Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

Just now, gordong said:

I’ve said it before, but I think a move to September would almost guarantee it happening next year. The issue I’m seeing at the moment is that while June may be possible for the UK’s population, we have no idea about other countries (educate me if I’m wrong). 

I’d agree on that ... so international people what are the vaccine plans for your countries .... @kalifire what’s the Australian plan for rollout ? Are they going to be as quick off the mark ? 

4 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

Australia is talking early 2021. With cases relatively under control they've not needed to try and rush a good news story into the news cycle before a vaccine has actually been approved.

Yep that’s fair ... u getting any news of borders opening .... I presume not at this stage ? 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d agree on that ... so international people what are the vaccine plans for your countries .... @kalifire what’s the Australian plan for rollout ? Are they going to be as quick off the mark ? 

@Gregfc15 is right - they're talking about the first half of 2021 as a rollout, but it depends on the news source when it comes to how soon that will be. It may come down to whether Australia is generally considered safe regardless of vaccination, because coronavirus isn't really something that troubles us here. Victoria (state where Melbourne is) hasn't seen a single new case in over 3 weeks now. We're about as close to elimination without a vaccine as you can get.

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

@Gregfc15 is right - they're talking about the first half of 2021 as a rollout, but it depends on the news source when it comes to how soon that will be. It may come down to whether Australia is generally considered safe regardless of vaccination, because coronavirus isn't really something that troubles us here. Victoria (state where Melbourne is) hasn't seen a single new case in over 3 weeks now. We're about as close to elimination without a vaccine as you can get.

But I’d presume to open up borders vaccination will happen ... they can’t shut them forever .... fantastic news about no cases though ... and I presume Christmas will have a decent sense of normality ... given that it’s summer :) 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

But I’d presume to open up borders vaccination will happen ... they can’t shut them forever .... fantastic news about no cases though ... and I presume Christmas will have a decent sense of normality ... given that it’s summer :) 

Christmas will be tough for me. Being in Australia has never felt 'normal', and I usually go home to be with my parents, and my siblings. This year will be the first for several as a single man, with just a phone call or two for company. I'm considering it cancelled, and I'll plough into 2021, chin up.

Just now, kalifire said:

Christmas will be tough for me. Being in Australia has never felt 'normal', and I usually go home to be with my parents, and my siblings. This year will be the first for several as a single man, with just a phone call or two for company. I'm considering it cancelled, and I'll plough into 2021, chin up.

I’m doing nowt on xmas day ... despite probably being able to ... mind u ... u have had a rollercoaster at not the easiest of times .... I’ll be about lurking on here ... so if u need another of those phone calls or chats u know what to do ..I’m . calling  it postponed instead 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordong said:

I’ve said it before, but I think a move to September would almost guarantee it happening next year. The issue I’m seeing at the moment is that while June may be possible for the UK’s population, we have no idea about other countries (educate me if I’m wrong). 

Would other countries not being vaccinated/open be such a big issue as to cause the cancellation of the whole event? 

For ticket sales are there that many international people attending surely it can't be higher then say 10% of the tickets sold?

As for artists the absolute worst case is it's got to be only u.k./irish based acts only. Which would probably be tricky to fill a line up.

However I think it's likely there would be an exemption to quarantine rules for professional artists, like for elite sport people.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep that’s fair ... u getting any news of borders opening .... I presume not at this stage ? 

Unfortunately not. They are currently super risk adverse and the successful suppression only reinforces this, especially consensus needing to be reached between the states and the federal government. Until we bubble with NZ, nothing much else will happen. A bubble with Singapore would be handy for me. Singapore just had to postpone with Hong Kong due to their rising cases.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Would other countries not being vaccinated/open be such a big issue as to cause the cancellation of the whole event? 

For ticket sales are there that many international people attending surely it can't be higher then say 10% of the tickets sold?

As for artists the absolute worst case is it's got to be only u.k./irish based acts only. Which would probably be tricky to fill a line up.

However I think it's likely there would be an exemption to quarantine rules for professional artists, like for elite sport people.

I'd imagine we could look at closing our borders to non-vaccinated individuals, like some countries require you to prove you've been vaccinated against yellow fever?

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I'd imagine we could look at closing our borders to non-vaccinated individuals, like some countries require you to prove you've been vaccinated against yellow fever?

I'm not sure about that, I don't see much of a need for travel restrictions except maybe as a very short term measure while the vaccination programme is underway. Once the bulk of the UK population has been vaccinated, then very quickly it doesn't matter nearly as much if potentially infected or susceptible people are travelling in as the risks drop massively.

It's been made clear that the main concerns of the Government are the impact on the NHS which will be much reduced by that point, and the impact on the economy which they want to open up as quickly as possible and bring tourists back at nearly all costs.

54 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That'd be logical, I think it's more likely in places like NZ and Aus

I even think quarantine restrictions, if still in effect, early next year are workable. 

Acts will need a good booking agent to juggle around all the restrictions of different countries.

Speculating about a timescale for the vaccine’s rollout in the UK, Hancock has said the “bulk” will be in the new year, with the hope that “things will be able to start to get back to normal” after Easter. He told BBC Breakfast:

It is subject to that regulatory approval and I really stress that because the medicines regulator, it’s called the MHRA, is independent, they’re rigorous, they’re one of the best regulators in the world.

They will be very, very careful to ensure that they look at all the data to make sure that this is safe.

Subject to that approval, we hope to be able to start vaccinating next month. The bulk of the vaccine rollout programme will be in January, February, March and we hope that sometime, after Easter, things will be able to start to get back to normal.

28 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Speculating about a timescale for the vaccine’s rollout in the UK, Hancock has said the “bulk” will be in the new year, with the hope that “things will be able to start to get back to normal” after Easter. He told BBC Breakfast:

It is subject to that regulatory approval and I really stress that because the medicines regulator, it’s called the MHRA, is independent, they’re rigorous, they’re one of the best regulators in the world.

They will be very, very careful to ensure that they look at all the data to make sure that this is safe.

Subject to that approval, we hope to be able to start vaccinating next month. The bulk of the vaccine rollout programme will be in January, February, March and we hope that sometime, after Easter, things will be able to start to get back to normal.

I reckon that not long into the new year the govt will be able to give a much more certain version of that, which will give festivals the confidence to go ahead with their plans. :)