When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's your exponential growth! Jab it!

Still don’t see how jabbing alone in the affected areas solves this without cases popping up all over the country.

Edited by JoeyT

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

More likely to be like a cycling accident than a train crash. Seriously, there's much less danger this time.

If it is 60% more transmissible then less deaths but still real potential pressure on the NHS with the indoor mixing. That's still lockdown territory

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You have become a fully paid up member of just in case 😛 

Only a temporary one. Just in case to me is when there isn't an active situation. Will be right back to let it spread if we get some evidence it's not going to send us backwards 

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because it limits the ability of that variant to be passed on. Immunity is quicker with the young, so jabbing a few extra thousand this week will take effect really soon.

Realistically how long will it take to vaccinate all those willing aged 18 years and above in these areas?

Add to that let’s say 2 weeks for the vaccine to take effect.

That could be a month and potentially 24k cases a week at its current rate of growth?

Edited by JoeyT

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Biden just said the USA have led the world in vaccine roll out.

Well excuse me Mr Biden said Isreal, Gibraltar and the UK....

Tnf anyone over 18 in the US can get a vaccine now. Not the same in the UK

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Tnf anyone over 18 in the US can get a vaccine now. Not the same in the UK

That's because they're not as good as us at actually deciding to book them. 

Anyway, we could open up appointments to all age groups, doesn't mean the appointments are going to be any time soon. We could have had a free for all in January, doesn't mean people would get jabbed any faster.

• Like 1

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

That's because they're not as good as us at actually deciding to book them. 

Anyway, we could open up appointments to all age groups, doesn't mean the appointments are going to be any time soon. We could have had a free for all in January, doesn't mean people would get jabbed any faster.

? Literally any US citizen can get a jab in the 3 weeks if they are over 18

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Uptake % per age group is much lower in the USA though is it not? 

Yeah, exactly. I'll place money that in three weeks, they won't have overtaken the UK on first doses per capita, despite theoretically everyone being able to get an appointment.

This country is doing well in demand, that's not to take away from the logistical feat in the States, but to roll out a vaccine to people, you need the people to be on board, and that prevents them from being world leading.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Wow, for all the headlines about Bolton, it's London that looks like it might have the worse problem in a few weeks.  I wonder what the numbers would look like if they were targeted more precisely on the areas with outbreaks.

London had a similar problem back around lockdown 2 time didn't it, cases started rise sharply? I hope the next stage of easing doesn't add to that.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s not looking great. Cases going up right before the next stage of easing. I can’t see them cancelling the next stage at this short notice but there could be delays for the final stage. 

I was thinking the same thing to be honest.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s not looking great. Cases going up right before the next stage of easing. I can’t see them cancelling the next stage at this short notice but there could be delays for the final stage. 

As I said yesterday, I suspect there will be a delay to the final step - but I really don't think it'll be a long one. Get a few more jabs in arms before we go clubbing and everything will be grand. I have to keep telling myself to not react like Pavlov's dog when I see the familiar patterns of the case numbers rising. It is not the same. Vaccination changes things so much.  Even in Bolton cases numbers are flat in the vaccinated (I.e. previously most vulnerable) age group.

Festivals are on for September, we're not going to lock down again and the ICUs are not going to get full.  Sadly, I do think hospitalisations will go up again at some point in the next couple of months, but when and by how much, I'm not sure - but if this wave comes, it will be the smallest of the four.

Edited by stuartbert two hats