2023 Festival

TheWaters

On 8/7/2023 at 4:04 PM, sacred shape said:

Also, I emailed support to ask about bike parking. Apparently there is none and they 'don’t advise arriving by bike'. All the promotion of sustainability and the only way to get to the site is motor vehicle. When I went to Werchter, there were tonnes of cycle spaces and tonnes of bikes parked there.

I’m writing my dissertation on sustainability of Reading and Truck. This is very good information so thank you.

also if anyones attending Reading and would be happy to answer a 5/10 minute interview when we’re there could you send me a message

On 8/9/2023 at 12:27 AM, Benj said:

Think it will depend on where it is and what else is on at the same time.

Also does anyone under 30 know who they are?!

I'm 22 and I reckon almost every single person in my school year would know who they are

11 hours ago, gfa said:

I'm 22 and I reckon almost every single person in my school year would know who they are

Mad. Fair play to them for somehow staying on any kind of radar

What do you know them for? As in how do you think most have heard of them?

13 minutes ago, Benj said:

I think they’re still mostly just known for The X Factor, it was only just over 10 years ago. Kids watching the show at the time will be around 20-25 now. They also had a CBBC show for a few years after TXF. 

They’ve also built up a decent TikTok following in recent years, although that hasn’t translated into anyone caring about their music based on their Spotify stats. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

24 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

I think they’re still mostly just known for The X Factor, it was only just over 10 years ago. Kids watching the show at the time will be around 20-25 now. They also had a CBBC show for a few years after TXF. 

They’ve also built up a decent TikTok following in recent years, although that hasn’t translated into anyone caring about their music based on their Spotify stats. 

There it is, they’d might as well just rebrand it to Tik Tok fest at this point. Irony is they’re sponsored by Snapchat!

1 hour ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Adding on to that, Celebrity Big Brother - and with the revival of ITV2 bringing it back, loads of clips (including with Jedward) are circulating online again. But the main thing is definitely still X Factor.

3 hours ago, Benj said:

Because they were on X Factor and so like iconic on it

They do goof around on other stuff occasionally but its all X Factor

They are very well known - and people would see them for meme value

1 hour ago, stanh said:

Oh adding on to that, it is now paid entry for the silent disco at both Reading AND Leeds😂 £10 Entry* and a £20 refundable deposit... *On the website it states that £10 is the advance rate for entry, so I'd imagine it'll be more in person there. 

Wild, can’t be that arsed about stopping the Sunday night campsite mayhem then 😂.

Realistically who’s going to queue up to collect a headset and spend more cash on the night if they haven’t preordered? Hardly going to be “the worlds biggest silent disco”

1 hour ago, stanh said:

Oh adding on to that, it is now paid entry for the silent disco at both Reading AND Leeds😂 £10 Entry* and a £20 refundable deposit... *On the website it states that £10 is the advance rate for entry, so I'd imagine it'll be more in person there. 

This is gonna flop so bad!

Can’t think of any festival where you have to pay to enjoy the late night entertainment?

I’m guessing they’re doing a similar system to boardmasters. Last time I was at Boardmasters you had to pick up headphones for which you payed a deposit, the que to return the headphones backed up for miles, and then they f**ked off home as early as they could leaving loads of people depositless.

2 hours ago, stanh said:

The festival has even take the fun out of the silent disco.  Who is going to pay £30 up front for something like this? I love going to the silent disco at Leeds when I am feeling spontaneous to do so, I would never pay up front for this.  They say they are aiming for a record crowd, they will end up with the smallest!

Last night we were talking about the year they said they were going to offer loyal punters with a free pint each day and a food token, as the festival got nearer this turned into a free can of beer and a breakfast bap. When you arrived at the festival it was free cans of Skol and a voucher to a breakfast stall that you have to walk miles too, and was only in two locations of the whole site......

I have been going to Leeds since 2007, I have missed one year, this will be the second, and out of all the people I know who attend between the ages of 21-50 (probably around 150 people), not one person is going this year.

9 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I have been going to Leeds since 2007, I have missed one year, this will be the second, and out of all the people I know who attend between the ages of 21-50 (probably around 150 people), not one person is going this year.

Yep, this is my first year not going. I know a very very small handful going this time round, majority have decided to do Creamfields, Lost Village, or just work the bank hol instead. 

42 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Wild, can’t be that arsed about stopping the Sunday night campsite mayhem then 😂.

Realistically who’s going to queue up to collect a headset and spend more cash on the night if they haven’t preordered? Hardly going to be “the worlds biggest silent disco”

Literally! Can't see many people being that arsed about it, reckon the Sigma thing will flop.

42 minutes ago, Radi0Head said:

This is gonna flop so bad!

Can’t think of any festival where you have to pay to enjoy the late night entertainment?

I’m guessing they’re doing a similar system to boardmasters. Last time I was at Boardmasters you had to pick up headphones for which you payed a deposit, the que to return the headphones backed up for miles, and then they f**ked off home as early as they could leaving loads of people depositless.

Yeah, Boardies one I think was just £5, then the deposit. But remember the times I've done it, getting the deposit back was a massive faff, and a long process. At least Leeds has alternatives for late night entertainment, Reading on the other hand... 

7 hours ago, WhoOdyssey said:

Was it, imagine fit was 2005 or something

Time doesn’t fly!

3 hours ago, stanh said:

Yer what?!? Obv well in the hole financially this year.

Thats mind blowing. What next 10 quid to get into the arena each day?

3 hours ago, she bangs the drums said:

The festival has even take the fun out of the silent disco.  Who is going to pay £30 up front for something like this? I love going to the silent disco at Leeds when I am feeling spontaneous to do so, I would never pay up front for this.  They say they are aiming for a record crowd, they will end up with the smallest!

Last night we were talking about the year they said they were going to offer loyal punters with a free pint each day and a food token, as the festival got nearer this turned into a free can of beer and a breakfast bap. When you arrived at the festival it was free cans of Skol and a voucher to a breakfast stall that you have to walk miles too, and was only in two locations of the whole site......

That Skol lager was 2% too 😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonnyisRFC said:

That Skol lager was 2% too 😂

Yeah, there were loads of unopened cans left all over the place haha.

If I remember rightly, they said it was one beer a day. We all thought we’d get a token for the arena bar but they just gave us three warm Skols on the way in on the Friday haha.

Edited by rivalschools.price

22 hours ago, stanh said:

To be fair it means you can actually see all the headliners without having to leave early to avoid the 2 hour queue for the silent disco

---

If you do all 4 nights its only £2.50 a night + no silent disco queue .... really not too bad imo

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, gregory said:

Not sure how they're gonna have the "biggest silent disco in history" with 60,000 people if they are now stating:

1777681871_Screenshot2023-08-1115_00_51.png.183144d8b5feac89c642a2d03760bcce.png

Also; "£10 ticket cost (Limited Advance Price)".

probably rubbish to get people to preorder

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

Mad how this is only a week or so away now. Who's everyone most excited to see?

For me, it's:

1. Foals

2. The Killers

3. Arlo Parks

1. The Killers

2. Yard Act

3. Billie Eilish

Went through it this morning and found about five I’m genuinely excited for with a few more I’m looking forward to (YMAS, Sea Girls, The Snuts, The Amazons, Palaye Royale, Sleep Token, Wet Leg, Don Broco)

• Upvote 1