news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

That's what I am saying - there is a lot of faux outrage online about ITV running this but it is missing the point!

Agreed, if it means 1 family gets bills paid then great for them but how in 2022 are we in this position in the first place!?

Edited by Ozanne

2 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Your point was that a very small proportion of the electorate actually voted for Truss. A fair point, worth making.

I was merely countering, saying that Brown got into office with zero % of the electorate voting.  (Same as May). But all I'm saying is that Labour can't claim some sort of electoral unfairness, when they did the same. 

And in the same way, Truss will get kicked out in a couple of years too!

I wasn't speaking on behalf of Labour, just me 😊

My point was merely that she's less popular (even just amongst her own party who made the decision) than all her recent predecessors. 

I only mentioned the electorate as I had the percentage to hand. 

Might be a small business rate coming too.. 130 billion to freeze household energy bills & £40 billion for small business.

Thats pretty much the entire NHS yearly budget over 5% of gdp

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Where does everyone stand on the This Morning Spin to Win controversy? They have changed the prize today to all household bills for 4 months rather than just energy. I can see why people have kicked off but ultimately the show is providing an opportunity to win some money to help and it is surely a symptom rather than a cause?

Don’t really see what the big fuss is. I’ve seen plenty of game shows in the past that had prizes along the lines of bills paid for a year. Wasn’t dystopian then and isn’t now.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

So apparently Truss will cap energy bills at £2,500 (with the £400 discount on top). So she’s allowing bills to go up and expecting us to pay it back. 

Aren't they say freezing at current price cap, so £1971? Pretty much would save us from the worst of it this winter...just not sure how will all be paid back yet.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Aren't they say freezing at current price cap, so £1971? Pretty much would save us from the worst of it this winter...just not sure how will all be paid back yet.

Apparently not, it’s been said the price cap will be around the current figure of £1,971 because it would be £2,500 cap with the £400 discount Rishi announced. 

12 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Was one sneaking in booze to number 10. Sneaky Starmer.

He laid many traps in the Commons that Johnson ended up falling for and orchestrated the Commons voting for the Privileges Committee hearing. 

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh, right.

And not to be paid back through bills, but by state (tax/debt)?

Yeah, so whilst it won’t be added onto bills it will over time be paid back via taxation.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

anyway, people will criticise her plans, but it is still a lot more than many expected, and will probably stop inflation getting too high and cost of living being a total disaster for millions this winter.

oh yeah, the tories will save us all. :lol: 

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

anyway, people will criticise her plans, but it is still a lot more than many expected, and will probably stop inflation getting too high and cost of living being a total disaster for millions this winter.

Interest rates might go up further than they would have because of this.