Stage Predictions 2022: For real this time

dentalplan

On a proper note, I unfortunately don’t think FKA Twigs will be back. She doesn’t look to have any tour dates planned at the moment, and she’s dabbed down from a few festivals where she was on the 2021 lineup (Roskilde, Primavera).

Hopefully means she’s gonna put out a new album and smash the fests in 2023 instead.

57 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I posted this the other day but we know we’re at least one Other headliner down with Foals/QOTSA being added. I originally thought he wouldn’t be back as an Other headliner but if they’re inviting everyone else back, it would be very harsh to drop Fatboy Slim from that. The only other info we have on the 2020 Other headliners is that Dua Lipa was apparently lined up to headline the Pyramid in 2021 at one point after 2020’s cancellation, so it makes the most sense that she’s the one that has dropped out.

Now that we know the headliners, the subs are probably the most interesting thing on the lineup as Noel aside, we have absolutely no idea. We’ve kind of accepted Jack White seems likely but even then, there’s nothing other than his tour dates to actually suggest he’s playing. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it ends up being someone boring like Biffy Clyro but hopefully we get something unexpected.

It sounds to me like Fatboy was already dropped if QOSTA were in.

5 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I think his point was we all assumed that but he now thinks it could have been Dua dropped instead.

Yeah that's it. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if she does play but given her tour dates, headlining every festival she's playing and also apparently being lined up for the Pymild in 2021, I think everything points to Dua being the one to drop out rather than Fatboy Slim. I think we all assumed that he'd dropped out when the QOTSA info came as he was due to play Friday in 2020 and if they were refreshing the lineup a bit he seemed an obvious act to drop, but with seemingly most acts carrying over and the headliners changing days anyway I'm not sure how relevant that was. 

1 minute ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah that's it. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if she does play but given her tour dates, headlining every festival she's playing and also apparently being lined up for the Pymild in 2021, I think everything points to Dua being the one to drop out rather than Fatboy Slim. I think we all assumed that he'd dropped out when the QOTSA info came as he was due to play Friday in 2020 and if they were refreshing the lineup a bit he seemed an obvious act to drop, but with seemingly most acts carrying over and the headliners changing days anyway I'm not sure how relevant that was. 

Yeah, at first when people were saying he’ll be dropped from that position due to it no longer being the 50th anniversary I found it strange. Basically Glasto going “Hi pal we know you play several sets every year for us and we gave you this massive position as a big celebration but now that the festival has been delayed a year we’re kicking you off back to your usual slots”.

But then when the QOTSA news came for Friday I thought I must’ve just got it wrong.

10 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Yeah, at first when people were saying he’ll be dropped from that position due to it no longer being the 50th anniversary I found it strange. Basically Glasto going “Hi pal we know you play several sets every year for us and we gave you this massive position as a big celebration but now that the festival has been delayed a year we’re kicking you off back to your usual slots”.

But then when the QOTSA news came for Friday I thought I must’ve just got it wrong.

Here's another theory I've had for quite a while.  Fatboy Slim was never booked to headline the Other - one of the 'headliner sized Other headliners' dropped out late in the day before the poster drop, possibly because of Covid.  The festival knew when they put out that poster that the festival wasn't going to happen and it was always a 'here's what you could have won' to generate some talk, so they plomped for Fatboy in that slot as a nod to his links to the festival, and he played along with it as a friend of the festival.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah I posted this the other day but we know we’re at least one Other headliner down with Foals/QOTSA being added. I originally thought he wouldn’t be back as an Other headliner but if they’re inviting everyone else back, it would be very harsh to drop Fatboy Slim from that. The only other info we have on the 2020 Other headliners is that Dua Lipa was apparently lined up to headline the Pyramid in 2021 at one point after 2020’s cancellation, so it makes the most sense that she’s the one that has dropped out.

Now that we know the headliners, the subs are probably the most interesting thing on the lineup as Noel aside, we have absolutely no idea. We’ve kind of accepted Jack White seems likely but even then, there’s nothing other than his tour dates to actually suggest he’s playing. I wouldn’t be too surprised if it ends up being someone boring like Biffy Clyro but hopefully we get something unexpected.

