When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

don't agree with it but an interesting article

What is interesting is that both Britain and Sweden are now running out of covid patients to test the treatment on. 

We may have actually got something right when it comes to the long term strategy of dealing with the virus. 

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

No, but Glastonbury has loads of indoor venues and thousands of tents..

It wouldn't be a huge stretch to change that though, beyond not having it all. More bandstand like stages. Maybe they wouldn't have theatre and circus as it is now. SE corner would obviously have to be quite different.

Personally I reckon it's more likely to go ahead with less indoor venues than not at all if the masks indoors is still a thing then.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

Also I have sympathy with retailers not wanting to enforce it. I'm fully in favour of masks and have been wearing one in shops for months now. But people can get very aggressive with retail staff as it is and shouldn't have to deal with threats or abuse for what they're paid. That's not fair. 

Security staff could maybe do that role. At A&E twice this week a security guard there was doing  stellar job of managing an at times fraught queue and making people mask up. But how many retailers can afford to hire loads of security in?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It wouldn't be a huge stretch to change that though, beyond not having it all. More bandstand like stages. Maybe they wouldn't have theatre and circus as it is now. SE corner would obviously have to be quite different.

Personally I reckon it's more likely to go ahead with less indoor venues than not at all if the masks indoors is still a thing then.

Really?  I think the opposite...I don't think it will happen if it can't go ahead in its current form.  They would have to replace all the indoor venues with something else as they would still have the same amount of people coming in.  I just can't see that happening 🙁

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Really?  I think the opposite...I don't think it will happen if it can't go ahead in its current form.  They would have to replace all the indoor venues with something else as they would still have the same amount of people coming in.  I just can't see that happening 🙁

Why not? Surely it's easier to contain more people in fields with one big stage than in lots of tents? More things like Icon for example. There would have to be a lot less micro venues around site, people back to making their own fun a bit, but would that really be such a bad thing? I'm not sure.

Why not? Surely it's easier to contain more people in fields with one big stage than in lots of tents? More things like Icon for example. There would have to be a lot less micro venues around site, people back to making their own fun a bit, but would that really be such a bad thing? I'm not sure.

It's alot for them to plan/organise though not to mention any costs involved.  Then you still have the camping issue..

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'd be amazed if restrictions are as they are now by next summer. So I reckon it will go ahead pretty much as is.

But if we don't have a vaccine by then or the virus doesn't miraculously die out, won't the numbers just start creeping up again as soon as restrictions are lifted?

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

But if we don't have a vaccine by then or the virus doesn't miraculously die out, won't the numbers just start creeping up again as soon as restrictions are lifted?

Its clear from NY that there is some herd inmunity with badly hit areas

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Well I think there will be a vaccine by then. But given how much has been allowed to open up already by August this year, it seems unlikely that more won't be allowed by this time next year. Boris has already said we won't be having another national lockdown. Things will likely be managed regionally and events like Glastonbury will have an element of at your own risk.

I'm not saying it's right or whatever, that's just what I expect realistically.

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What is interesting is that both Britain and Sweden are now running out of covid patients to test the treatment on. 

We may have actually got something right when it comes to the long term strategy of dealing with the virus. 

I really really hope you're right but a mixture of social distancing, a scared population and summer meaning people generally are healthier and spending time outdoors may have lulled us into a false sense of security.  I fully expect it'll be going up again when people are spending more time indoors.

But if we don't want the country to descend into poverty and record unemployment we need to ignore this and go out and spend our money regardless of health impacts. What a lovely world we've built. 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also I have sympathy with retailers not wanting to enforce it. I'm fully in favour of masks and have been wearing one in shops for months now. But people can get very aggressive with retail staff as it is and shouldn't have to deal with threats or abuse for what they're paid. That's not fair. 

Security staff could maybe do that role. At A&E twice this week a security guard there was doing  stellar job of managing an at times fraught queue and making people mask up. But how many retailers can afford to hire loads of security in?

Yeah that's the thing, in some areas it'll be actually dangerous for the staff to try to enforce it. Imagine telling  a bunch of hooded chavs that they cant come in? Best case scenario is verbal abuse, worst case they come back with their mates and wait for them to finish. So much of the country is so aggressive and angry...

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Its clear from NY that there is some herd inmunity with badly hit areas

That is good to know.

Well I think there will be a vaccine by then. But given how much has been allowed to open up already by August this year, it seems unlikely that more won't be allowed by this time next year. Boris has already said we won't be having another national lockdown. Things will likely be managed regionally and events like Glastonbury will have an element of at your own risk.

Lots has opened up but only because we have the other measures in place.  I think it will all come down to a vaccine...without one, I can't see why they would remove those extra measures.  But from a selfish point of view I do hope you're right.

They are already thinking about having sport back in stadiums with fans and we are months out from a possible vaccine. By next summer they won’t be banning all outdoor events again, just look at what it’s like now and cases numbers are still fairly high. Think about it, to cancel Glastonbury next summer so many others would be cancelled again and they won’t be. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

They are already thinking about having sport back in stadiums with fans and we are months out from a possible vaccine. By next summer they won’t be banning all outdoor events again, just look at what it’s like now and cases numbers are still fairly high. Think about it, to cancel Glastonbury next summer so many others would be cancelled again and they won’t be. 

I think Glastonbury is a very different beast to a sports event where you enter for a matter of hours, sit in a seat (wearing masks I presume?) and then leave.    I think we would need to be in a position where things like nightclubs are open without measures for it to be seen as feasible, unless like Zoo suggested they did away with the indoor venues, which I just can't imagine.

Sorry to be so negative guys.  I want to believe it will happen, I really do 🙁

19 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Treatments are the other one. The one in the news the other day seemed like a potentially good step forward if it works out. "Without a vaccine..." is becoming a bit of a one dimensional narrative I think. It's much more complex than that. Much better testing and one or two more treatments could be all it takes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I think Glastonbury is a very different beast to a sports event where you enter for a matter of hours, sit in a seat (wearing masks I presume?) and then leave.    I think we would need to be in a position where things like nightclubs are open without measures for it to be seen as feasible, unless like Zoo suggested they did away with the indoor venues, which I just can't imagine.

Sorry to be so negative guys.  I want to believe it will happen, I really do 🙁

To be fair it is just speculation on my part. I doubt they'll do away with indoor venues really, just thought that was more likely than not having it at all. But as I say I expect it to be pretty much normal by this time next year and we will just have to live the virus if no vaccine.

No need to apologise - none of us have a fucking clue! :)

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Treatments are the other one. The one in the news the other day seemed like a potentially good step forward if it works out. "Without a vaccine..." is becoming a bit of a one dimensional narrative I think. It's much more complex than that. Much better testing and one or two more treatments could be all it takes.

Yeah this is a very good point too.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yes, true.  "Without a vaccine" should be replaced with "Without some kind of significant breakthrough"