Heavy Music Releases Discussion

Andre91

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

New Machine Head is great. Massive improvement on that last mess they released. Thankfully no sign of them rehashing their nu metal sound or Rob rapping time around and just a return to big thrashy riffs and huge soaring choruses.

I think it’s a very good album overall. I think Flynn’s power in his roar is actually a bit weaker than usual, although I strangely find his clean singing much better than usual. 

Me and my mate graded the MH albums earlier, just for something to do. Here’s mine. 

A: burn my eyes, blackening
B: TMTC, bloodstone, OKAC.
C- locust
D - the burning red
E: catharsis, supercharger

Edited by JimMacVeigh

18 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Probably a divisive album / band to discuss in a heavy music release thread but Muse’s new album is great. Some serious crunchy riffs and some nice harsher vocals on a few of the tracks. Would be a good album to headline Download off of again.

Nail in the coffin for me. Gave it an honest shot after Bellamy talked about how heavy it was, did nothing for me like their last 4 albums. Muse trying to sound heavy in 2022 produces some incredibly generic sounding bedroom metal and the synth stuff stopped being interesting long, long ago.

Happy for the fans but I'll stick to the first 4 albums. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Nail in the coffin for me. Gave it an honest shot after Bellamy talked about how heavy it was, did nothing for me like their last 4 albums. Muse trying to sound heavy in 2022 produces some incredibly generic sounding bedroom metal and the synth stuff stopped being interesting long, long ago.

Happy for the fans but I'll stick to the first 4 albums. 

Oh yeah nothing compared to OOS, Absolution and Black Holes in my opinion but I prefer it over 2nd Law, Simulation Theory and maybe even The Resistance. I’m just glad they put something out over a greatest hits album that the record label was pushing for, though I can see how some may view it as a “panic album” so to speak.

7 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Well for what it’s worth, it’s already surpassed Simulation Theory’s first-week UK sales (as of Monday) - and that’s even with the general downside of album sales since 2018. 

Doing well on Metacritic too. Think the score is the 2nd highest of all their albums last I checked. Still not critically acclaimed, though.

1 hour ago, FeverDream said:

Doing well on Metacritic too. Think the score is the 2nd highest of all their albums last I checked. Still not critically acclaimed, though.

I like three tracks on it, and the rest are anonymous fillers. 

Which is exactly how I've felt about every other Muse album. 

But tbh, I'm only ever going to be a Greatest Hits fan as far as they're concerned. 

55 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Do you miss The Dillinger Escape Plan? Of course you do! Well here’s something for you. This shit rips:

Nice! I need to check this out.

Also if people need more TDEP type bands, Black Matter Device also put out an album this year and that was so brutal. Easily in my top 10 so far.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3twdrn8SA7JiVGypLJkIdH?si=-cIRxNrKT02ts3JeOVaTeg&utm_source=native-share-menu

Edited by justanothername

Just finished listening to the new Parkway Drive album and I am really bummed to say that I couldn’t give much of a fuck overall. Two (and a half) songs aside (which I’ll go into in a moment), this whole album sounds like the same song, again and again. It’s all Vice Grip but not as good. 

When I heard the 6 minute + title track on its own, I thought it was naff but in the context of the album, it’s really good. It’s a really nice change of pace. There’s a track later called Soul Bleach and yes, it sounds like older Parkway Drive a little more and I appreciate their experimentation (I really do) but its a real shot in the arm after song after song of the same thing. The final track is also quite cool but I think it only stands out because the rest of the album is so forgettable. 

They’ve reached the same place Architects have with this latest album in that everything just sounds too similar now. There’s nothing much that stands out at all. 

I think this is the definition of a 6/10 album and is by far the weakest PWD album.

Edited by Andre91

19 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Just finished listening to the new Parkway Drive album and I am really bummed to say that I couldn’t give much of a fuck overall. Two (and a half) songs aside (which I’ll go into in a moment), this whole album sounds like the same song, again and again. It’s all Vice Grip but not as good. 

When I heard the 6 minute + title track on its own, I thought it was naff but in the context of the album, it’s really good. It’s a really nice change of pace. There’s a track later called Soul Bleach and yes, it sounds like older Parkway Drive a little more and I appreciate their experimentation (I really do) but its a real shot in the arm after song after song of the same thing. The final track is also quite cool but I think it only stands out because the rest of the album is so forgettable. 