I feel like this is an important part of the cycle. There’s a point where hopes start getting up that the festival has pulled off some amazing coups with the Subs, getting headliner acts playing there despite what we know about what the festival pays. Yeah it’s possible in a post-Pandemic scenario they’ve got Styles/Dua/Flo or whoever. Then the line up comes out and it’s equivalents of Vampire Weekend/Nick Cave/Biffy/The National*

*I like all 3 of these BTW, they’re just not headlining stadiums

7 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Here's another theory I've had for quite a while.  Fatboy Slim was never booked to headline the Other - one of the 'headliner sized Other headliners' dropped out late in the day before the poster drop, possibly because of Covid.  The festival knew when they put out that poster that the festival wasn't going to happen and it was always a 'here's what you could have won' to generate some talk, so they plomped for Fatboy in that slot as a nod to his links to the festival, and he played along with it as a friend of the festival.

I agree with you tbh. The first 2020 poster looked like they had some spaces unannounced / someone dropped out.

Acts and their tours started dropping like flies days after the poster dropped.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I feel like this is an important part of the cycle. There’s a point where hopes start getting up that the festival has pulled off some amazing coups with the Subs, getting headliner acts playing there despite what we know about what the festival pays. Yeah it’s possible in a post-Pandemic scenario they’ve got Styles/Dua/Flo or whoever. Then the line up comes out and it’s equivalents of Vampire Weekend/Nick Cave/Biffy/The National*

*I like all 3 of these BTW, they’re just not headlining stadiums

I agree it would look extremely strong but I still find Harry and Dua’s gaps highly sus

Not nailed. Good argument that they are just gaps. But still sus.

Just now, Matt42 said:

I agree it would look extremely strong but I still find Harry and Dua’s gaps highly sus

Would be huge if they’ve pulled it off and it’s definitely possible. I’m just getting into ‘not getting my hopes up’ mode before the Poster.

We know who is touring around the festival and who we expect to be there, but there's always a big name or three that come completely out of nowhere, like Janet Jackson, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus etc. Anyone wanna take a punt on who we might see land on this year's poster? We've done the argument to death but The Strokes would be a massive shock if they turned up on the poster billed as 'special guests'. Someone like Christina Aguilera perhaps? Not sure what her tour dates are like but she's active in Europe. Have Simply Red ever played before? 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

We know who is touring around the festival and who we expect to be there, but there's always a big name or three that come completely out of nowhere, like Janet Jackson, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus etc. Anyone wanna take a punt on who we might see land on this year's poster? We've done the argument to death but The Strokes would be a massive shock if they turned up on the poster billed as 'special guests'. Someone like Christina Aguilera perhaps? Not sure what her tour dates are like but she's active in Europe. Have Simply Red ever played before? 

Really think it’s Harry and it’s leaked. Janet leaked too so it wasn’t a surprise.

There doesn’t really look to be any other big pop guys or gals in the area that could do it unless it’s someone doing a one off.

Edit - a while ago I was predicting Christina but she’s playing in Europe Glasto Saturday so probably a bit tight for her.

Edited by Matt42

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I get your point on Harry Styles’ dates, but Dua Lipa has a 2 day gap in the middle of touring Scandinavia. That’s not sus whatsoever.

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

I get your point on Harry Styles’ dates, but Dua Lipa has a 2 day gap in the middle of touring Scandinavia. That’s not sus whatsoever.

Yeah we will see, I am optimistic that this could be a very strong lineup simply by them holding on to as many acts that they can from 2020. 

Edited by Matt42

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Really think it’s Harry and it’s leaked. Janet leaked too so it wasn’t a surprise.

There doesn’t really look to be any other big pop guys or gals in the area that could do it unless it’s someone doing a one off.

Edit - a while ago I was predicting Christina but she’s playing in Europe Glasto Saturday so probably a bit tight for her.

Not saying it specifically has to be a pop act, but the sort of act that you wouldn't be expecting to pop up. I know it was leaked but nobody would have ever predicted Aerosmith rocking up in a non-headline slot. Hopefully there's a few surprises nobody has predicted, big and small.

21 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

We had a whole thread on this recently...

10 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Not saying it specifically has to be a pop act, but the sort of act that you wouldn't be expecting to pop up. I know it was leaked but nobody would have ever predicted Aerosmith rocking up in a non-headline slot. Hopefully there's a few surprises nobody has predicted, big and small.

6EB32518-FDD1-48A6-B93F-F267A451A4DB.jpeg