news & politics:discussion

zahidf

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

More money knocking about back then...  We sold off the gold for example...

the gold was a depreciating asset, there was widespread economic advice at the time suggesting it was better sold off. the sucess with the nhs was mostly due to  better funded social care, cos councils weren't  having their govt grants cut and looking to save money.

Edited by Neil

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Trump’s gonna win and face Biden, all whilst he goes to court for all sorts of things. It’s gonna be mental. 

Face biden and lose to him again trump is going to be forced to admit he lost as part of the Georgia case, and that will damage him. Although trump is expert at making it all about trump.more ridiculous than trump is the American people who Will vote for the wannabe dictator.

Legally, the Georgia case may represent the biggest legal peril for Trump to date. If he wins the presidential election next year, Trump cannot pardon himself, something he could theoretically do if he is convicted on similar charges pending in federal court. In Georgia, a defendant must serve five years in prison before a pardon is even considered by the state board of pardon and paroles. Unlike many other states, the governor of Georgia does not have the ability to unilaterally pardon people.

from

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/15/georgia-indictment-trump-election-plot-analysis

20 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Mine isn't! ☹️

Same here. I was made redundant and had to take a significant pay cut (no jobs on a similar wage would take me on) and we have a mortgage going up by £200 a month in November. Throw in childcare costs as well and it’s all going to be very tight.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Inflation down to 6.8%. Good work Rishi. Energy prices coming down show that interest rates are working.

Yeah really good news. Still expect we'll be up to 5.5 IR in Sept, but is it too optimistic to think that might be the peak? Probably. But does feel like a big win to shave 1.1% off in a month.

Edited by cellar

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

Yeah really good news. Still expect we'll be up to 5.5 IR in Sept, but is it too optimistic to think that might be the peak? Probably. But does feel like a big win to shave 1.1% off in a month.

Been coming down elsewhere cause drop in energy prices, just we seem to be lagging behind for some reason. Core inflation not down though so yes I guess interest rates will go up some more.

15 minutes ago, cellar said:

Core inflation unchanged and big pay rises. More IR rises to come for sure. Imagine they’ll hit 6 at least. Inflation is still way above target.

At my work we got offered 7% followed by 3 for next year which could be decent if inflation does die down but terrible if it doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Core inflation unchanged and big pay rises. More IR rises to come for sure. Imagine they’ll hit 6 at least. Inflation is still way above target.

At my work we got offered 7% followed by 3 for next year which could be decent if inflation does die down but terrible if it doesn’t. 

Yeah I fully expect 6, just being naively hopeful 😀

We’ve been given a “cost of living” extra allowance in our wages which was then incorporated into an official wage increase along with the usual inflationary wage increase. 

This extra cost has of course been passed to our customers who will of then passed those increased costs to the consumer of that product which is why the goods you’re buying are getting more expensive and you need further wage increases to keep up….

and the cycle continues

The inflation news today whilst ok isn’t exactly great news. Inflation is essentially falling because of energy prices which were always going to fall as the issue is supply side driven. Which shows that the BoE raising interest rates has nothing to do with these figures. Core inflation remains stubbornly which only puts further pressure on people’s finances especially when combined with all the other pressures too.