2023 Festival

TheWaters

Despite my lack of fomo for this year I was tempted by a couple of half price tickets for Saturday, just because it's right here and I know I can just get drunk and party. I really hope they make amends next year. Whomever is managing this mess this year is clearly nothing but financially driven and lost sight of what Reading was, treating it like some other city festival. 

Weekend tickets are twice what the relative price given inflation was when I first went, and the lineup back then had bands with at least one and often multiple albums opening most of the stages. I get the album business and stream have changed things since then, but really? How are kids meant to be paying for that if you're relying on The Killers to hold it all together?

35 minutes ago, captainricebox said:

How are kids meant to be paying for that if you're relying on The Killers to hold it all together?

I mean, they did sell out a large-scale UK stadium tour last year (I should know given I was at the Coventry date). But the general thing is just a mess.

Do we expect to see a big change for 2024 or is the buzz that they're just gonna keep on plodding along with this format?

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, they did sell out a large-scale UK stadium tour last year (I should know given I was at the Coventry date). But the general thing is just a mess.

Do we expect to see a big change for 2024 or is the buzz that they're just gonna keep on plodding along with this format?

We’ve nothing really to go off yet, not even Glasto headliners from this year. Looking back, 2019 was the perfect mix of pop and alt, even decent sized bands drawing decent sized crowds in the FR and pit stages, people stood outside for Bowling for Soup (clashed with The 1975) as they couldn’t get in. What a year

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

The Killers crowds on that tour were mostly 30+, leaning towards 40+. Not Reading kind of audience.

1 minute ago, Crafty94 said:

Anyone got any recommendations for the Saturday? I’ve got a day ticket but only really know artists on the main stage and want see someone in the tents. Really want to see Soft Play but probably won’t be able to make it and get a decent spot for the 1975 which is really annoying!

High Vis - smiths instrumentals with mild hardcore-esque vocals

Graphic Nature (if you like heavy nu-metal)

Joey Valence and Brae - the Beastie Boys reincarnated

Fat Dog - another Windmill band (like black midi, BCNR etc) who have just released thier first song

Lucia and the Best Boys - synth pop, saw them support Wolf Alice 

4 minutes ago, Crafty94 said:

Anyone got any recommendations for the Saturday? I’ve got a day ticket but only really know artists on the main stage and want see someone in the tents. Really want to see Soft Play but probably won’t be able to make it and get a decent spot for the 1975 which is really annoying!

Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Somebody’s Child, Georgia, KennyHoopla, Lucia & the Best Boys and Joey Vallence & Brae worth checking out 

Edited by Dukey

2 minutes ago, Dukey said:

Nothing But Thieves, Inhaler, Somebody’s Child, Georgia, KennyHoopla, Lucia & the Best Boys and Joey Vallence & Brae worth checking out 

NBT are already on the list, cheers! Really want to see KennyHoopla but that 1975 clash is killing me, I saw Kenny before and he was amazing but the 1975 are the only real reason I got my mate to commit to buying a ticket tbh! 

1 minute ago, Crafty94 said:

NBT are already on the list, cheers! Really want to see KennyHoopla but that 1975 clash is killing me, I saw Kenny before and he was amazing but the 1975 are the only real reason I got my mate to commit to buying a ticket tbh! 

I’d suggest Sleep Token as well but they clash with the Killers I think! 

57 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That now infamous Georgia gig had it first and quite a few on their summer US gigs did as well. Don’t see how that could possibly work 

Just noticed, si. I know that's been an on/off thing for years - think way back in 2012 they were playing Mr Brightside as an opener quite frequently.

8 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Red is always one of the first to fill up. 

Someone ask around with the stewards and staff etc to see if you can get a rough number out of them on how many attendees they have coming? 

I’ll  report back tomorrow when I get there if I remember, don’t think it’ll be as bad as we think but I’m intrigued

• Upvote 1