Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Controversial takes: Taylor Swift is a load of bollocks, and im absolutely befuddled by the idea of her headlining any stage, let alone the pyramid. 

I’m not sure how controversial this is around here, actually. Seems to be pretty evenly split between killjoys pining for a festival that never existed, and people who just want to have a fun time. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m not sure how controversial this is around here, actually. Seems to be pretty evenly split between killjoys pining for a festival that never existed, and people who just want to have a fun time. 

I can legit see the point in people seeing a fair few artists that I have no interest in - for example I had no interest at all in Billie Eilish, but I’m quite glad that someone so young headlined, and I’m chuffed for people who absolutely love her. Arctic Monkeys are equally as uninteresting choice for me, but I can see why people would want to bounce around and give them a watch. Fleetwood Mac, another hot tip that I have no interest in, again I can see why people would want to see em. I don’t like Springsteen, but so many people are into him, of course I can see the point in him headlining.

but Taylor Swift is just . . . It’s a nothing, it’s an absence, there’s absolutely nothing there. I just can’t see the attraction at all. the only redeeming thing in her musical career is that YouTube video with the goat - now that made me laugh, I enjoyed that. Well, I liked the goat, not her bit. I just can’t see  anything redeemable at all. Not only in a ‘not for me’ kind of way, which I’m quite used to and happy with, but more of a ‘is this some sort of weird joke I’m not privy to’ kind of way. 

7 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I can legit see the point in people seeing a fair few artists that I have no interest in - for example I had no interest at all in Billie Eilish, but I’m quite glad that someone so young headlined, and I’m chuffed for people who absolutely love her. Arctic Monkeys are equally as uninteresting choice for me, but I can see why people would want to bounce around and give them a watch. Fleetwood Mac, another hot tip that I have no interest in, again I can see why people would want to see em. I don’t like Springsteen, but so many people are into him, of course I can see the point in him headlining.

but Taylor Swift is just . . . It’s a nothing, it’s an absence, there’s absolutely nothing there. I just can’t see the attraction at all. the only redeeming thing in her musical career is that YouTube video with the goat - now that made me laugh, I enjoyed that. Well, I liked the goat, not her bit. I just can’t see  anything redeemable at all. Not only in a ‘not for me’ kind of way, which I’m quite used to and happy with, but more of a ‘is this some sort of weird joke I’m not privy to’ kind of way. 

Apart from the goat reference that's exactly how I feel about adele 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Fair enough, I mean - each to their own. But I'm baffled at why you struggle so much with Taylor's popularity or critical acclaim. Almost as if you've got some kind of blind spot.

I thought Taylor Swift's folky album with Bon Iver was decent. But don't get the hype either. But as said above, could be worse. Could be Adele.

Would it be controversial to say you can't headline unless you have 3+ albums? (or is that the controversial glastonbury opinions...?)

1 minute ago, moogster said:

Would it be controversial to say you can't headline unless you have 3+ albums? (or is that the controversial glastonbury opinions...?)

Number of albums is irrelevant.

Just need to be good and lively, get people going for the late night partying.

17 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Fair enough, I mean - each to their own. But I'm baffled at why you struggle so much with Taylor's popularity or critical acclaim. Almost as if you've got some kind of blind spot.

I can’t see the hype around Taylor Swift either but I accept that loads love her and most of her fans would probably turn their noses up at my musical choices too.

At 52, I’ve long given up trying to work out what others see in artists that I’m not a fan of:

Music above anything is the perfect example of ‘each to their own’ coming into play.

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Stormzy and Oasis both headlined on one album.

I don't know Stormzy further than hearing his set was good but checked the Oasis thing out of curiosity. It was indeed before the release of Morning Glory BUT they did include some of the tracks in the show.

34 minutes ago, moogster said:

I thought Taylor Swift's folky album with Bon Iver was decent. But don't get the hype either. But as said above, could be worse. Could be Adele.

Since this has turned into "well liked artists I don't get", stick Bon Iver on that list for me. Baffled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was excited to see Springsteen because everyone says he's so great but that 2009 set bored the shit out of me. Not one for the casuals.

In terms of songs it goes:

1. Dancing in the Dark

2. Born to Run 

3. Born in the USA

Everything else he's made. And he didn't even play Born in the USA.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I mean, fair enough. But he has similar songs to the above.  So nit really sure why someone would be cool with Born To Run but not fuck with Thunder Road from the same album which is cut from the same cloth - and probably even better.

I guess it's the thought of trudging through the albums to find the gems that is off-putting!