Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

Welliwonder

Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0  

352 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Glastonbury 2021 will go ahead? 2.0

• Yes, and it will be business as usual.
    • Yes, with some minor requirements (hygiene warnings, extra hand gel).
    • Yes, with some moderate/major requirements (face masks, distancing, temperature checks, testing).
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too prevalent and mass gatherings will still be banned.
    • No, Coronavirus will still be too much of a risk and the organisers will choose not to go ahead.
    • No, for another reason.
    • I can't even guess.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why is rapid testing essential if the vulnerable are vaccinated, though?

Because i dont want to catch covid even if it (likely) wont hospitalise me? Why should people who wont stay at home if theyre infectious (like anyone would miss glasto) ruin it for everyone else?

Edited by Memory Man

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why is rapid testing essential if the vulnerable are vaccinated, though?

Because

a) it's a virus with exponential growth, imagine if it was left unchecked, everyone would be getting it

b) the vaccines won't be 100% effective

c) too many people will get long covid which looks like no picnic 

Social distancing of some kind  and maskwearing of some kind are here to stay all through 2021.

But Glastonbury could go ahead with some form of testing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Agree with the above, my own risk would be mitigated by people having to prove they’ve tested negative 1-2 days before entry. If that testing can be relied upon that makes it so my risk in attending would be low enough that i’d go

But that's your own personal choice, not whether or not it goes ahead. I will be feeling pretty wary too, to be honest, if the virus is at large. It's not certain that everyone vulnerable in my life will be vaccinated by then, if at all, and I also don't fancy long Covid. So if I don't think testing is under control and the virus is rife I might think twice about festivals, much as I love them. But I'm sure loads of others will be happy to take the risk so why wouldn't it go ahead?

3 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Because i dont want to catch covid even if it (likely) wont hospitalise me? Why should people who wont stay at home if theyre infectious (like anyone would miss glasto) ruin it for everyone else?

Neither do I, but many more will be happy to take the risk. See above.

No testing no party. Government / licensing authorities will require events to mitigate risk to be allowed to go ahead, the way you mitigate risk is testing.

punters will need to agree to terms and conditions they wont pursue organisers if they get covid from an event / festival. Organisers can only fulfil their legal obligation with a risk mitigation strategy. 

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Neither do I, but many more will be happy to take the risk. See above.

But they're still creating a superspreading event (unless testing) which increases the risk to others who don't want to take the risk.

The good news is that testing is getting better and better - and it doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Because

a) it's a virus with exponential growth, imagine if it was left unchecked, everyone would be getting it

b) the vaccines won't be 100% effective

c) too many people will get long covid which looks like no picnic 

Social distancing of some kind  and maskwearing of some kind are here to stay all through 2021.

But Glastonbury could go ahead with some form of testing.

I agree with all those points. But I think the government we have will be keen to open things up as much as possible despite them.

As I say I might not go personally if i don't think it's safe, but I don't think that's the same as saying whether or not it will go ahead.

I can see masks and distancing lasting in places where people *have* to go: shops, public transport, workplaces etc. For a while at least.

But no one has to go to Glastonbury or any event. So there will be a personal choice element and people will assess their own risk.

With the caveat that as I already said I'm not at all 100% it will go ahead. I just don't think rapid testing is as key to it as all that (if it is then may as well call it off now as it's not feasible for an event like that to test everyone accurately before entry in my opinion).

My point is it's better to test everyone to a reasonable enough level (doesn't have to be 'accurately) than to rely on people making personal choice. That could create a superspreading event even if the people were happy to take that risk.

A parallel is the new airport testing.

I'm flying to Spain next month and will have to take a PCR test before getting on the plane.

The testing isn't accurate but it's accurate enough to allow the economic activity to go ahead.

2 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Everyone would test themselves at home and present a result on entry. Of course not feasible to test on entry, we wouldnt be looking at that.

My issue with that is that we come by public transport, as do many others. Likely to get tube and bus and then coach before we get there. So there is still a risk of transmission after the test. Same for people coming from abroad. Do they test at home before flying or between airport and festival site? Or do we just accept the risk of transmission post test is acceptable? 

