news & politics:discussion

zahidf

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that’s a dodgy use of statistics. Turnout was down by 20 percent, on that basis your going to struggle to get much more

Instead of voting labour they just didn't bother voting. What will they do next year?

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Instead of voting labour, they just didn't bother voting. What will they do next year?

I suspect supporters of both parties stayed at home, at this time of the year many are on holiday and doubt many would go to the effort in a by-election when turnout are traditionally down. In a general election turnout will improve and that may mean labour lose the seat, but this isn’t a seat labour need to win.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I suspect supporters of both parties stayed at home, at this time of the year many are on holiday and doubt many would go to the effort in a by-election when turnout are traditionally down. In a general election turnout will improve and that may mean labour lose the seat, but this isn’t a seat labour need to win.

Boundary changes means Selby becomes easier for Labour to get/keep so they might not end up losing it. 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Ok..but I mean do the maths.

Anyway, from what I can gather there is a massive anti govt feeling amongst Tory voters  but they're not necessarily going to labour, they're not necessarily going anywhere yet.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Boundary changes means Selby becomes easier for Labour to get/keep so they might not end up losing it. 

Im disappointed to see some “so called” labour supporters going on about what school the new MP went to and the fact he did some work for someone who was a Tory MP many years ago. Why not give the bloke a chance. Fact is if they had put forward a very left candidate he may not have won in an area that is not very left.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Ok..but I mean do the maths.

Anyway, from what I can gather there is a massive anti govt feeling amongst Tory voters  but they're not necessarily going to labour, they're not necessarily going anywhere yet.

I mean from my perspective to get 3000ish more votes, in an area which has consistently voted Tory, with 1/3 less of the votes to fight over seems a pretty good result. I’m not sure what people would be consider a good amount of votes to win.

Im sure there are Tory voters who won’t vote labour and stayed at home, I hope some will make the same decision next year.

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Instead of voting labour they just didn't bother voting. What will they do next year?

lots of tories cannot vote labour same as this labour cannot vote tory.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

But will they vote in the general election, and if they do who for?

Same asv seen in those stats ^, stay at home