When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The numbers I saw represented a small increase.  Most the work is done by the first dose 

Yes I believe Whitty said that the first dose gives you most of the protection and the second dose give a small boost and locks that protection in for (hopefully) long term protection. 

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yes but a second dose in a 60 year old isn't doing much for an 18 year old.

I'd imagine most 18 year olds aren't too bothered once their older loved ones are protected, which they now are. Statistics are very much in the favour of the 18 year old. Obviously they need to be vaccinated to protect everyone else but I'm not too sure there's a desperate need for them to have it themselves before we let them do things 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

06692491-CABF-47F4-8D62-89E6575400E2.png

But caveated with one way systems and masks, so hospitality can't reopen fully and will still need to enforce table sitting only. Which for them means social distancing still does exist and they can't open t full capacity (unless that is now their new normal capacity, in which case lots of redundancies incoming) So what exactly changes? Legal hugs and removing the lines from the floor that everyone ignores in supermarkets? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But caveated with one way systems and masks, so hospitality can't reopen fully and will still need to enforce table sitting only. Which for them means social distancing still does exist and they can't open t full capacity (unless that is now their new normal capacity, in which case lots of redundancies incoming) So what exactly changes? Legal hugs and removing the lines from the floor that everyone ignores in supermarkets? 

We will see I guess … I hadn’t looked into it … it just came up as a news alert on my phone … we haven’t had any lines on the floor or arrows for months now anyway 

14 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Also caveated by the fact there are local elections in three days’ time. Let’s see what happens with these restrictions this time next week.

I don’t know if the government are burying their heads in the sand or just brazenly think they’ll get away with it and people will continue to comply but I don’t they’re aware quite how many people don’t keep up to date with covid news daily and still believe things go back to normal on June 21st. 

If step 4 ends up being step 3.5 or maybe even step 3.25, they’re in for one hell of a backlash. 

Edited by BobWillis2

40 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'd imagine most 18 year olds aren't too bothered once their older loved ones are protected, which they now are. Statistics are very much in the favour of the 18 year old. Obviously they need to be vaccinated to protect everyone else but I'm not too sure there's a desperate need for them to have it themselves before we let them do things 

It doesn't matter whether they are bothered or not when it comes to them havi9ng or not. I very much doubt most 18 year old's have been bothered for a long time about social distancing.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Full quote

I think in Stratford Upon-Avon yesterday there a rule of - 1 meter plus lol.

3 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

If this is the level of freedom we can expect for the summer then I dread to see what the winter is going to look like again. 

I've never looked at it as anything other than a few months respite in summer, which is why I'm so desperate for us to maximise our time - I believe that whatever we do in summer, we won't have a normal winter this year. We won't eliminate covid so whether we try to or not it will be around in winter, and the vaccines will get their first full test, so let's allow these businesses to make their money when they can, when it's safe, in the hope they'll survive and keep the jobs going . I suppose that's part of keeping some restrictions, to make it clear there is still a pandemic going on and make it look less like a u-turn come winter. 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'm getting my 2nd jab on Friday. If you'd told me 12 months ago that I'd be fully vaccinated within a year, I'd have been amazed!

Last year we were looking at the possibility of it taking years to create an effective vaccine (and the possibility that we'd never find one at all), the fact we've had so many highly effective ones so soon is amazing, and administered so quickly- there were people on this thread who felt so hopeless they didn't even want to wait until November/December for the vaccine trial outcomes! 

Just wish one of the vaccine manufacturers would relax the patent so we can get some more vaccines to other countries asap

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

No but I mean in the general sense of it all between 1 and 3 daily I reckon. There is a difference between lockdown though and open with restrictions. I get the whole be positive etc but then you have everyone who's like that isn't correct for the 21st June like it was gospel.

There is a whole world out there apart from efestivals who will seemingly risk everything to get where they want. Based on these pilot events, you would currently have Reading Festival with an average of 9k people turned away.

It won't be. Stadiums aren't allowed to operate full capacity are they? The pubs will be no different wether it's full or 22k in there.

Can you please link this 10% of tests were positive number as I’ve not seen it reported anywhere

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

They really haven't. The proof is there. 350k approx down to about 100k

Screenshot_20210503-112313_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210503-112245_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210503-112258_Chrome.jpg

Numbers did fall of late, this was expected, due to supply issues and announced in advance. The U.K. is still the leading major nation (if now pretty much level with the US) in regards to shots per person. 

Numbers have since bounced back - https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-10-24..latest&pickerSort=asc&pickerMetric=location&Metric=Vaccine+doses&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=~GBR

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Last year we were looking at the possibility of it taking years to create an effective vaccine (and the possibility that we'd never find one at all), the fact we've had so many highly effective ones so soon is amazing, and administered so quickly- there were people on this thread who felt so hopeless they didn't even want to wait until November/December for the vaccine trial outcomes! 

Just wish one of the vaccine manufacturers would relax the patent so we can get some more vaccines to other countries asap

Production capacity is the problem not patents. Vaccine plants aren’t sitting around twiddling their thumbs

Have we had any info yet on what the policy will be regarding whether kids (who haven't been vaccinated) will need testing for going abroad if countries go ahead with vaccine passports? 

20 minutes ago, Benj said:

Can you please link this 10% of tests were positive number as I’ve not seen it reported anywhere

Melvin Benn said it in his interview from the event on BBC news at 10 last night 

The numbers don't add up at all , that's 500 people. I'm expecting that will be people from out of area who tried to get in but fell down at the testing hurdle because they didn't have a local liverpool GP, or even people who do live there but never registered for one 

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Melvin Benn said it in his interview from the event on BBC news at 10 last night 

The numbers don't add up at all , that's 500 people. I'm expecting that will be people from out of area who tried to get in but fell down at the testing hurdle because they didn't have a local liverpool GP, or even people who do live there but never registered for one 

Melvin may have been confused, I've not seen that in any of the news report on the event.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah same - it struck me as very odd at the time and unfortunately went out to a pretty large audience  

I haven't seen any commebt on that 10% figure other than on here. I doubt people would have really twigged that

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I haven't seen any commebt on that 10% figure other than on here. I doubt people would have really twigged that

It’s a HUGE number if true and considering the nationwide number is .2% is frankly pretty unbelievable!