Acts touring around Glastonbury 2021

dotdash79

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Ridiculous lineup, to the point that I'm already worrying about just how much I'm gonna have to miss in favour of other stuff. The Thursday especially is just maddening. Gonna be a long year.

It’s my brothers wedding next year and he is a big fan of this lineup, I'm thinking it should be his stag but then with glastonbury the same month that's my years worth of holiday all gone inside a month. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Replaced by Gorillaz it seems. Considering Gorillaz aren’t a headliner I guess it bodes well for them taking an other headline slot at Glasto?

Could work, and move Dua Lipa to sub. Dua Lipa/Kenny would be a legendary party. But then we would need the female headliner for Other as looks like PSB will be still there. 

Edited by AlexOvd

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Gutted about LDR. Still a faint chance of Glastonbury I'd say given they're opposite ends of the month, but obviously not looking good.

It's a cracking a lineup though.

Yeah I think we’re looking for a new sub.

Gives us something new to speculate on though...

32 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think Foals have to be considered as a possibility for 3rd down too. I don’t think they are walking sub necessarily.

Foals > Aerosmith > Macca would be pretty extraordinary for guitar lads.

Who else would sub ahead of Foals though? I'd agree they could play 3rd down if it was a stacked year, but we've potentially lost three subs and I don't see a raft of huge subs out there as replacements. I think it's likely they will be struggling too much for big replacements to bump Foals down a slot.

Edit: assuming Foals are there 

Edited by jparx

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

You'd imagine someone along the lines of Dave or Skepta will take a prominent slot in the wake of what's happened this year, and especially if Kendrick is still in the mix, a UK grime/rap star before him would be a poignant move.

Agreed. Although I think that would have been on the cards regardless.

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Would Billie/The 1975 sub Lady Gaga? I'd expect not, but you never know. 

Just my two cents but I'd say The 1975 yes and Billie no. Billie I think would have done this year (since she would have been booked in 2019 before she blew up even more) but now I think she will headline on a new record.

Edited by jparx

7 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, I hear that. But we never knew who was Sunday's sub – they could still be in. Aerosmith feels inevitable to move up now.

But Aerosmith weren’t playing an announced slot. We don’t even know if they were as high up as third but we know they weren’t subbing Macca. Unless they couldn’t get anyone to sub at all then I don’t get why they’d be moved up - especially ahead of Foals who would easily play that position.

44 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I think Foals have to be considered as a possibility for 3rd down too. I don’t think they are walking sub necessarily.

Foals > Aerosmith > Macca would be pretty extraordinary for guitar lads.

Foals aren’t smaller than when they subbed last time though are they? 

Think they’d be more likely for Other headliner than anything else now. 

Just now, Ddiamondd said:

Okay, so Aerosmith were going to play the JP. You got it.

No I’m saying they don’t have to play as high as possible in an unannounced special guest slot. If you’re deciding they need to be moved up the lineup and smaller bands be put underneath then you’re missing the point.

The idea of Aerosmith down in third was considered pretty far out, nobody would bat an eyelid at them subbing. If Noel has indeed pulled out then it would be easy to bump Aerosmith up to sub and slot in someone else who wasn’t available this year, say Michael Kiwanuka for example, lower down the lineup.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

The idea of Aerosmith down in third was considered pretty far out, nobody would bat an eyelid at them subbing. If Noel has indeed pulled out then it would be easy to bump Aerosmith up to sub and slot in someone else who wasn’t available this year, say Michael Kiwanuka for example, lower down the lineup.

But they are not playing in an announced slot. They would be announced as subs. If they were happy to play another slot (third down Pyramid isn’t guaranteed where they were) then why need to bump up the ‘SPECIAL GUESTS TBA’ slot to sub?

My original theory was Aerosmith we’re playing third down to fit this years big American act third down slot

Katy Perry, Janet Jackson, Aerosmith etc.

I thought that putting Aerosmith before McCartney would be pretty bad for keeping the crowd moving - but then so would Aerosmith / Noel / McCartney. It’s mad looking back right now how strong that would have been on the night.

I have a feeling that it was probably billed as 

Paul McCartney

Noel Gallagher

HAIM

Crowded House

with Aerosmith slotted inbetween HAIM and Noel. This meaning that HAIM and Crowded House would both be getting high billed slots. Aerosmith didn’t really need to play for the day to look strong.

Now with Noel out I could see Aerosmith slotting back in - my feeling is that they would have to be billed as some kind of fourth headliner for any of it to make sense on the poster. They are a gigantic act.

2 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

My man, they weren't announced in the first run of acts. Emily's announcement specifically said it wasn't complete, and as the band had self-confirmed, it seems heavily unlikely it would have stayed a secret/special slot. They might have had an individual band reveal to come, which got mothballed due to covid.

As @Hugh Jass right says, you've got to doing big mental gymnastics here to assume Aerosmith 100% wouldn't be subbing. There's lots of reasons to say, hey, maybe they might. Not grounds for a dust-up.

You've steamrolled into a thread for gentle speculation with what you deem to be irrefutable fact about conditions of Aerosmith's booking this year and started slamming into people – not for the first time. Take a breather.

I’m very confident that Glasto was probably saving Aerosmith and the Sunday sub to have their own announcements. In my fantasy Aerosmith and Billie were tba and both way too big to announce amongst a lineup “wave”. They are both acts which could headline so it makes sense for them to get their own spotlight announcement.

My theory is that COVID fucked this all up. As you said.