news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I only caught this via the radio report this morning so don't know all the details but the idea for this more flexible season ticket sounds a good idea considering the way people are going to use offices in the future - more hybrid.

its poorer taxpayers subsidising the better paid

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I remember a season ticket used to save me nothing as it was based off 5 full days traveling and only saved move if you was going to do 6/7 days a week.  Pointless.

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

So, now tories are renationalising the railways I might have to start voting for them.

Are they going to renationalise the buses too?

They aren’t. Funny how theyre pretending to though. Almost as of it were a popular policy.

Up the ruddy Corbs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

all helps with the defund the bbc battle to come.

Because TV will be so much better without the BBC as a quality to o compare other stuff too I wonder how many of the anti BBC's have watched much USA TV.

And I'm not meaning the better stuff which is able to be sold to broadcasters over here.

Edited by eFestivals

On 5/20/2021 at 9:35 AM, eFestivals said:

But these new season tickets are not a standard bulk buy they're about giving something for nothing.

As soon as schannps said he'd run more trains it was clear he doesn't understand the issues with the railways..... The lines are at capacity more trains is not an option.

Also people are asking for flexible season tickets as they're planning on travelling less, so I'm not sure why increasing capacity is such a burning issue at the moment.

(I was massively pro-HS2, having to regularly do that route at peak time and seeing the capacity issues first hand, but people on a regular Midlands-London commute are likely going to be the first to want to embrace this new flexible working thing)

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Because TV will be so much better without the BBC as a quality to o compare other stuff too I wonder how many of the anti BBC's have watched much USA TV.

And I'm not meaning the better stuff which is able to be sold to broadcasters over here.

yeah, true...I love the bbc...well, parts of it...but I think it's days are numbered in the way it is funded...and these sort of stories will help the govt get the public to support it's anti bbc thing.

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, true...I love the bbc...well, parts of it...but I think it's days are numbered in the way it is funded...and these sort of stories will help the govt get the public to support it's anti bbc thing.

As with trains, as with health, as with schools, the beebs in need of fairly major reforms.

Unfortunately the tories approach to reform is how to make this remunerative for us the tories, rather than for the end users the general public.

36 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

As with trains, as with health, as with schools, the beebs in need of fairly major reforms.

Think the biggest thing that needs to be sorted with the beeb is for people decide what it should actually be. I am a fervent defender of them but I do have some sympathy with the argument that it's a bloated organisation trying to do too much - since the advent of the internet it's got even worse, the good food website by itself is massive and monopolizes that space for a lot of people. BBC Sounds is another, where the idea seems to be to get people locked into just listening to BBC pods which shouldn't be the remit of a publicly funded broadcaster. 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I'm not sure it'll be easier for the govt to knock down the BBC than it would be to kill the NHS. There's a similar national attachment to both. 

Edited by eFestivals

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The funniest thing from it all is Will trying to pretend his dad wasn't a massive c**t to his mum and its all the BBC fault.

Other way round too... She was shagging around reputedly.... Will Carling Bryan Adams will's ginger haired dad, and they're only the ones that got known about.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Instead of destroying the BBC can't we just destroy the monarchy instead?

Agreed. Annoying that the bashir thing is being spun from - bashir coaxed Diana into giving an interview - into bashir made Diana say the things she did in the interview and the royal family is alright after all.

However the interview happened, it was a good thing it did, a watershed moment in casting light on the oppressive, clandestine and callous inner workings of the royal family. Fuck em.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1

A change of leadership and the introduction of mandatory deselection and a broad culling of the compromised MPs of the PLP, followed by a radical manifesto and a front footed, aggressive approach to relations with the media. Thats Labour’s only hope. Instead its bland policies, dancing to murdochs tune, bending over backwards to try to placate those who are not left wing in any sense of the word- the fast track to sub 20% in the polls. 

Corbyn’s folly was that he was too passive towards those who undermined and smeared him. Thats all. Labour just needs a ruthless Corbyn.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

A change of leadership and the introduction of mandatory deselection and a broad culling of the compromised MPs of the PLP, followed by a radical manifesto and a front footed, aggressive approach to relations with the media. Thats Labour’s only hope. Instead its bland policies, dancing to murdochs tune, bending over backwards to try to placate those who are not left wing in any sense of the word- the fast track to sub 20% in the polls. 

Corbyn’s folly was that he was too passive towards those who undermined and smeared him. Thats all. Labour just needs a ruthless Corbyn.

Given Murdoch’s age, he won’t be around forever. Who do you think will control the media once he goes? Or will his legacy be enough to push his agenda?

16 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I tend to agree with you, Corbyn for all his good ideas just wasn’t the most savvy of politicians so maybe a ruthless Corbyn would be able to do something.

Saying that I’m not writing Starmer off yet, I think there are still opportunities where Labour can claw back against the Tories and some of those moments are coming up. We’ll see but it does look pretty bleak at the moment.