When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s a good point from that question, the gov put together this alert level and if we go down to level 3 we can relax measures. Downing Street confirmed today we are still at level 4, so we shouldn’t be changing. Goes to show they have no idea what they are doing, going against their own rules.

They keep pulling this stunt and never seem to get nailed down on it. A few weeks ago Johnson was hammering home the importance of the R number, saying how everything depended on keeping it below 1. then when it rose above 1 they suddenly said the R rate wasn't actually that important, it was the other indicators. Now they're pulling exactly the same stunt, except now the R number is all that matters 

24 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They keep pulling this stunt and never seem to get nailed down on it. A few weeks ago Johnson was hammering home the importance of the R number, saying how everything depended on keeping it below 1. then when it rose above 1 they suddenly said the R rate wasn't actually that important, it was the other indicators. Now they're pulling exactly the same stunt, except now the R number is all that matters 

They don’t have a clue even with the science in front of them they have no clue. The only thing they are really desperate for is to not be seen to be failing that’s why they move the goalposts all the time. 

50 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

40 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They don’t have a clue even with the science in front of them they have no clue. The only thing they are really desperate for is to not be seen to be failing that’s why they move the goalposts all the time

I honestly think the reopening was always a set date, and talking about the science was just to placate us. I doubt there'll be any second lockdowns either - the test is "prevent a second wave that overwhelms the NHS". The NHS wasnt overwhelmed til now so there is a LOT of leeway there 

C4 news, ex-govt science adviser saying rates are too high to come out of lockdown. Also says we went into lockdown too late. He's also condemning Cummings and saying we could have avoided 40,000 deaths if this had all been handled better.

Edited by Homer

45 minutes ago, Homer said:

C4 news, ex-govt science adviser saying rates are too high to come out of lockdown. Also says we went into lockdown too late. He's also condemning Cummings and saying we could have avoided 40,000 deaths if this had all been handled better.

There has to be a day of reckoning for these people.

My sister really wants me to go and hang out with my nephews, but I don't want to break the rules. She did raise a good point though. he friends are sending their kids back to nursery on Monday. Those kids can see and spend time time with other humans yet you can't have any meaningful interaction with young family members?

15 minutes ago, danmarks said:

There havent been 40,000 deaths yet tho?

There have been around 60,000 excess deaths so far in the UK this year, that is the best measure of the effect of this virus as is doesn't matter what is on the death certificate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

My sister really wants me to go and hang out with my nephews, but I don't want to break the rules. She did raise a good point though. he friends are sending their kids back to nursery on Monday. Those kids can see and spend time time with other humans yet you can't have any meaningful interaction with young family members?

I’ve got similar concerns and quandaries regarding my own family. I was thinking earlier though, let’s say we are loosening lockdown too soon and the R goes back above 1 in the near future, that means now is actually the safest point to see anyone with infections at the lowest level they’re likely to be. The flip side to that of course is that actually as restrictions continue to loosen and it simultaneously gets better then waiting will be lower risk. 

31 minutes ago, danmarks said:

There havent been 40,000 deaths yet tho?

I've not been keeping up recently. But I believe that if you compare the number of people who have died over this period with the same period last year, the FT already has us at 60,000.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

I see Trump is terminating their relation with the WHO.

Feel like that fucking clown known his term is up and he's trying to do as much damage as possible on his way out.

If he gets voted out, strap yourself in for Nov to Feb.

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve got similar concerns and quandaries regarding my own family. I was thinking earlier though, let’s say we are loosening lockdown too soon and the R goes back above 1 in the near future, that means now is actually the safest point to see anyone with infections at the lowest level they’re likely to be. The flip side to that of course is that actually as restrictions continue to loosen and it simultaneously gets better then waiting will be lower risk. 

I know it’s coming from a good place from my sister as she’s worried the kids are going to suffer from not seeing the family. But I don’t know what to do, with the risk of the virus and also the fact that it’s against the rules.

Im not comparing my own worth to Cummings but I don’t want to skate him for breaking the rules then go and do it myself. I also really want to see my nephews though!

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I know it’s coming from a good place from my sister as she’s worried the kids are going to suffer from not seeing the family. But I don’t know what to do, with the risk of the virus and also the fact that it’s against the rules.

Im not comparing my own worth to Cummings but I don’t want to skate him for breaking the rules then go and do it myself. I also really want to see my nephews though!

I completely get where you’re coming from, I’m having the same considerations... but, I think you’re being unduly harsh on yourself. Obviously Cummings is in a position of power and was responsible for setting the rules, he should be absolutely whiter than white. We’re now in a different stage of lockdown anyway and you could see your family in a public place now without breaking the rules. From Monday you can see them in your home within the rules anyway. I also have no idea why they announce these changes and give a future date, because announcing them means 90% of people do them immediately anyway which I’m pretty sure they know will happen. Remember when on a Sunday he said people could go back to work the very next day? Also Cummings breaking the rules is a valid reason for everyone else to break the rules, it’s not contradictory in the slightest of you ask me.