Jump to content

Heavy Music Releases Discussion


Andre91
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m sure lots of us are aware of and post in the new music releases thread in the Glastonbury section (a great thread btw). However, I often hesitate posting about heavy releases in there as it’s not always the right audience for it, so I thought it’d start a thread in the DL section where those of us who are more indulged in the worlds of heavy music can discuss and recommend new releases as and when they come out 🙂 

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of my favourite new bands from the last few years is Bokassa who have just released a new albums Molotov Rocktail.  Love the artwok on it!

Molotov Rocktail | Bokassa

Also Ghost have a new song out!

So do Saint Agnes who I saw last week supporting Skindred and were fantastic!

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Ghost hype is starting to ramp up now. I’m eager to hear where they go with this next album as, whilst it has some excellent highlights, I haven’t gone back to Prequelle as a record nearly half as much as I expected to following the excellent Meliora. 
 

I’m giving the new Trivium album a few listens today so will report back later but they are on such a tear at the moment, I think it’s going to be outstanding. 
 

Full of Hell‘s latest release is as disgusting and chaotic as you would expect but isn’t up to the same standard as the last two IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The Ghost hype is starting to ramp up now. I’m eager to hear where they go with this next album as, whilst it has some excellent highlights, I haven’t gone back to Prequelle as a record nearly half as much as I expected to following the excellent Meliora. 
 

I’m giving the new Trivium album a few listens today so will report back later but they are on such a tear at the moment, I think it’s going to be outstanding. 
 

Full of Hell‘s latest release is as disgusting and chaotic as you would expect but isn’t up to the same standard as the last two IMO. 

Yeah, the next album direction will be interesting. It's hard to judge from the new Ghost song what that direction is though as it was written for the new Halloween movie in mind and they apparently invited Papa on set so he could get a vibe of the film. I really hope Papa was in full make up wondering around the set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I’ve listened to In The Court Of The Dragon twice today and I can confirm that it is worth every bit of hype it is getting. It is a really, really great record.

 

You can hear parts of every single previous album in it. Vengeance Falls and Silence In The Snow are both pretty poor records overall IMO but if that’s what they had to go through to make this run of three albums, I am so ok with it. 
 

This is, without doubt, the strongest three album run of their career by a million miles (actually, it’s the first time they’ve released three albums in a row without a dud). It’s hard to say where I’d place it overall so early on but I should think it’ll definitely be Top 5 for sure. 
 

I’ve been binging Trivium a lot recently in the lead up to this release and my ranking is this (not including ITCOTD): 

1. Ascendancy 

2. The Sin and The Sentence 

3. What The Dead Men Say 

4. Shogun 

5. In Waves 

6. The Crusade

7. Silence In The Snow 

8. Ember To Inferno 

9. Vengeance Falls  

Edited by Andre91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Full of Hell‘s latest release is as disgusting and chaotic as you would expect but isn’t up to the same standard as the last two IMO. 

Full of Hell are one of my favourite artists but I always find it takes me a while to get into each of their albums. I quite like the new one off the bat however, it's not their best work but it's what I expected. I think the problem for a band like Full of Hell is that they have such an extreme sound that there is only so far they can push it without repeating what they've already done. I'd probably put this one above Trumpeting Ecstasy but I still think their best work is the Merzbow collaboration and Rudiments of Mutilation.

Edited by justanothername
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, justanothername said:

Full of Hell are one of my favourite artists but I always find it takes me a while to get into each of their albums. I quite like the new one off the bat however, it's not their best work but it's what I expected. I think the problem for a band like Full of Hell is that they have such an extreme sound that there is only so far they can push it without repeating what they've already done. I'd probably put this one above Trumpeting Ecstasy but I still think their best work is the Merzbow collaboration and Rudiments of Mutilation.

I agree! I discovered FOH on Trumpeting Ecstasy and it remains my fave but the last one is a really close second. This new one is really good but it’s the first time since I’ve been into them where I haven’t been blown away by a release; everything on the new one has been done before but to a higher standard for me. That isn’t to say it isn’t great, I think they’re the best at what they do but, like you said, how far can that sound go? 
 

I’m still gutted because they were supposed to be playing a pub in Lincoln (my local city) with Primitive f**king Man last spring but it got canned because of COVID. It still boggles my mind how that tour ended up having a date near us 😂
 

Different note, I’m unsure if you’re a fan, but have you listened to the new Deafheaven record? 

Edited by Andre91
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jump said:

One of my favourite new bands from the last few years is Bokassa who have just released a new albums Molotov Rocktail.  Love the artwok on it!

Molotov Rocktail | Bokassa

Also Ghost have a new song out!

So do Saint Agnes who I saw last week supporting Skindred and were fantastic!

 

Friends of mine are the support band for the up coming bokassa tour, Florance Black and they've just released an album and credit where credits due its an absolute banger  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kaip said:

For me at the moment I can't get enough of green lungs woodland rites, tis an absolute stormer and one of the best albums I've  heard in years 

I was listening to this the other week! Stoner/Doom isn’t something I’m particularly versed in but my mate recommended it and it was fantastic Sunday morning listening! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kaip said:

Friends of mine are the support band for the up coming bokassa tour, Florance Black and they've just released an album and credit where credits due its an absolute banger  

I saw Florance Black a few years ago at Camden Rocks and they were pretty decent live. I look forward to seeing them again with Bokassa.

I'm currently giving the new Ministry album a listen. They aren't doing anything new or innovating here but fuck it delivers. I hoping they do some UK shows next year since they are in Europe anyway.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jump said:

I saw Florance Black a few years ago at Camden Rocks and they were pretty decent live. I look forward to seeing them again with Bokassa.

I'm currently giving the new Ministry album a listen. They aren't doing anything new or innovating here but fuck it delivers. I hoping they do some UK shows next year since they are in Europe anyway.

 

Ministry are playing damnation next year 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Ministry are playing damnation next year 

Ooh, I hadn't heard that. I was hoping for a London show in the Summer but that will do. I have all of these various alerts from things like Bandsintown, Steroeboard etc but I still don't get notified about stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new Trivium album absolutely rips. The couple before this one were definitely a move in the right direction, but this one is on a whole other level imo. Best since Ascendancy. 

4 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

Ministry are playing damnation next year 

The lineup for this is so good. Definitely gonna be getting a ticket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've gotten around to listening to Strange Bones' debut album England Scream. It's load, chaotic and full of pissed off commentary. I'm surprised it's only their first album as I've seen them a few times over the years popping up at various festivals and support slots so I'm hoping they gain some traction now that they have an album.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Are we counting Post-Rock/Emo? If so I recommend Cold Moon, a side project of The Story So Far. 

Absolutely! Basically anything that’s rock/alternative. 
 

Ooh, TSSF are one of my favourite bands so I’ll definitely be checking that out! 
 

On the post-rock / shoegaze topic, Slow Crush have a new record coming out soon. Their last one ‘Aurora’ was fantastic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Only just getting round to the new Dying Wish album and oh my goodness, what a fun time it is. Pure early 00s metalcore (down to the production and everything) but done to such a high standard. Emma Boster is a beast vocalist. 

It’s outstanding. One of my albums of 2021. Grew up with that early 00s metalcore sound so I’m having the best time to this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...