Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Saw them last night and can confirm this is true! Always seem to only catch them at festivals, really need to see one of their own gigs as festival sets are too short and I always want more!

Have they still got 2 drummers? I thought they were down to 1 after Eric left?

2 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Nick Cave is durdge (I may or may not have made that word up)

Never knowing heard his stuff, 6Music played one this AM and I considered driving off the A46 just to make it stop - slight hyperbole there I do not endorse any form of self harm.

Controversial indeed…especially round these parts! 😁

having witnessed 2 hours 15 minutes of absolute perfection from the man and his assembled cohorts on Saturday night, I’ll respectfully disagree! 

2 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Never knowing heard his stuff, 6Music played one this AM and I considered driving off the A46 just to make it stop - slight hyperbole there I do not endorse any form of self harm.

Played one

I'm a Nick Cave fan and I could easily find one of his tracks that is " durdge".

Have a go at listening to some of his earlier stuff, but make sure it's with either The Bad Seeds or The Birthday Party.

I can understand not liking Nick Cave listening to it on the road to work or something like that. I need to play his stuff at the right moment. But it's always ace live. Quite amazing energy when you see how old he is. There's some Mick Jagger power there. I had to double check I saw his age right last time I googled it after seeing him.

Maybe he should not be a Pyramid opener though. His pre Mumford and Sons set, if I remember well, was brilliant.

Edited by moogster
Edited to rephrase the age thing that may have sounded like you can't be a great performer after 60, which is BS

4 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Totally agree, I felt suicidal by the end of his 2009 Glastonbury set, wish I'd have just fucked off by myself for a bit , as none of my group wanted to move after Madness. 

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Played one

I'm a Nick Cave fan and I could easily find one of his tracks that is " durdge".

Have a go at listening to some of his earlier stuff, but make sure it's with either The Bad Seeds or The Birthday Party.

The track was prob quite poignant, something about Kevin & a bird, in a tree or something - but his voice sounded like a pair of football socks filled with concrete going round in a tumble dryer, it was specifically his voice that I did not like.

6 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Agreed. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve never been a massive fan of queen, just think in terms of classic rock their music has always been a bit “entry level”. Plus a lot of people who blast queen are usually quite insufferable. The band has also become a favourite of tories (strangely?).

It’s probably my most unpopular opinion but I find their music always a bit too cheesy to the point where I can’t enjoy it casually at all. No real depth to it what so ever.

I’ve always found Freddie very talented as a vocalist and I actually love Freddie as a person. I’ve never gelled with queens music though!

Queen did stop performing when Freddie died.

Two of their members continued to perform Queen songs under the Queen+ banner. Whether you want to go and see them is entirely up to you (I haven't) but why should they stop performing music they contributed to if they wish to do so?

There is clearly a cheesey side to Queen, certain songs would have trouble shaking off that banner but they have also written some exceptional songs which sadly don't get the exposure stuff like Radio Ga Ga and Crazy Little Thing do.

Liar, Sheer Heart Attack, It's Late, Spread Your Wings, Take My Breath Away, Stone Cold Crazy, Brighton Rock... I could go on, fabulous songwriters.

We all know they won't do it but Queen+ AL would be one of the great Glastonbury headline sets.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:02 PM, swede said:

Totally agree, I felt suicidal by the end of his 2009 Glastonbury set, wish I'd have just fucked off by myself for a bit , as none of my group wanted to move after Madness. 

2009 live Cave is very different to current day Cave though. Can think of a more exciting/energetic live performer nowadays whereas his 2009 show bored me a bit. 

14 hours ago, lighthouse said:

2009 live Cave is very different to current day Cave though. Can think of a more exciting/energetic live performer nowadays whereas his 2009 show bored me a bit. 

Absolutely. I was underwhelmed in 2009, too difficult to enjoy, but contrast that to a recent tour where I could see he has a marvellous presence on stage.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

It would be more controversial to say they were great, wouldn't it?

I saw a tweet the other day describing the 1975 as a 'generation defining band' and realised I didn't know a single one of their songs. Went and listened to some and am glad I'm not familiar. 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:04 PM, crocodiles said:

Queen are the most overated band ever and stop with the endless documentaries and films about them . Plus when Freddie died so should the band .

I'm practically paralysed by cringe every time I hear a Queen song.