Also potentially open to abuse if people self test at home, but again is that just an acceptable risk?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

My issue with that is that we come by public transport, as do many others. Likely to get tube and bus and then coach before we get there. So there is still a risk of transmission after the test. Same for people coming from abroad. Do they test at home before flying or between airport and festival site? Or do we just accept the risk of transmission post test is acceptable? 

Also potentially open to abuse if people self test at home, but again is that just an acceptable risk?

That's exactly how it is with the tests for flying right now (and in a period when transmission rates are far higher than they will be in June).

And that's considered an acceptable risk.

Japan will be allowing tourists back in March/April and are currently having 50% full arenas for wrestling shows. The shows haven't had any outbreaks linked to them. 

I think the expectation is that Olympics will go ahead with spectators. for tourists they will have an app where you upload a negative test and then take another one a few days later in Japan. No quarantine expected. 

I also think theyll have enough people vaccinated by Easter next year to open up. I know the scientists are saying to have vaccines and social distancing, but i think thats a no goer with politicians and the general public. Once a certain percentage of people are vaccinated, theyll let everyone else ( esp the young) take an acceptable risk

Edited by zahidf

I'd have thought they could say either:

- You can get tested on site - however be prepared for enormous queues

- Get tested privately by popping to e.g. your local Boots up to 48 hours before and bring the certificate (or order a self-test kit and risk the postal system)

Would lead to most people choosing the second option. Tests could well be under twenty quid by then and simply no big deal to get tested as offered at most pharmacies.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You can get tested on site - however be prepared for enormous queues

Never going to happen. 

Firstly huge queues as you’ve mentioned. 

Larger issue is what do you do with someone who tests positive. Firstly it’s going to be a nightmare having a positive person surrounded by many others in the queue.

Most people don’t travel alone, do you then turn away the whole group just because one person tested positive? What if the positive person traveled via coach or wasn’t driving. How do they get back to where they traveled from? 

If that person came down on the Glastonbury coach service, this means those 50 people who traveled with them are also likely to have been in close contact with the virus. They will all be dispersed within the queue so you won’t find them. 

Two things are likely to happen if anything. You’ll either have to get pre tested or you’ll be asked to isolate on your return. 

I prefer the second option as I need the recovery time anyway. 

The festival will be going ahead as normal. The only likely concession is the recommendation for people to wear masks in the queue. 

I'd be very happy to do a test the day before at my own expense. Personally I don't think there will be the mass testing requirement for events by June if virus numbers are low. Happy to be proved wrong, but for me it's less than certain that they will require it for most things of this nature.

Flying is quite different as you're coming under another country's jurisdiction. Would expect testing for that to continue.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Never going to happen. 

Larger issue is what do you do with someone who tests positive. Firstly it’s going to be a nightmare having a positive person surrounded by many others in the queue.

Most people don’t travel alone, do you then turn away the whole group just because one person tested positive? What if the positive person traveled via coach or wasn’t driving. How do they get back to where they traveled from? 

If that person came down on the Glastonbury coach service, this means those 50 people who traveled with them are also likely to have been in close contact with the virus. They will all be dispersed within the queue so you won’t find them. 

Two things are likely to happen if anything. You’ll either have to get pre tested or you’ll be asked to isolate on your return. 

The festival will be going ahead as normal. The only likely concession is the recommendation for people to wear masks in the queue. 

Some really good points and you're totally right. I suppose wouldn't be such a problem if was a city festival.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd be very happy to do a test the day before at my own expense. Personally I don't think there will be the mass testing requirement for events by June if virus numbers are low. Happy to be proved wrong, but for me it's less than certain that they will require it for most things of this nature.

Flying is quite different as you're coming under another country's jurisdiction. Would expect testing for that to continue.

My comment about flying wasn't about why you have to do it but how they do it.

Just now, lighthouse said:

The poll in this thread didn't age well.

Ha I was gonna say - much like the one when the rona started to rear its head earlier in the year, the mood has swung in the total opposite direction in the couple of weeks since this was started. Nice that it’s (hopefully) going in right direction this time, though! 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Never going to happen. 

Masks in a queue but not for the rammed front of pyramid?

14 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Masks in a queue but not for the rammed front of pyramid?

This is what concerns me. So many areas of the festival are completely rammed. 

Can't see how testing and a few people having been vaccinated is going to prevent a potential disaster especially as the event is five days and nights.