraband goods and / or prohibited articles. Please refer to www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk (hereafter “Festival website”) for information on items which will not be allowed onsite.

9. You may be searched in the car parks or at the entrance. Any items which the organisers consider may be used in an illegal or offensive manner shall be confiscated. Persons suspected of carrying out illegal and/or offensive activities onsite may be searched. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items or disregarding these conditions will face eviction from the Festival Site. (basically if you hand it over they'll still let you in as long as you're not a dick) 

All taken from https://cdn.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Sunday-Ticket-Terms-and-Conditions-2022.pdf this couldn't find this years but will be about the same

In terms of searching on the way out, It gets done at venues where there has been reported pick pockets and phone thefts, so it could be that there has been a string of thefts on site and they believe that people will leave with the contraband. 

I've more than 10 years experience in crowd management both in management roles and on the ground, working venues, tours and festivals, it's all about the big picture and reputational protection. 

Hello dan,

I was at Glastonbury in 2014, and by the Sunday we had ran out of all our supplies. It was at that point that my stepson indicated that he had the phone number of someone who he very vaguely knew, who was working on security that year. So, knowing the bloke partook of 'things' my stepson rang him up. Sure enough, he had kit on him. In fact he had loads of kit on him. He told my stepson that he had loads of all sorts of kit because he said that security had taken (robbed) it off punters coming into the festival and were then selling it back to festival goers over the course of the festival My stepson wasn't best pleased with the news, relayed it to me, his mom, and a few others sitting around. My stepson asked us all 'what shall I tell him (the security bloke)?Tthere was a universal and singular reply, which was that Tom (my stepson) should tell the bloke to 'Go fuck himself'! 

That doesn't exactly tie up with what you have indicated above. 

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello dan,

I was at Glastonbury in 2014, and by the Sunday we had ran out of all our supplies. It was at that point that my stepson indicated that he had the phone number of someone who he very vaguely knew, who was working on security that year. So, knowing the bloke partook of 'things' my stepson rang him up. Sure enough, he had kit on him. In fact he had loads of kit on him. He told my stepson that he had loads of all sorts of kit because he said that security had taken (robbed) it off punters coming into the festival and were then selling it back to festival goers over the course of the festival My stepson wasn't best pleased with the news, relayed it to me, his mom, and a few others sitting around. My stepson asked us all 'what shall I tell him (the security bloke)?Tthere was a universal and singular reply, which was that Tom (my stepson) should tell the bloke to 'Go fuck himself'! 

Obviously not all security are like this its important to remember.

Avoiding drug deaths is 100% part of maintaining reputation.

if they are worried about machetes they'd be searching a lot more

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello dan,

It doesn't... but at the same time in all walks of life you're gonna get some bad eggs who abuse a position of power and trust, theres lots of room for improvement within the event and security industry 

12 hours ago, dan05delaney said:

Gate C security definitely looking for drugs last year.  Two of them, one woman one guy, had dealt with a drug death of a young girl a few years back and when they found drugs on people they were holding them for a while then taking them into a tent for a full search and a chat.  

They were telling their story to the people found with drugs to try and discourage them from taking stuff over the festival.  Some people came out of the tent not bothered, some visibly shaken and one particular young lad came out crying his eyes out bless him. 

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

Gate C security definitely looking for drugs last year.  Two of them, one woman one guy, had dealt with a drug death of a young girl a few years back and when they found drugs on people they were holding them for a while then taking them into a tent for a full search and a chat.  

They were telling their story to the people found with drugs to try and discourage them from taking stuff over the festival.  Some people came out of the tent not bothered, some visibly shaken and one particular young lad came out crying his eyes out bless him. 

That sounds a bit like they were going rogue a bit (possibly with permission) in terms of what the security 'should' be there to do?  I'd be concerned about the welfare of young people coming away from a "full search" crying.

Sounds like there's a lot of truth on both sides of this.  On one hand they're not there for the primary purpose of stopping people bringing smaller amounts in for their own personal use - it's to ensure nobody's smuggling in knives, dangerous dogs, or whatever.  On the other hand once put into that position of responsibility some people take it upon themselves to be evangelical in some misguided sort of way, or in a more coordinated way they profit by abusing their position.  Crowd management might not care about a bag of weed, but they should care about who they employ to enact whatever it is they do care about.

11 minutes ago, p.pete said:

That sounds a bit like they were going rogue a bit (possibly with permission) in terms of what the security 'should' be there to do?  I'd be concerned about the welfare of young people coming away from a "full search" crying.

Sounds like there's a lot of truth on both sides of this.  On one hand they're not there for the primary purpose of stopping people bringing smaller amounts in for their own personal use - it's to ensure nobody's smuggling in knives, dangerous dogs, or whatever.  On the other hand once put into that position of responsibility some people take it upon themselves to be evangelical in some misguided sort of way, or in a more coordinated way they profit by abusing their position.  Crowd management might not care about a bag of weed, but they should care about who they employ to enact whatever it is they do care about.

Thought we decided about 40 years ago this kind of thing wasn't a good idea eh

We all know that most security aren't like this, nor are most security smuggling stuff in / stealing off punters to sell anyway

25 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thought we decided about 40 years ago this kind of thing wasn't a good idea eh

We all know that most security aren't like this, nor are most security smuggling stuff in / stealing off punters to sell anyway

Yeah, think there were a couple of year's (anecdotally from on here), maybe around the time of Yogurt's story, when they seemed to go a bit rogue.  I'm hoping Brixton aftermath puts a lot of positive attention on stewarding and security this year and they are properly resourced to do a great job [reality might be a bit different]

<edit> and that's rogue in terms of swiping lots of drugs for their own benefit, as opposed to using drugs as a front for other things that might be going on in private tents...

Edited by p.pete

On 4/6/2023 at 3:19 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello dan,

That sounds like a similar year to the person I heard of who made massive amounts of cash on security. 

Did they change security contractors since then or am I imagining? 

Having worked festivals all the stories I've heard are about "security and staff are the worst for bringing stuff in". 

Usually less (or no) search on entry, casual contract, pay barely above minimum wage and awful 12 hour shifts. k. 

£12 an hour, 4x 12 hour shifts over the weekend and you'd get £576 before tax. You can see why people get tempted to make a fast buck elsewhere. 

47 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That sounds like a similar year to the person I heard of who made massive amounts of cash on security. 

Did they change security contractors since then or am I imagining? 

I have no idea if the security company's have changed, or not. However, there was talk many years ago that security would get you into the festival for a big wedge of cash.