Olympic Games 2020

Punksnotdead

After hearing about the funding a lot through the games with some competitors not getting any at all I looked up what sports have received.  There's been a lot of talk about the rowing team's failing in this Olympics and how much funding they received, quite disappointing considering the female BMXers got nothing and brought home gold.  I understand the funding is distributed on chances of medals but surely every competitor should get help to attend the games to be able to compete.

https://www.uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/current-funding-figures 

The problem we have here is that, the BBC, contractually, can only show 2 live events at a time, so they are not showing the women's skateboarding or many other sports actually. Other broadcasters who charge are showing it. This is just how it is.

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Wow the women's skateboarding today was one of the most wholesome things I've ever seen! So much support for each other. Love it.

I thought that was lovely all really there for each other.

I watched the climbing yesterday.apart from the speed climbing I will not be watching that again, not really very interesting to my eyes (I did watch the womens qualifier to the end mind)

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

I thought that was lovely all really there for each other.

I watched the climbing yesterday.apart from the speed climbing I will not be watching that again, not really very interesting to my eyes (I did watch the womens qualifier to the end mind)

Yeah I thought the speed climbing was great - like a rat up a drain pipe! The rest of it was boring as fuck!

17 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Karate Kata, up there with Dressage as the most boring event at the Olympics.

I'm with you there!  Red button said watch Karate, so I did, and that was on.  My initial thoughts ranged from WTF, to this looks like someone trying to scare off a bully by pretending they 'know karate'.  Weird.

54 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Karate Kata, up there with Dressage as the most boring event at the Olympics.

I was quite surprised they included it, I had assumed that they would just go for competitive sparring. Kata is definitely one for  the purists, your average viewer has absolutely zero idea what's good and what isn't.

You could say the same about gymnastics or diving in terms of the fine detail of what constitutes a good score for the judges, but they manage to be a bit exciting to watch for anyone just because flippy spinny stuff always looks cool. Kata does not.

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Meh, it was all little kids being all smiley. Get rid I reckon.

Come on, think about what you are saying. The South African guy was 46 BTW.

The camaraderie amongst skaters is unique and very genuine, I can vouch that. True.

The 50k walk is on now. The complete opposite of the skateboarding last two nights, i.e. boring. 

Has anyone ever met, known, or shown an interest in anyone or anything conectted to Race Walking? 

Skaters by contrast are without exception C.A.F.