news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, Haan said:

problem with climate change, same as with covid, is you need to act early before it's too late...and it's based on scientific models that people will always dispute. What we do in next decade is so important for the future of this planet.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

problem with climate change, same as with covid, is you need to act early before it's too late...and it's based on scientific models that people will always dispute. What we do in next decade is so important for the future of this planet.

I totally agree with the need to tackle climate change head on and all the science.

However this framing of it is a bit disingenuous. The rate of CO2 emissions had a massive drop over the last year due to the pandemic, so of course as things get back to normal, as the amount of emissions reverts to pre-pandemic levels, the year-on-year increase will appear huge. If you're using this metric, then the drop in emissions in 2020 could be seen as some kind of victory for green policies, which it absolutely is not.

19 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I have been to a couple of live NFL games and when you sit in the stadium you get a real appreciation on why it takes 3 hours and how much strategy, organisation and planning goes on.  Its not true its just slowed down for TV ad breaks etc.

Its always been a unfair swipe on the yanks to say the have a short attention span.

I've been to an NFL game too, and it was absolutely thrilling. Long certainly, but very entertaining.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I hate to agree with Barry Fish, but I agree with Barry Fish. After a while would just be boring. I actually find a lot of football boring anyway...really need the likes of Leicester/WestHam/Leeds to make things interesting,  and another thing that annoys me is the constant need for all male politicians everywhere to pretend they support such and such a club...a prerequisite for proving they are blokey blokes who are in touch and have real lives etc etc.

Leeds are simply a greed club that were shit at working the greed bit 

47 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its always been a unfair swipe on the yanks to say the have a short attention span.

lazy stereotyping sadly.

However as a species our attention spans in general are getting shorter (I assumed in the west when I heard it and put it down to tech)

Edited by fred quimby

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Man, it's always Scotland with you.

And why not anyway. Any team can beat any team on the day. Leicester can win the premier league. Greece can with the Euros. Wigan can win the FA cup. Celtic have won european cup more times than Arsenal or Spurs.

One league winner from every country, knock out. Less money. Less bollocks.

It's always pointing out shit if that equates to Scotland with you that's between you and Scotland.  Wheen was the last time the Scottish champions had a decent run in the CL. 

Edited by eFestivals

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I see the Welsh want their budget stolen 3%for Hamilton. The geezer is an arse hole who didn't know he was Welsh until he saw a route back into politics. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's always pointing out shit if that equates to Scotland with you that's between you and Scotland. 

Classic.

Southerner froths at the mouth with hatred and disdain for Northerners, Scots and Welsh - doesn’t understand why they want independence..

30 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You’re confusing the Leeds of old under Risdale and Bates with the current ownership. I have no doubt that either of our previous two owners would have sold their own mothers in order to get in on this ESL bollocks. 

Our management now is far more ethical and are there for the fans. It’s amazing what a turnaround they have done in recent years. 

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's always pointing out shit if that equates to Scotland with you that's between you and Scotland.  Wheen was the last time the Scottish champions had a decent run in the CL. 

Maybe cause the amount of money up here isn't at the ludicrous levels it is down south?

Celtic have been awful in the champs league recently but rangers have got to the europa knockouts last 2 seasons. 

19 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour leading the way. 

If the ESL was not unanimously unpopular and instead was warmly received by the public, you can bet your house that Starmer would be right on board with it. Weathercocks and signposts to paraphrase the late great Tony Benn.

The former leader however was a true trailblazer.

51D4ACD9-CB26-4D4A-9C3E-E430A3042D07.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Classic.

Southerner froths at the mouth with hatred and disdain for Northerners, Scots and Welsh - doesn’t understand why they want independence..

tell me how hamilton isn't an aresholre whivch would surely make you a kipper.

and  show me the great run of results by celtic and rangers in the cl in recent yesrs

your weclcome to indie if theres the real support for it. if its won by lies that only means your politicians are like the english ones you want to escape from.

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

If the ESL was not unanimously unpopular and instead was warmly received by the public, you can bet your house that Starmer would be right on board with it. Weathercocks and signposts to paraphrase the late great Tony Benn.

To be honest I fully agree with Corbyns stance on football and once again some of his ideas are now being looked at. 

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I guess Ashley was in the news then....no mention of the shitty owners of Arsenal etc.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess Ashley was in the news then....no mention of the shitty owners of Arsenal etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2017/may/31/jeremy-corbyn-arsenal-league-arsene-wenger-election-labour

Perhaps not specifically but he’s been consistent - this policy (5% of PL tv money to grassroots) from 2017.

A lot of progress in politics is:

- the left produced an idea based on what achieves the best outcomes for the people

- the left are ridiculed because those who profit from the inefficiency know they’re on borrowed time, they exploit with even more fervour

- circumstances change and demonstrate the need for the idea with more urgency

- the rest of the political parties eventually adopt the idea, it becomes mainstream and is implemented

Edited by mattiloy

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/copa90/2017/may/31/jeremy-corbyn-arsenal-league-arsene-wenger-election-labour

Perhaps not specifically but he’s been consistent - this policy (5% of PL tv money to grassroots) from 2017.

A lot of progress in politics is:

- the left produced an idea based on what achieves the best outcomes for the people

- the left are ridiculed because those who profit from the inefficiency know they’re on borrowed time, they exploit with even more fervour

- circumstances change and demonstrate the need for the idea with more urgency

- the rest of the political parties eventually adopt the idea, it becomes mainstream and is implemented

No mention of Kroenke.