They’ve reached the same place Architects have with this latest album in that everything just sounds too similar now. There’s nothing much that stands out at all. 

I think this is the definition of a 6/10 album and is by far the weakest PWD album.

I’ll give it a 7.5. I like it, but it’s not a game changing statement. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never bother will album leaks these days, but the new Slipknot leaked a couple of days ago and way ahead of its official release so I couldn’t resist and have given it a few listens now.

Unfortunately it’s probably their worst album. The singles kind of gave me the impression that we were heading in this direction, but a lot of it sounds totally uninspired, or like it should’ve been on a latter day Stone Sour album instead. Couple of songs stand out, but largely a bit of a ‘eh’ from me, which is unfortunate as WANYK was a fantastic album and I was hoping they might’ve been on a hot streak. 

They’ve more or less confirmed (or at least hinted) that it’s not their final album though so that’s a positive, I suppose…

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I never bother will album leaks these days, but the new Slipknot leaked a couple of days ago and way ahead of its official release so I couldn’t resist and have given it a few listens now.

Unfortunately it’s probably their worst album. The singles kind of gave me the impression that we were heading in this direction, but a lot of it sounds totally uninspired, or like it should’ve been on a latter day Stone Sour album instead. Couple of songs stand out, but largely a bit of a ‘eh’ from me, which is unfortunate as WANYK was a fantastic album and I was hoping they might’ve been on a hot streak. 

They’ve more or less confirmed (or at least hinted) that it’s not their final album though so that’s a positive, I suppose…

Worse than AHIG? Which I regard as their weakest album, albeit it a good album. The first few tracks are stonewall belters. 

5 hours ago, JimMacVeigh said:

Worse than AHIG? Which I regard as their weakest album, albeit it a good album. The first few tracks are stonewall belters. 

Maybe time has made me come around to AHIG a bit as I was certainly no huge fan of it back when it was released (the first few songs + title track aside), but I think this one might be worse, or at least at around the same level. Funnily enough, this one has a couple of songs that remind me of AHIG but for all the worst reasons, and I’d even go as far as to say this new one has one of Slipknot’s absolute worst songs on it. 

Seems to have really divided fans over at the Slipknot subreddit anyway so curious to hear peoples opinions on its official release. 

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe time has made me come around to AHIG a bit as I was certainly no huge fan of it back when it was released (the first few songs + title track aside), but I think this one might be worse, or at least at around the same level. Funnily enough, this one has a couple of songs that remind me of AHIG but for all the worst reasons, and I’d even go as far as to say this new one has one of Slipknot’s absolute worst songs on it. 

Seems to have really divided fans over at the Slipknot subreddit anyway so curious to hear peoples opinions on its official release. 

Certainly that one track they've released is completely derivative. 

Almost like they're working to a found and comfy formula. 

Which is exactly what you don't want from Slipknot. Every new thing I hear from them I want to push and defy boundaries, not safely set up camp within them.

Hopefully the rest of the album will punch through better. 

12 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

Certainly that one track they've released is completely derivative. 

Almost like they're working to a found and comfy formula. 

Which is exactly what you don't want from Slipknot. Every new thing I hear from them I want to push and defy boundaries, not safely set up camp within them.

Hopefully the rest of the album will punch through better. 

Unfortunately derivative is a word I’d use for a good chunk of this one. Hardly expecting a band this far in to their career to be breaking the mould with every album and Slipknot have long ago found and settled in to their niche, but it just seems overly stale on this release, and Stone Sour being on the back burner is more apparent than ever as there are more of Corey’s worst tendencies seeping through here than any other Slipknot album before. 

On 9/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Jericode said:

Electric Callboy's album might be my new favourite of the year so far, really fun listen.

I listened to it (and then properly) for the first time tonight and I think I love them. Seeing that material live would be a right laugh. Looking at the tour they’re doing, they could sub second stage, surely, or play mid main. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I listened to it (and then properly) for the first time tonight and I think I love them. Seeing that material live would be a right laugh. Looking at the tour they’re doing, they could sub second stage, surely, or play mid main. 

I didn't realise they were on album six or seven, then remembered reading about the name change which is why I'd never heard of them before. Plenty to go back and listen to now.

But yes, I've had Tekkno on repeat since I found them, absolutely love it.