news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Matt Hancock sends all his whatsapp messages sent during covid to Isabel Oakeshott at the Telegraph to help him write his book. Doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box.

As per the Chilcot enquiry, It'll be years after and a whitewash when nobody cares anymore. What we needed at the time was journalists to actually do their job and question things.

At least things are starting to drip out earlier now. Last week the U.S had new evidence it came out of a lab and now our political class seemed to be lying and didn't have a clue what they were doing.

I think any inquiry should just be what to do next time, not so much in punishing anyone. By all accounts we had plans for a flu outbreak, but not a coronavirus outbreak. There isn't an easy answer to how to deal with a pandemic, but maybe next time there will be a bit less of the handwashing and a bit more proactive measures on actually dealing with an airborne virus.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

How envious are the nerds in this thread of my parents who watched PMQs from the gallery today

I would love to do this. I was in a Question Time audience at the House of Commons once. Charlie Kennedy and Deborah Meaden on the panel. Was a fun experience, although was shitting myself they might pick my question throughout (they didn't and no I can't remember what it was). I used to watch QT religiously but can't cope with it now.

5 hours ago, lost said:

Last week the U.S had new evidence it came out of a lab

Well you say that, the agency claiming lab origins was doing so "with low confidence", which I wouldn't exactly call a conclusive analysis of covid's origins just yet, not least as other US government agencies have reported back different results.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I remember doing the Houses of Parliament tour back in 2012 the day after that year's Jubilee. Was quite an interesting experience and certainly quite something to see it in person. Not quite the same activity I'm guessing you'd get to watch PMQ's live though.

They still do them, it’s not that expensive either. Any constituent can go to PMQs, I think you can ask your MP and if they have spare tickets then it’s free to go. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would love to do this. I was in a Question Time audience at the House of Commons once. Charlie Kennedy and Deborah Meaden on the panel. Was a fun experience, although was shitting myself they might pick my question throughout (they didn't and no I can't remember what it was). I used to watch QT religiously but can't cope with it now.

did you get on tv?

10 hours ago, lost said:

Matt Hancock sends all his whatsapp messages sent during covid to Isabel Oakeshott at the Telegraph to help him write his book. Doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box.

the guardian does a good job of  slaughtering oakshott here

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/01/isabel-oakeshott-the-journalist-who-turned-over-matt-hancock

32 minutes ago, Neil said:

Oh she's got an agenda with what's been leaked but it doesn't mean there isn't some juicy stuff in there.

Seems they didn't believe there was any way to stop inter generational transmission of the virus to the "at risk groups" and so for that people who were at no risk from it had 2% of their healthy life pissed up the wall.

It does present Boris as the hero fighting against Mancock's authoritarian policies.

Edited by lost

20 minutes ago, lost said:

Oh she's got an agenda with what's been leaked but it doesn't mean there isn't some juicy stuff in there.

Seems they didn't believe there was any way to stop inter generational transmission of the virus to the "at risk groups" and so for that people who were at no risk from it had 2% of their healthy life pissed up the wall.

It does present Boris as the hero fighting against Mancock's authoritarian policies.

not stop, but reduce...dampen the wave or whatever it was