news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so my gen x and boomer mates who have paid off their mortgages will be ok...it's the millenials that this is all going to hit hard, the poor mugs who have massive mortgages. I have no idea about zoomers...I mean...they're just f**ked altogether right?

the oldies who have paid off their mortgages* aren't getting the upside that others are getting from an increase in income, because pensions (private or state) won't increase by a margin to cover inflation.

*hoping that might be me, fixed term runs out early next year so  we're looking at the best ways to deal with a new mortgage term - at a stretch we can probably get a personal loan to see off the last of the mortgage, for no more expensive than a mortgage but with more flexible repayment terms.

Tbh I do drop the odd report on particularly egregious comments from a certain someone... 

Think Ozanne has been reporting every post I make for like 3 years now so hey ho. 

I think there should be a rule where you can only mod if you haven't been banned before. Maybe I'll send in a wee application!

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its not on topic correct but if it takes a few pages to sort then so be it .... id much prefer not to be getting the reports tbh I think people are capable of not resorting to the stuff that's been discussed .... thread is a bin fire at times and whilst you are never going to be all mates and agree on everything an announce of just being respectful to other humans would be a great thing at a time when many might be having issues outside this thread .  The worlds a mess we don't need it to be the same on efests . happy to take DMS to try and sort this mess out too . 

You see some of the abuse and horrible language that gets thrown around in here, I think we could do with less of that and to be honest the forums need a better blocking system. We should be able to block people from seeing/interacting with our own posts like on Twitter.

I’m happy to discuss it over DMs too so drop me one if you fancy. 

Edited by Ozanne

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

no necessarily 'profiteer' - try to cover their costs, many are having the better days cover the costs for the less good days, and that's not sustainable, if they're going to be demonised as 'profiteering' for trying to have some economic equilibrium by increasing prices then recession and unemployment is what inevitably follows.

To be fair I was talking more about your blue chip firms that hoik their prices but could easily absorb the slight hit to their margins. 

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

oil and gas companies ? blatant profiteering ?

making hay while the sun is shining, its going on all round to different extents, many prices hadn't increased for a decade or so (while some costs had increased, so lots of firms are taking the opportunity of now to increase prices to a profitable level).

1 minute ago, Neil said:

the oldies who have paid off their mortgages* aren't getting the upside that others are getting from an increase in income, because pensions (private or state) won't increase by a margin to cover inflation.

*hoping that might be me, fixed term runs out early next year so  we're looking at the best ways to deal with a new mortgage term - at a stretch we can probably get a personal loan to see off the last of the mortgage, for no more expensive than a mortgage but with more flexible repayment terms.

State pension increases with the triple lock. Public sector pensions also do just fine with inflation too. 

Also if you're mortgage is paid off then you don't have the single biggest expense most people have and therefore need way less income to thrive.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You see some of the abuse and horrible language that gets thrown around in here, I think we could with less of that and to be honest the forums need a better blocking system. We should be able to block people from seeing/interacting with our own posts like on Twitter.

not sure what the forum software is capable of tbh @eFestivals? one for you 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

making hay while the sun is shining, its going on all round to different extents, many prices hadn't increased for a decade or so (while some costs had increased, so lots of firms are taking the opportunity of now to increase prices to a profitable level).

I mean it's huge money ... not like they struggled before really .  

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

State pension increases with the triple lock. Public sector pensions also do just fine with inflation too. 

the govt shaved the increase in state benefits last year so it wasn't the full inflation level.

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

ok, sure...but younger people who have mortgages or rents going up and also inflation have got a double whammy (unless they're those who got nice big pay rises).

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

I mean it's huge money ... not like they struggled before really .  

lots of businesses have been quietly struggling not having  increased prices for a long while. but they have had to pay  increased wages, and had to pay increased employer NI costs too, and anything else you can think of.

not sure what the forum software is capable of tbh @eFestivals? one for you 

I don’t think there is tbh, I Googled it recently. It’s a glaring flaw in the privacy aspects of Invision, we should be able to control who can interact with us especially if they have been attacking/bullying us for a prolonged period of time. But they haven’t put that functionality in for some reason.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, sure...but younger people who have mortgages or rents going up and also inflation have got a double whammy (unless they're those who got nice big pay rises).

reckon there must be youngsters getting decent rises my kid is in an already generous first -post-grad-job at £37k had no shame in asking his boss for £50k). think boss said no..... my kid got he idea from somewhere that asking for  £50k was ok.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You see some of the abuse and horrible language that gets thrown around in here, I think we could do with less of that and to be honest the forums need a better blocking system. We should be able to block people from seeing/interacting with our own posts like on Twitter.

So why don't you call Stevie out when he posts abuse? You just want to ban people who you dislike or disagree with, it's time to live in the real world, there are people out there who think differently from you, you will learn more from discussing things with people you disagree with than just repeating the same old arguments with people who share your view. I disagree with almost everything you post but I'm not going to block you despite how infuriating your view is at times. I come on here for a alternate viewpoint that challenges my own ideas. A wide range of opinions is healthy, echo chambers are not.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

lots of businesses have been quietly struggling not having  increased prices for a long while. but they have had to pay  increased wages, and had to pay increased employer NI costs too, and anything else you can think of.

yeah but not the oil and gas ones that I specified .... 

yeah but not the oil and gas ones that I specified .... 

same thing applies with them that their margins have been shaved over the last few decades or so. increased selling cost due to world prices normally means an increase in the extraction licence payment (it's defo that for uk extraction licences).

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

reckon there must be youngsters getting decent rises my kid is in an already generous first -post-grad-job at £37k had no shame in asking his boss for £50k). think boss said no..... my kid got he idea from somewhere that asking for  £50k was ok.

well, inequality is not just between generations, it is still intragenerational.

Intragenerational, like that?!

6 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So why don't you call Stevie out when he posts abuse? You just want to ban people who you dislike or disagree with, it's time to live in the real world, there are people out there who think differently from you, you will learn more from discussing things with people you disagree with than just repeating the same old arguments with people who share your view. I disagree with almost everything you post but I'm not going to block you despite how infuriating your view is at times. I come on here for a alternate viewpoint that challenges my own ideas. A wide range of opinions is healthy, echo chambers are not.

I disagree with everything you post but I don’t want you banned. I haven’t ignored your posts but equally it would be a subjective reason if I don’t want to see your posts. I want action taken against the bullies of this forum or the ability to prevent them from seeing my posts.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

well, inequality is not just between generations, it is still intragenerational.

Intragenerational, like that?!

can't be so bad here, my kid spent 6 months living in Canada, and i suggested to him that he might think about a different country for his life, and he said he wanted to stay here  - but quite fancies berlin ( he isn't learning German).