news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Sure Mr Shandy pants 🙂   

You might have a point if we are going as north as Scotland - but not around Manchester etc 🙂   Its beer me old mucker 😄 

Think of the countries known for spirits Scotland Russia and those known for beer UK and Germany and you'll realise that beer is a southern drink

On 5/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, steviewevie said:

said:

Mark Drakeford approves universal basic income pilot in Wales - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/universal-basic-income-trial-work-20613496?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Think this is similar to the Scandinavian model. Don’t know much about it to make an informed response to it, and a major question for me is how it would be funded. But I look at it as something that could be a positive in that people may have business ideas but always worried about taking a plunge and going for it, but with this security going for it. Or people unhappy in their job and use it as opportunity to retrain. I would consider using the extra cash to pay for me to train in psychological therapies to enhance my career opportunities. Then again I might have the wrong end of the stick altogether

2 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

Mark Drakeford approves universal basic income pilot in Wales - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/universal-basic-income-trial-work-20613496?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Think this is similar to the Scandinavian model. Don’t know much about it to make an informed response to it, and a major question for me is how it would be funded. But I look at it as something that could be a positive in that people may have business ideas but always worried about taking a plunge and going for it, but with this security going for it. Or people unhappy in their job and use it as opportunity to retrain. I would consider using the extra cash to pay for me to train in psychological therapies to enhance my career opportunities. Then again I might have the wrong end of the stick altogether

theres no model to work from no one has worked out the funding anomolie including its inflationary effectss...in your case you want others to fund your career change that only you benefit from and which might not have you contributing more in tax to cover the shortfalls.

me im not impressed by psycho the rapist as i meet a lot of them at the moment, and who aren't interested in tracking down the work of others who've done the same book tests.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

in your case you want others to fund your career change that only you benefit from 

Blimey - that is a bit harsh . Who made you the arbitrator of what others can benefit from. Perhaps that career change would help someone through difficulties who then are able to become a Dr who in turn will save hundreds of lives. or to allow them to help hundreds of people who then maybe able to work again and pay tax. 

me im not impressed by psycho the rapist 

I know you are on your phone and I am not very good either with them either, but that one is great.

11 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Blimey - that is a bit harsh . Who made you the arbitrator of what others can benefit from. Perhaps that career change would help someone through difficulties who then are able to become a Dr who in turn will save hundreds of lives. or to allow them to help hundreds of people who then maybe able to work again and pay tax. 

I'm simply pointing out what he said his hopes are from ubi which he's of course allowed to have just as others are allowed to object to funding them.

I know you are on your phone and I am not very good either with them either, but that one is great.

Psychotherapist =psycho the rapist. It wasn't a typo.

I get hassled every day at the moment by pyscho the rapists who have an overly high opinion of their worth from where I'm sat. They're more interested in the power trip than what they might achieve.

Edited by eFestivals

I cant recommend irish economist David McWilliams’ podcast highly enough generally for a topical and brilliantly insightful regular digest of the issues of the day - But here a really good episode on Israel Palestine:

4 hours ago, mattiloy said:

I cant recommend irish economist David McWilliams’ podcast highly enough generally for a topical and brilliantly insightful regular digest of the issues of the day - But here a really good episode on Israel Palestine:

Cheers will give him a listen

• Upvote 1

Just watching schnapps talking bollocks about the railways... He's going to run more trains on tracks that are at capacity.

He says the railways have £12bn of taxpayers money.... he might as well say let's by the better paid a BMW to go to work in?

The railways under one company is likely to cause an improvement. But the improvement will be limited because the problems run deeper than management decisionsthe proble!ms start at in consistent govt funding which doesn't allow for long term planning and then all come from that..it's yh the same problem as existed before privatisation. Where the govt would rather cut the subsidy than increasetaxes to pay for a bigger subsidy.

Just watching schnapps talking bollocks about the railways... He's going to run more trains on tracks that are at capacity.

He says the railways have £12bn of taxpayers money.... he might as well say let's by the better paid a BMW to go to work in?

The railways under one company is likely to cause an improvement. But the improvement will be limited because the problems run deeper than management decisionsthe proble!ms start at in consistent govt funding which doesn't allow for long term planning and then all come from that..it's yh the same problem as existed before privatisation. Where the govt would rather cut the subsidy than increasetaxes to pay for a bigger subsidy.

They asked him will single-day tickets be cheaper and he waffled on - think that means day trippers are going to foot the cost for the reductions in season tickets (if they happen) etc?

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

They asked him will single-day tickets be cheaper and he waffled on - think that means day trippers are going to foot the cost for the reductions in season tickets (if they happen) etc?

8 think you're right they implied that day tickets will cost more than that portion of a season ticket.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

8 think you're right they implied that day tickets will cost more than that portion of a season ticket.

That’s how most sales work. If you buy anything in bulk you generally get it cheaper than buying things individually. 

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That’s how most sales work. If you buy anything in bulk you generally get it cheaper than buying things individually. 

But these new season tickets are not a standard bulk buy they're about giving something for nothing.

As soon as schannps said he'd run more trains it was clear he doesn't understand the issues with the railways..... The lines are at capacity more trains is not an option.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Isn't that the whole point of HS2...  Move the intercity services onto their own tracks so we free up capacity of more local trains.  I remember that being one of the arguments.  We are way off more capacity 😛 

Yeah thats the point of HS2 to increase capacity for more local services. We are at capacity now.