2023 Festival

TheWaters

Really does feel naff this year as mentioned. No fanfare around the announcement, barely a peep from the R&L socials and one of the six  (at the very least) headlienrs won’t be a surprise in Billie Eilish with Sziget/EP getting the jump on R&L 

It would’ve been something if they’d announced first and said Billie, Fender, Paramore or whoever it’s going to be and made a real statement of intent with it. We might’ve actually been excited then.

It seems like, at long last, we’ve come to accept that the lineup is going to be a sack of shit. We’re certainly acting like it!

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

Really does feel naff this year as mentioned. No fanfare around the announcement, barely a peep from the R&L socials and one of the six  (at the very least) headlienrs won’t be a surprise in Billie Eilish with Sziget/EP getting the jump on R&L 

It would’ve been something if they’d announced first and said Billie, Fender, Paramore or whoever it’s going to be and made a real statement of intent with it. We might’ve actually been excited then.

It seems like, at long last, we’ve come to accept that the lineup is going to be a sack of shit. We’re certainly acting like it!

Exactly this. A surprise for me would be RATM but I really really cannot see R&L touching them again.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s 

Sam Fender // Foals

The Killers // Lewis Capaldi 

Billie Eilish // Imagine Dragons

See you in the morning for the undercard!

Can’t really argue the popularity of five of them, but they’d be so out of touch booking Imagine Dragons, especially on Billie’s day. They were shite when they were actually relatively popular

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

Can’t really argue the popularity of five of them, but they’d be so out of touch booking Imagine Dragons, especially on Billie’s day. They were shite when they were actually relatively popular

Swapping Imagine Dragons out with a heavier headliner like QOTSA or The Black Keys would make it stronger for me.

7 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

Tbh I think they were limited by who is actually touring, as next year looks really weak for options.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s 

Sam Fender // Foals

We've known that for a while, and the undercard was revealed on page 138 yesterday...

NBT, Yungblud, Central Cee, Tom Grennan, Trippie Redd, Becky Hill etc 

21 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Outside the names mentioned:

Kendrick Lamar | Gorillaz | Metallica

21 Pilots | Doja Cat | Queens of the Stone Age

Metallica? They’re playing 2 headline sets at download. There’s more chance of me turning up and playing my banjo string on stage for 2 hours then them turning up. I don’t even have a banjo string.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Tbh I think they were limited by who is actually touring, as next year looks really weak for options.

I wouldn’t mind if they weren’t putting ticket prices up as well. There must be people at FR HQ that know they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. They shouldn’t push for six headliners if they can’t book six acts worthy of the slot.

2 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I wouldn’t mind if they weren’t putting ticket prices up as well. There must be people at FR HQ that know they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one. They shouldn’t push for six headliners if they can’t book six acts worthy of the slot.

This will be an interesting year for the festival industry as a whole tbh. Rising costs, rising prices and a weak roaster of acts to pick from.

I wonder if some will struggle to sell out. I think Billie’s day will sell out this year but that’s about it.

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s 

Sam Fender // Foals

Personally think this is a fantastic set of headliners. Sure, Imagine Dragons suck but you can't win them all. This is the best set since they lengthened it to 6 headliners

11 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

We've known that for a while, and the undercard was revealed on page 138 yesterday...

Are you more confident in your pairings though?

9 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

So:

Sam Fender, Tom Grennan // Foals, NBT

The Killers, Yungblud // Lewis Capaldi, Becky Hill 

Billie Eilish, Trippie Redd // Imagine Dragons, Central Cee

are we about there?, with KSI potentially a sub instead?

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This will be an interesting year for the festival industry as a whole tbh. Rising costs, rising prices and a weak roaster of acts to pick from.

I wonder if some will struggle to sell out. I think Billie’s day will sell out this year but that’s about it.

Obviously remains to be seen what the likes of Y Not, Truck, Tramlines etc do but they could capitalise on bigger festivals that are grappling with the problems you mention. Punters wont have as much to spend this year anyway never mind if the lineup isn’t up to much. Close to £300 for the rumoured headliners isn’t good value for me in the current climate at all.