news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Glastoboy said:

What if it had been a labour government overseeing this?

the tories would have hammered it home, its lucky labour weren't in power during the pandemic, would have given tories a decade of slurs about profligate labour spending

12 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

Somewhere along the way we got used to the figure of a BILLION pounds being bandied around. It's worth taking a moment to remember that it is 1000 x million pounds.

So with the £13bn PPE waste, plus the £4.2bn fraud write off alone (ignoring all the other government waste & corruption which probably dwarfs these figures) that's 17, thousand, million pounds. Just imagine how that money could have been used to help the needy or been invested in actually, honestly, levelling up deprived areas in this country. It makes me sick to the stomach.

In addition the tabloids and ch5 still love stoking hate with a good benefits swindle story but we're all ok with Liz Truss using 500k of tax payers money on a private jet to Australia? I bet we paid for the food & booze at the number 10 parties too. I'm fucking sick of it all.

I think all the figures associated with government are so large they are difficult to comprehend. Would be better if they were reported as a percentage of the budget.

Just looked it up out of curiosity and in 2016-2017 the government spent £772 billion so £13bn would be 1.68% of the budget in a normal year. Which doesn't sound too bad, but then we only spent £46bn on defence that year so if you think of it as almost a third of what we spend on defence it's ridiculous. Or another example would be transport, which we spent £29bn on that year, so for an extra £13bn you would think we could totally revitalise transport. Even health, which is the 2nd largest expense, we spent £145bn so that waste of £13bn would be equivalent of being able to give the NHS almost 10% more to spend.

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I think all the figures associated with government are so large they are difficult to comprehend. Would be better if they were reported as a percentage of the budget.

Just looked it up out of curiosity and in 2016-2017 the government spent £772 billion so £13bn would be 1.68% of the budget in a normal year. Which doesn't sound too bad, but then we only spent £46bn on defence that year so if you think of it as almost a third of what we spend on defence it's ridiculous. Or another example would be transport, which we spent £29bn on that year, so for an extra £13bn you would think we could totally revitalise transport. Even health, which is the 2nd largest expense, we spent £145bn so that waste of £13bn would be equivalent of being able to give the NHS almost 10% more to spend.

A good perspective. Can you give a link to those figure please.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just endless garbage coming out of Johnson's gob and his backbenchers cheering to the rafters. What a shitshow.

Starmer doesn't seem to want to bring up partygate today...I guess save all that for another day.

Starmer has to focus on the cost of living as otherwise it’s a wasted session on Johnson just saying ‘wait for the police investigation’.

Starmer once again had Johnson, there’s no answer to the questions apart from ‘vaccines’.

Starmer has been brilliant in the last few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

When you look at how protected Old Man Biden is from any sort of reasonable questioning then I wouldn't be so quick to call PMQ pointless to be honest.  I think PMQs is still important - some weeks more than others.

I think the opposite. If the platform through which the government is supposed to be held to account, can actually be used to spread more lies... then it's not fit for purpose. Change the rules or throw it in the bin.

6 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I think the opposite. If the platform through which the government is supposed to be held to account, can actually be used to spread more lies... then it's not fit for purpose. Change the rules or throw it in the bin.

yeah, does seem a waste of time apart from the entertainment factor...like on Monday. And pointless comparing with US as they have a different system.