news & politics:discussion

zahidf

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

well...she had to go I guess, it was the leak to the press that was the nail in the coffin.

She probably did but the right wingers getting involved surely highlights their hypocrisy over cancel culture?

Edited by Ozanne

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Farage was literally cancelled by his bank.

I don’t care about Farage, I’m saying the right constantly moan about the left wanting people to be cancelled yet they go about wanting the same thing.

Also the Tories didn’t do anything when P&O Execs fired all their staff yet now suddenly they can get involved when it’s a high profile right winger that’s impacted. 

On 7/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, Neil said:

he govt has forced clean air zones on councils both Bristol and Manc were forced to introduce clean air zones by the govt.

In Bristol it was definitely partially a Marvin special, with some absolute nonsense around the placement that encourages a lot of vehicles to spend 10 more minutes driving around avoiding it because they put a lot of turns and car parks just inside it.

Not to mention the impact on businesses of making it impossible to drive and park in the city centre in mid-November + December. Particularly with the state of public transport in this city.

13 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Yeah I get you but I’m just kinda like why even say you’re gonna do X in the first place if you’re just gonna backtrack on it. It’s just insincere 

Only had the policy in the first place cos they had their arm twisted behind their backs. They'd committed to a system like Scotland's which clearly doesn't work it collapsed in chaos within a week.

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

Only had the policy in the first place cos they had their arm twisted behind their backs. They'd committed to a system like Scotland's which clearly doesn't work it collapsed in chaos within a week.

I'm not just talking about gender reform, it's been several things they have reverted on under any scrutiny and there will be more to come 

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm not just talking about gender reform, it's been several things they have reverted on under any scrutiny and there will be more to come 

sometimes its right to alter direction, such as when a law in a particular form has been shown to be a crock of sh*t. people should be criticising them if they'd not changed direction with this.

Edited by Neil

On 7/22/2023 at 8:07 PM, pink_triangle said:

To me they are two different conversations. One is the most effective way to get children out of poverty and I was querying if that may be to increase benefits.

The second question is what can you sell to voters and I think taking people out of poverty by increasing benefits is a tough sell. I think it’s something he may do in power , but not something he is going to let the torys (and media) twist against him in an election campaign.

So I am basically back in Starmer as a person, rather than a list of pledges that may or may not be possible as circumstances change. I see him as someone who is in politics for the right reasons and easily could be making more money doing something else. The painting of him as a plastic Tory is silly in my view. I think his heart is in the right place and in power he will do good. He may be over cautious, but it’s a minor flaw compared to some of the previous leaders of the big 2.

I'm curious as to who you think Labour is still standing up for. They're not standing up for immigrants, refugees, queer people, disabled people, part-time workers, public sector workers, protestors, or impoverished families. 

Yes, Starmer's Labour will be better than the Tories, but they've literally said they don't want to offer hope. They've scrapped so many pledges and promises that all I see left is "trust us to be better", but they're not telling us how. They're not giving a reason to trust them, or any way in which they will be better.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Labour dropping pledge for self ID for trans people, correct or not? To me this is a really challenging issue and I struggle to know what is right. From labour perspective I don’t think it’s an issue to get tied up over.

It's wrong. There's a lot of misinformation and abuse targeted at trans people and facts and arguments are twisted to try and reframe abuse as punching up.

Women's rights are more under threat by police officers than by trans women, and that's even before the fact that there are more trans men than trans women.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

It's wrong. There's a lot of misinformation and abuse targeted at trans people and facts and arguments are twisted to try and reframe abuse as punching up.

Women's rights are more under threat by police officers than by trans women, and that's even before the fact that there are more trans men than trans women.

Yup. The anti-trans people are so obviously bigoted as well. Look how they transitioned in Italy to being anti-trans to homophobia. 

I wonder if this will lead to Starmer re-appointing Rosie Duffield to the front bench? It does seem quite a shift.

I thought it would happen though after what happened to the SNP.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

sometimes its right to alter direction, such as when a law in a particular form has been shown to be a crock of sh*t. people should be criticising them if they'd not changed direction with this.

From an electoral perspective it makes sense, why would they look at what happened to the SNP and want to have any risk at all that it would happen to them? That wouldn’t be very wise. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

From an electoral perspective it makes sense, why would they look at what happened to the SNP and want to have any risk at all that it would happen to them? That wouldn’t be very wise. 

Weren't you saying a couple of months ago it was purely a culture war issue and people saying it could damage labour electorally were bad faith actors?

10 minutes ago, lost said:

Weren't you saying a couple of months ago it was purely a culture war issue and people saying it could damage labour electorally were bad faith actors?

Sounds like ozanne to be fair. If the words ‘bad faith actors’ was used it was defo him cause he’s the only one who says that phrase