People on Furlough....

Peroni

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I've been back on full furlough since just before Christmas. And it's going to be a long time until I'm back at work. But I'm single, no kids and with very cheap living costs so I can easily manage on 80%.

Never really been off it since it started as I've not done my full hours at any point. 

Since the pandemic started I firstly worked from home full time for 6 weeks, then May and June was furloughed, July-Sept I was furloughed part time and worked four hours a day at home, In October I went back to working full time in the office, then througout November (2nd lockdown) I worked full time 2 days in office, 3 days at home, then I went back to working full time in the office until christmas, i've now been working from home since then and from monday i will work one day a week (either in office or at home) and furloughed the rest of the time. 

I’ve been on furlough 3 times in total. First time was during the original lockdown. Second time was during the 2 week Welsh firebreak.

3rd time is set to be the longest. It started mid December when Wales shut all pubs and it’s currently looking like continuing until March at the earliest. Although we keep hearing rumours it might be until May! My company have committed to paying us 100% all the way through like the did in the first 2 lockdowns and also no changes or redundancies as a result of this. They’ve been incredible to be fair. Although if the pub closures go on longer than we originally expected (March) then it would be understandable if they couldn’t stick to that promise.

5 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I've been back on furlough since lockdown 3.0 started. Working in hospitality so will probably be last to go back again. I've heard reports of May Bank Holiday being estimated as when pubs and restaurants reopen..

Just posted the same thing. No smoke without fire and all that. Plus it seems to be coming from different avenues which makes me think there is a truth in it. 
We may be slightly biased as we work for the industry but if they keep it going much longer there might not be much of a hospitality sector to come back to.

Edited by DareToDibble

Just now, DareToDibble said:

Just posted the same thing. No smoke without fire and all that. Plus it seems to be coming from different avenues which makes me think there is a truth in it. 
We may be slightly biased as we work for the industry but if they keep it going much longer there might now be much of a hospitality sector to come back to.

Yeah it seems a very long time. The company I work for is based in Spain so we have major issues with brexit on top of all the lost revenue due to covid. Be lucky to still be going by May to be honest. I'm already starting to look elsewhere for work but not much about obviously..

Just now, Euphoricape said:

Yeah it seems a very long time. The company I work for is based in Spain so we have major issues with brexit on top of all the lost revenue due to covid. Be lucky to still be going by May to be honest. I'm already starting to look elsewhere for work but not much about obviously..

Move to Spain? (joke)

44 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

We may be slightly biased as we work for the industry but if they keep it going much longer there might not be much of a hospitality sector to come back to.

There's similar rumblings about May coming from my company too. Although I've just looked on our website and we are taking bookings from Feb half term. Don't know why they keep doing this. The extra admin from having to refund people when the stay can't happen must be costing us a lot of money we don't have. I appreciate getting the bookings in is important, but they'll come in anyway once reopening is confirmed. There's just no way we are going to be reopening by the 3rd week in Feb

Edited by philipsteak

I'm on furlough for the third time too, and like you guys we're not expecting to be open again for a long time.  It's just survival now really, and we've a few bookings in April that I don't want to have to refund (some already postponed from last year).  Feb and March are pretty empty, which makes the immediate future a bit easier to deal with.

Still, I've had Red Dead Redemption 2 waiting to be played for a while, so that's killing the time for now.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, philipsteak said:

There's similar rumblings about May coming from my company too. Although I've just looked on our website and we are taking bookings from Feb half term. Don't know why they keep doing this. The extra admin from having to refund people when the stay can't happen must be costing us a lot of money we don't have. I appreciate getting the bookings in is important, but they'll come in anyway once reopening is confirmed. There's just no way we are going to be reopening by the 3rd week in Feb

It's a hope thing I would imagine.  it's not easy to pull the plug and say "that's it".

33 minutes ago, Homer said:

Is it a normal reaction to being on furlough that I feel like getting right on it?

I did that a couple of times during the summer in the middle of the day.....was fun at the time but when you come round and its 7pm on a Wednesday and your girlfriend wants to just sit and have dinner and watch TV you feel a bit odd!

13 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I did that a couple of times during the summer in the middle of the day.....was fun at the time but when you come round and its 7pm on a Wednesday and your girlfriend wants to just sit and have dinner and watch TV you feel a bit odd!

Particularly if you didn't have a girlfriend when you started drinking.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been on furlough since this insanity began? I work in theatre and haven't had the opportunity to go back to work at all during this time (though I appreciate that I'm blessed because i know many in the theatre and arts industry slipped through the gap and have received little to no financial support). 

I go through ups and downs re. how I feel about it all, which I suppose is normal. But i have to say, lockdown 3.0 is tough. I think I had this naive view that when the clock struck midnight on NYE, everything would be better. As the weeks go by I'm growing less and less confident that the theatre industry will be up and running again by the summer, at least in a way that will enable me to go back to work (social distancing is an absolute no no for my theatre for various reasons). And so now my brain is constantly racing about what to do. Sit it out? Maybe leave the city entirely and look for a completely unrelated job elsewhere? It just feels like such a strange time and big decisions probably need to be made in the coming months and I just don't have the headspace to make those decisions. 

Anyway, there's no real point to this post really other than I've finally stopped lurking on here and decided to start interacting. I guess I just wanted to post some word vomit to try and lessen my furlough anxiety, and see how everyone else is feeling about things. 

Edited by PM87
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PM87 said:

Has anyone been on furlough since this insanity began? I work in theatre and haven't had the opportunity to go back to work at all during this time (though I appreciate that I'm blessed because i know many in the theatre and arts industry slipped through the gap and have received little to no financial support). 

I go through ups and downs re. how I feel about it all, which I suppose is normal. But i have to say, lockdown 3.0 is tough. I think I had this naive view that when the clock struck midnight on NYE, everything would be better. As the weeks go by I'm growing less and less confident that the theatre industry will be up and running again by the summer, at least in a way that will enable me to go back to work (social distancing is an absolute no no for my theatre for various reasons). And so now my brain is constantly racing about what to do. Sit it out? Maybe leave the city entirely and look for a completely unrelated job elsewhere? It just feels like such a strange time and big decisions probably need to be made in the coming months and I just don't have the headspace to make those decisions. 

Anyway, there's no real point to this post really other than I've finally stopped lurking on here and decided to start interacting. I guess I just wanted to post some word vomit to try and lessen my furlough anxiety, and see how everyone else is feeling about things. 

I feel sorry for you and others in your position. It must be soul destroying, especially for those who have slipped through the furlough net. When you think of the many many folk who work behind the scenes at Glastonbury it just shows how many rely on the arts industry for a living.  One thing though, when all this shit storm is over, and it will, there will be a massive demand for theatre, gigs, all forms of live entertainment. The arts need, and will get, the support of all of us who have been starved of live performances. Glad you logged on here, you wont  regret it!