Heavy Music Releases Discussion

Andre91

13 minutes ago, JimMacVeigh said:

It’s outstanding. One of my albums of 2021. Grew up with that early 00s metalcore sound so I’m having the best time to this. 

Reminds me a lot of that Renounced album that came out a couple of years ago but it’s even better. 

Speaking of that early 00s metalcore sound, Wristmeetrazor’s album has been one of my albums of 2021. SeeYouSpaceCowboy (the best one of these sorts of bands imo) have an album out next month too 😄 the singles have been outstanding so far and their last EP was excellent too. 

Edited by Andre91

20 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Reminds me a lot of that Renounced album that came out a couple of years ago but it’s even better. 

Speaking of that early 00s metalcore sound, Wristmeetrazor’s album has been one of my albums of 2021. SeeYouSpaceCowboy (the best one of these sorts of bands imo) have an album out next month too 😄 the singles have been outstanding so far and their last EP was excellent too. 

Loving that Wristmeetrazor album. A proper banger. Get a mix of the Bled vs Eighteem Visions vibes. 

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

They have timed that well since they are named after Cowboy Bebop and Netflix are doing a new Cowboy Bebop show which is out next month too.

I've just been looking up at the support acts for when I see IDLES and I'm now looking forward to seeing Witch Fever too. 

I've been listening to the new Frank Carter album. Based on the singles I went in expecting that every song would sound the same with the only way to tell them apart is by the guest voaclist and it is like that but there's a few tracks that acutally do sound different. Solid album which I liked more than the last one.

Now onto Delilah Bon's new EP for a listen.

2 hours ago, jump said:

I've been listening to the new Frank Carter album. Based on the singles I went in expecting that every song would sound the same with the only way to tell them apart is by the guest voaclist and it is like that but there's a few tracks that acutally do sound different. Solid album which I liked more than the last one.

Now onto Delilah Bon's new EP for a listen.

Really enjoying Sticky so far. Just a really fun record. 

17 minutes ago, JimMacVeigh said:

Really enjoying Sticky so far. Just a really fun record. 

It's a tad too fun though. I don't mind the change of direction from hardcover as much as others but it could do with a couple of tracks of Frank being aggro. Joe Talbot probably gives the angriest vocals on the record.

41 minutes ago, jump said:

It's a tad too fun though. I don't mind the change of direction from hardcover as much as others but it could do with a couple of tracks of Frank being aggro. Joe Talbot probably gives the angriest vocals on the record.

I agree that he could’ve/should’ve given it some more aggro on a few tracks, but overall, I am enjoying it. 
Ive literally just finished it as we speak. Shocked it was so short at 29 minutes! Just breezed by. 

My favourite heavier releases of the year so far are Glow On by Turnstile and Nowhere Generation by Rise Against. 

Yesterday I listened to Sticky by FC&TR and The Atlas Underground Fire by Tom Morello but I’ve probably not listened enough to form a solid judgement yet. Tom Morello’s is a complete mixed bag but the song with BMTH absolutely slaps and while Sticky sounds alright I can’t help but think Frank veers away from the thing he is best at which is the angry vocals, heavy riffs and breakdowns. I’m not saying that his last couple of releases are bad but I want to hear more Crowbars, My Towns, I Hate Yous, Juggernauts & Devil Inside Of Mes as I know he’s got them in him and these sort of tracks have so much more energy and passion. 

Think I need catch up on the Trivium record by the sounds of it. 

Also went to a little heavy festival in September called Burn It Down and saw a band called Phoxjaw who were right for a fairly small new band. They released an album last year called Royal Swan which is well worth a listen. 

12 minutes ago, foolee said:

Also went to a little heavy festival in September called Burn It Down and saw a band called Phoxjaw who were right for a fairly small new band. They released an album last year called Royal Swan which is well worth a listen. 

I've seen a few people praise Phoxjaw now, I need to give them a listen.

Burn It Down for a small fest actually had a pretty cool line up. I just had another look at the poster and there's Never Not Nothing, Jamie Lenman, Saint Agnes, Bob Vylan, Dinosaur Pile Up and some other really good shit there.

20 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah, Joe Talbot would normally have needed to be a very angry man to out-angry Frank, haha.

I do like the new record though

1 hour ago, foolee said:

My favourite heavier releases of the year so far are Glow On by Turnstile and Nowhere Generation by Rise Against. 

Yesterday I listened to Sticky by FC&TR and The Atlas Underground Fire by Tom Morello but I’ve probably not listened enough to form a solid judgement yet. Tom Morello’s is a complete mixed bag but the song with BMTH absolutely slaps and while Sticky sounds alright I can’t help but think Frank veers away from the thing he is best at which is the angry vocals, heavy riffs and breakdowns. I’m not saying that his last couple of releases are bad but I want to hear more Crowbars, My Towns, I Hate Yous, Juggernauts & Devil Inside Of Mes as I know he’s got them in him and these sort of tracks have so much more energy and passion. 

Yeah I’ve seen Phoxjaw a few times around Bristol and they’re great. They’re supporting the Wildhearts at the mo.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:32 PM, kaip said:

For me at the moment I can't get enough of green lungs woodland rites, tis an absolute stormer and one of the best albums I've  heard in years 

Yup, same here. Didn’t listen to it much when it came out but started listening about Feb this year and it’s been one of my most played albums of 2021, despite being released in 2019.

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Royal Swan is brilliant. It was in my Top 10 of the year last year. I still need to see them live. 

I've just listened to the new Asking Alexandria album. They aren't a band I'm normally keen on but I heard Alone Again and thought it was alright so I gave the album a try. It hasn't converted me to be a fan and I can't really tell if it's a good Asking Alexandria album or not to be honest. 

I've currently listening to deux furieuses who I saw at Frank Turner's Lost Evenings a month ago, they are fucking ace live!

42 minutes ago, JimMacVeigh said:

While not as heavy as some of the listed acts…the new Biffy album is another banger. Back to back belters!

Was just coming here to say this and has some heavier stuff on it compared to some of the last few releases. Prefer it already to Celebration and I’ve only listened to it once. 

Death Blooms record is worth a listen as well, watched them at Download pilot and they were very good. The album makes me think Slipknot are a big influence on their sound and some parts also remind me of Korn. 

Edited by foolee

19 minutes ago, Jericode said:

That new Every Time I Die album is really something isn't it?

That, Biffy, and Broco all on one day is just an overload of great stuff, what a weekend.

What a weekend, eh. I have spent all weekend listening to new releases and it’s been fantastic. On top of those you’ve mentioned, Can’t Swim have brought a record out this week which is decent. Slow Crush and Green Lung have both had records out his last fortnight and both are solid efforts. What a crazy month for releases! 

I’ve also been giving some albums a listen from earlier in the year which I haven’t put on in a while:

- That last Cannibal Corpse album is bloody excellent and their best since KILL. 

- URNE’s Serpent and Spirit is wonderful and one of the best out and out metal releases of the year. 

- Even Fear Factory’s album is solid. Metal has had a great year.  

Edited by Andre91