news & politics:discussion

zahidf

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Lol β€˜we’ve been calling for a tighter price caps for ages’. I mean they could’ve just kept the prices lower and taken the hit themselves but now there’s money in it for them they ran ahead to proclaim themselves as the saviours we all needed.

wholesale gas prices have gone up because of the russia-ukraine thingy. The cap reflects this wholesale price. Many companies would just go bust if they took the hit themselves.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

wholesale gas prices have gone up because of the russia-ukraine thingy. The cap reflects this wholesale price. Many companies would just go bust if they took the hit themselves.

Then those companies should be nationalised.

The energy crises was around before the Ukraine war.Β 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Then those companies should be nationalised.

The energy crises was around before the Ukraine war.Β 

yes, maybe they should, especially as govt is now partly funding them.

And Yes, energy prices were going up due to lockdowns ending, but have gone up significantly more due to Russia-Ukraine.

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yes, maybe they should, especially as govt is now partly funding them.

And Yes, energy prices were going up due to lockdowns ending, but have gone up significantly more due to Russia-Ukraine.

Oh yeah the war is a major issue but prices were an issue before that. The Tories are trying to claim it’s solely to do with the war.Β 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh yeah the war is a major issue but prices were an issue before that. The Tories are trying to claim it’s solely to do with the war.Β 

to be fair sunak did bring in that windfall tax and benefit payment thing to help with what they thought would be future cap back in March...but since then prices have gone up so much more...hence cap freeze etc. It is how that is funded is the big question...going to cost more than furlough, more than 2008 bank bailout...huge...and no windfall tax to help pay for it...and Β£30bn of tax cuts on top....and still for many people the price rise will be too much, so maybe there will need to be an increase in a payout to lower income households, although no word of that.

Just been looking at the top tourist attractions on a few sites … can’t see the royal houses \ castles on there … maybe I’m looking in the wrong place ? I’d imagine if not they might also remain popular without a monarchy ?  … and could generate some income in other waysΒ 

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Just been looking at the top tourist attractions on a few sites … can’t see the royal houses \ castles on there … maybe I’m looking in the wrong place ? I’d imagine if not they might also remain popular without a monarchy ?  … and could generate some income in other waysΒ 

Travelodge?Β