news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It’s for reasons like this we need a proper plan in place that keeps the energy firms in place. I shudder to think the impact this type of email would do to someone’s mental health. 

If I was a good son rather than jumping on social media I would be on the phone to BG to explain themselves.

I just want to say my piece on this. I am apathetic about the monarchy. For my tax pounds they make a lot of people happy. But we are looking at a momentous part of history. While people bitch about it on our living memory no one will forget The Queue. Years in planning yet days in executing. This is an end of an era and I think people realise that. I don't see the point in mocking them. 

We are looking ultimately at the end of empire with the loss of the realms and maybe the end of the "monarchy" in my time (I am 54). You will never forget this time and no matter what it will be important.

5 hours ago, lost said:

I bet if they'd of stuck say Michael Jackson out. Definitely. Still remember some of the scenes from the 80's around him.

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

For sure you’ll always get people that would queue up to see their own heroes if they are lying in state. As I’ve been saying it’s each to their own and it’s not doing any harm. It’s quite sweet in a way.

Think it's fair to say people will be more careful with who's afforded such an honour after this in 2011: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2011/nov/08/jimmy-savile-coffin-public-display 

ok, I know f all about this commonwealth thing so did a bit of wikipedia...there are 15 countries which have monarch as head of state, they include Australia, Canada, Jamaica and also Antigua and Barbuda who have said they will have a referendum on binning this...and then there 35 republics and 5 with their own monarchs the quitters. So, we could see few more of those 15 become republics, but remain in commonwealth?

Got this from our energy supplier..

We are of course in the middle of an unprecedented energy crisis, in terms of both price and supply - with the climate crisis still there in the immediate background.

The answer to all of these is to urgently build new sources of renewable energy and get to a place where we are independent of the global fossil fuel markets that are at the root of all of this. We have enough wind and sun to make all of our electricity this way, and enough grass to make all of our gas - as our recently published report shows.

We are continuing to do this as a company, with two new Sun Parks and our first Green Gas mill due to be operational in a few more months.

Meanwhile we are affected by the situation in the energy market, a number of costs are simply unavoidable.

As October approached you may be aware that Ofgem announced an intended 80% rise in their price cap. We made our own calculations and prepared to announce a 60% rise.

But last week the government intervened - which is something we had been calling for, for many months - with a price cap of their own (called the Energy Price Guarantee). From October, the government are limiting energy bills to £2,500 per year (for an average user) and will pay the difference between that and Ofgem’s price cap. Perhaps more significantly the government has said that they will do this for the next two years - which should mean this is the last price rise for two years.

I think we’ll all be glad to have a break from this seemingly endless cycle.

This government intervention is worth about £1,000 a year to an average home - and it applies to Ecotricity customers.

As a result our October price rise will be 17.4% rather than 60% while OFGEM’s price cap will rise 27% not 80% - that’s how big this intervention is.

Our new annual price is £2,814 per year (this is an increase of 5.5% for electricity and 30.4% for gas) up from £2,397 now.

Last year we were typically about £400 per year more expensive than Ofgem’s price cap, from October it will be about £300 - as we continue to make efficiencies while still investing in new generation. That’s good news but still means we cost about £6 more per week - due to our nature as a genuinely green energy company and the investment we make in building green generation.

And though I appreciate the incredible loyalty our customers have shown us over the years and through this crisis - I would much prefer that anyone who may struggle to pay this extra amount leave us and move to a price capped tariff with another supplier. This crisis will end, perhaps in a year or two - and anyone that does need to leave now will be more than welcome to rejoin when bills are more affordable all round.

By the way, everyone is still also going to get an additional £400 discount spread out over the winter months, under the EBSS scheme.

If you’ve got questions on the process, or want to dig deeper on why green energy prices are being forced up by fossil fuel spikes, we’ve gone into some more detail with some FAQs online here.

Thanks for being with us,

Dale Vince
Ecotricity Founder

19 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I don't hate the queen - I do find the idea of having a modern day monarchy to be really strange and frankly laughable. 

Why? They’re a tourist attraction and generate a lot of money for the economy. 
None of that exists without the faux power and importance they hold. 

Those of you that get triggered by rich people having children and those children taking over once they move on….I assume you’ll be calling for an impoverished family to take over the running of Worthy Farm and Glastonbury Festival when Michael dies? 

7 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Why? They’re a tourist attraction and generate a lot of money for the economy. 
None of that exists without the faux power and importance they hold. 

Those of you that get triggered by rich people having children and those children taking over once they move on….I assume you’ll be calling for an impoverished family to take over the running of Worthy Farm and Glastonbury Festival when Michael dies? 

Eh? One is a family ran business, the other is a constitutional monarchy and head of state.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Got this from our energy supplier..

We are of course in the middle of an unprecedented energy crisis, in terms of both price and supply - with the climate crisis still there in the immediate background.

The answer to all of these is to urgently build new sources of renewable energy and get to a place where we are independent of the global fossil fuel markets that are at the root of all of this. We have enough wind and sun to make all of our electricity this way, and enough grass to make all of our gas - as our recently published report shows.

We are continuing to do this as a company, with two new Sun Parks and our first Green Gas mill due to be operational in a few more months.

Meanwhile we are affected by the situation in the energy market, a number of costs are simply unavoidable.

As October approached you may be aware that Ofgem announced an intended 80% rise in their price cap. We made our own calculations and prepared to announce a 60% rise.

But last week the government intervened - which is something we had been calling for, for many months - with a price cap of their own (called the Energy Price Guarantee). From October, the government are limiting energy bills to £2,500 per year (for an average user) and will pay the difference between that and Ofgem’s price cap. Perhaps more significantly the government has said that they will do this for the next two years - which should mean this is the last price rise for two years.

I think we’ll all be glad to have a break from this seemingly endless cycle.

This government intervention is worth about £1,000 a year to an average home - and it applies to Ecotricity customers.

As a result our October price rise will be 17.4% rather than 60% while OFGEM’s price cap will rise 27% not 80% - that’s how big this intervention is.

Our new annual price is £2,814 per year (this is an increase of 5.5% for electricity and 30.4% for gas) up from £2,397 now.

Last year we were typically about £400 per year more expensive than Ofgem’s price cap, from October it will be about £300 - as we continue to make efficiencies while still investing in new generation. That’s good news but still means we cost about £6 more per week - due to our nature as a genuinely green energy company and the investment we make in building green generation.

And though I appreciate the incredible loyalty our customers have shown us over the years and through this crisis - I would much prefer that anyone who may struggle to pay this extra amount leave us and move to a price capped tariff with another supplier. This crisis will end, perhaps in a year or two - and anyone that does need to leave now will be more than welcome to rejoin when bills are more affordable all round.

By the way, everyone is still also going to get an additional £400 discount spread out over the winter months, under the EBSS scheme.

If you’ve got questions on the process, or want to dig deeper on why green energy prices are being forced up by fossil fuel spikes, we’ve gone into some more detail with some FAQs online here.

Thanks for being with us,

Dale Vince
Ecotricity Founder

Lol ‘we’ve been calling for a tighter price caps for ages’. I mean they could’ve just kept the prices lower and taken the hit themselves but now there’s money in it for them they ran ahead to proclaim themselves as the saviours we all needed.

This cost of living is really going to bite in the coming weeks but so many are distracted at the moment.