What telly progs are you bingeing on?

Ayrshire Chris

1 minute ago, BlueDaze said:

(Bloodlands) i blame Nesbitt for all of the shite TV out there... even if he only gets credited for 2 dodgy photos

That's it. I think I forgot it's name while watching it. He's such a shit actor. That scene where he had a bit of a breakdown (I think that's what it was, again I've forgotten. Think it all got too much for him. And us. ) was so weird and bad

On 5/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, FloorFiller said:

Not gonna start going in to spoilers or anything but...

That Line of Duty finale was fucking shite, right? 

I liked it. Quite a good commentary on these sorts of situations in the UK at the moment. You know corruption never stops, no one seems to care and you can't believe that idiot was involved. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I liked it. Quite a good commentary on these sorts of situations in the UK at the moment. You know corruption never stops, no one seems to care and you can't believe that idiot was involved. 

I’ve not got a problem with (most of) the main plot points and who ended up being the fourth man, but the execution of it all was just so off and anticlimactic. Some scenes seemed pointless and went on unnecessarily long whilst other important bits were just brushed over. Whole thing seemed so hobbled together and like there was more to come rather than being the season finale.

I really don’t think that was the series finale though like a lot of people have assumed and I think we’ll get another series. Nobody really got any kind of proper ending and there seems to be a lot more left to tell. Plus, I’m sure BBC will want it going as long as possible.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I’ve not got a problem with (most of) the main plot points and who ended up being the fourth man, but the execution of it all was just so off and anticlimactic. Some scenes seemed pointless and went on unnecessarily long whilst other important bits were just brushed over. Whole thing seemed so hobbled together and like there was more to come rather than being the season finale.

I really don’t think that was the series finale though like a lot of people have assumed and I think we’ll get another series. Nobody really got any kind of proper ending and there seems to be a lot more left to tell. Plus, I’m sure BBC will want it going as long as possible.

I haven’t watched any of Line of Duty but thought it a bit odd they interviewed the person who was H on the breakfast news yesterday/on front pages today. Surely they need a spoiler warning or to give it a few weeks?

Watched the whole of Starstruck yesterday and started Invincible. Also seen Nomadland has arrived on Disney+ but wondering whether to wait for the cinemas to reopen (two weeks today!) for that.

8 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I haven’t watched any of Line of Duty but thought it a bit odd they interviewed the person who was H on the breakfast news yesterday/on front pages today. Surely they need a spoiler warning or to give it a few weeks?

Watched the whole of Starstruck yesterday and started Invincible. Also seen Nomadland has arrived on Disney+ but wondering whether to wait for the cinemas to reopen (two weeks today!) for that.

Nomadland is brilliant. It's not exactly big visual effects or anything so I think watching it on telly rather than the cinema should be fine. 

23 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yes I imagine it will be milked and I get there were a few loose ends but I'd actually rather it did just end. I don't think there is anyone they could have given as H who would have felt satisfactory and I think it's in danger of getting even more ridiculous. I kind of liked the anti-climactic nature of it and the fact the shit still goes on just felt very British at the moment. 

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Nomadland is brilliant. It's not exactly big visual effects or anything so I think watching it on telly rather than the cinema should be fine. 

We watched it yesterday, thought it was brilliant. Boyfriend and I were in disagreement at the end as to how 'bleak' it was - he thought it extremely bleak, I thought it less so, which lead to an interesting discussion. 

23 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

We watched it yesterday, thought it was brilliant. Boyfriend and I were in disagreement at the end as to how 'bleak' it was - he thought it extremely bleak, I thought it less so, which lead to an interesting discussion. 

I'd go extremely bleak but with heart (if that makes sense) It showed how huge chunks of Americans have to live for a first world country it's an absolute abomination and explains how something like Trump can happen more than anything else but I think it focussed on some people who managed to find the joy in the enforced lifestyle. 

Edited by gigpusher

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I’ll be watching it either way. Just excited to go and sit in a cinema again very soon - to see anything!

13 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’ll be watching it either way. Just excited to go and sit in a cinema again very soon - to see anything!

Yes I really want to see The Father and I suspect that I'll have to wait for a cinema for that. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I'd go extremely bleak but with heart (if that makes sense) It showed how huge chunks of Americans have to live for a first world country it's an absolute abomination and explains how something like Trump can happen more than anything else but I think it focussed on some people who managed to find the joy in the enforced lifestyle. 

Oh absolutely. I agree the overall situation - that some are forced to make that their life - is extremely bleak (and that's before even considering those in the same dire straits but without access to a van). But the individual stories seemed less so, as the ones they focussed on, as you say, appeared to enjoy or have chosen that life.

It really reminded me of The Salt Path, which I read last year, in terms of the relationships between 'travel' and homelessness and where different aspects of society deem the line of 'acceptability' to be.

10 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Recommend checking out Mare of Easttown if you can. First 3 episodes have been decent, we’re hooked. Obvious thing to say but Kate Winslet really is such a great actress. 

From the trailers I thought this looked a little generic but there must be something more in it for Kate to get involved?

29 minutes ago, Mimo said:

Recommend checking out Mare of Easttown if you can. First 3 episodes have been decent, we’re hooked. Obvious thing to say but Kate Winslet really is such a great actress. 

Ooh yes! Haven't seen this weekend's instalment yet but I've loved the first two.

34 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

From the trailers I thought this looked a little generic but there must be something more in it for Kate to get involved?

I guess it's not really treading new ground but it's very well made and acted. If you enjoy murky nordic noir-esque whodunits it's a no brainer.

18 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Ooh yes! Haven't seen this weekend's instalment yet but I've loved the first two.

There's some spectacular drunk acting this week!

8 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Oh absolutely. I agree the overall situation - that some are forced to make that their life - is extremely bleak (and that's before even considering those in the same dire straits but without access to a van). But the individual stories seemed less so, as the ones they focussed on, as you say, appeared to enjoy or have chosen that life.

It really reminded me of The Salt Path, which I read last year, in terms of the relationships between 'travel' and homelessness and where different aspects of society deem the line of 'acceptability' to be.

It's one of those there's a lot to be said for a simpler life but you see some of the manual labour jobs they were doing and the age of them and you know one serious medical problem in America is enough to ruin them completely. 

It's definitely a film that provokes conversation and discussion. We couldn't understand why most American are not in favour of having some form of welfare system that would protect themselves. 

A couple of recommendations, likely already discussed:

Better call Saul, I did watch Breaking but find this to be far more consistent, seriously good characters, the tension at times!

Penny Dreadful if you like your fantasy stuff. 

Must of seen through all of Peep show 3 times, never gets old. I remember seeing the very first ep aired whilst at college, just so brilliant.

Nod to inside No9, clever, dark, funny, witty, tense. Loved them. 

20 minutes ago, joeltg said:

A couple of recommendations, likely already discussed:

Better call Saul, I did watch Breaking but find this to be far more consistent, seriously good characters, the tension at times!

Penny Dreadful if you like your fantasy stuff. 

Must of seen through all of Peep show 3 times, never gets old. I remember seeing the very first ep aired whilst at college, just so brilliant.

Nod to inside No9, clever, dark, funny, witty, tense. Loved them. 

New Inside No 9 on Monday!

Binged Jupiter's Legacy over the weekend. I enjoyed it but I think it got a pretty mixed reception. It's a show based around a superhero comic by Mark Miller. 

It kept me interested which a lot of shows don't. I'm one of these people where if you've not gripped me in the first episode then I'm unlikely to stick with it. I have the attention span of a flea.