When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Wasn't that based on knowing covid kills the vulnerable, but not knowing whether vaccines stop the spread?  Both of those variables have changed considerably.  Have I missed any other reasons?

Not that I think they'll do it. 

Originally yes (that’s where the groups 1-9 came from)

Further analysis went on to show that even after all over 50’s and those who were extremely vulnerable or vulnerable, age is still the most accurate predictor of outcomes, more so than working in a high risk environment like a school or meat plant.

More importantly though, gathering the data to organise a rollout by occupation would be a pain in the arse and would significantly slow down the rollout. The beauty of using age is that it’s very simple to organise. They can literally look at their database and find everyone born in a specific age group and contact them to come in for the jab.

When you start involving things like occupation it would make organising the rollout a far more bureaucratic process, meaning that we’d spend more time trying to figure out who’s eligible and less time actually getting jabs in arms. 

4 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Well my Mrs under 55 who's had AZ as one was going spare is actually pretty worried about it - which is dont think is unreasonable.

I’ve done a bit more ‘digging round’ for information as I’ve also been concerned that it’s more than ‘blood clots’ which our media keeps reporting. However, I’ve found this article which is more explanatory regarding this rare event. Looks though Pfizer have also reported similar but doesn’t seem so well publicised?

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-reports-that-ireland-has-suspended-the-use-of-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine

I do hope it will alleviate some of your other half’s concerns, it did help with my worries regarding younger relatives at 5 days post AZ jab

187B376B-2018-4147-8146-F51BF2486EC4.jpeg

88B2281A-7656-4D17-BF63-AC7B2376AA7C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wasn't that based on knowing covid kills the vulnerable, but not knowing whether vaccines stop the spread?  Both of those variables have changed considerably.  Have I missed any other reasons?

Now it's not about the vulnerable though...it's just vaccinating the rest of the adult population...and I guess just easier to keep doing it by age.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Now it's not about the vulnerable though...it's just vaccinating the rest of the adult population...and I guess just easier to keep doing it by age.

I still think it's worth cherry picking some of the professions most associated with spread - I'm not talking about getting ill, I'm talking about reducing the spread of the virus.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Those variables haven't changed considerably.

COVID still disproportionately kills the vulnerable. The only thing that's changed is that thanks to vaccination there's now fewer vulnerable people out there.

We always knew it was likely that vaccines would reduce spread - we even had data from Oxford that indicated theirs would. The only change is that we've now had it confirmed.

Both of those were already factored into the decision.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I still think it's worth cherry picking some of the professions most associated with spread - I'm not talking about getting ill, I'm talking about reducing the spread of the virus.

I think with the slow down in supply in April and there lack of rushing to do as many jabs as possible. Cherry picking and making efforts to vaccinate anyone at risk who hasn't come forward should be priority. 

10 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I’ve done a bit more ‘digging round’ for information as I’ve also been concerned that it’s more than ‘blood clots’ which our media keeps reporting. However, I’ve found this article which is more explanatory regarding this rare event. Looks though Pfizer have also reported similar but doesn’t seem so well publicised?

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-reports-that-ireland-has-suspended-the-use-of-the-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine

I do hope it will alleviate some of your other half’s concerns, it did help with my worries regarding younger relatives at 5 days post AZ jab

187B376B-2018-4147-8146-F51BF2486EC4.jpeg

88B2281A-7656-4D17-BF63-AC7B2376AA7C.jpeg

Cheers that's really useful. 

She's not petrified and knows it would be damn unlucky but it's totally understandable to be worried. 

She got upset because she's had it because it's the right thing to do - but what if it turns out the right thing to do has put me in harm's way? She also said it's a bit like brexit, there is lots of people in the media telling you what you should do but little understandable information avalaible for you to make your own choices - which I think is a fair statement. Not everyone is an expert in these things and not everyone with doubts is a loon. 

It's a horrible situation for anyone to be in. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yep this is it - that is what happened to my mum - the media have  played it down as DVT style blood clots but it's actually an extremely rare autoimmune event. Like you say, extremely rare but at the low platelets is about your immune system it makes sense it worried some scientists. Obviously benefits outweigh the risks in theory but if it was proven you could identify certain people (imagine they found it was women on the pill for example) that could then take a different vaccine.

It's as if people are offended at the idea these (emergency use) vaccines are being monitored in any way. 

The number of those under say 40 who have died from covid is so small it is a legitimate thing to investigate- at that point I think people's judgement is clouded by the need to get back to normal and that is supposedly only going to happen when every single human in the world is vaccinated, so they see any of these reactions as acceptable collateral damage. I'd be pretty pissed off if it happened to a loved one who is young and unlikely to be even touched by covid. "For the greater good" is more nuanced than just "vaccine everyone and accept some will die". 

But they are suspending it for under 55s, and the 50-60 year olds probably will have  a much larger chance of dying from Covid

I posted above the Wales study which had zero cases from 440,000.00 people 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm the opposite- quite happy with how my self inflicted cut has grown out! 

Yep this is it - that is what happened to my mum - the media have  played it down as DVT style blood clots but it's actually an extremely rare autoimmune event. Like you say, extremely rare but at the low platelets is about your immune system it makes sense it worried some scientists. Obviously benefits outweigh the risks in theory but if it was proven you could identify certain people (imagine they found it was women on the pill for example) that could then take a different vaccine.

It's as if people are offended at the idea these (emergency use) vaccines are being monitored in any way. 

The number of those under say 40 who have died from covid is so small it is a legitimate thing to investigate- at that point I think people's judgement is clouded by the need to get back to normal and that is supposedly only going to happen when every single human in the world is vaccinated, so they see any of these reactions as acceptable collateral damage. I'd be pretty pissed off if it happened to a loved one who is young and unlikely to be even touched by covid. "For the greater good" is more nuanced than just "vaccine everyone and accept some will die". 

I really think we need to be more transparent about this - even though it’s a rare event. In Canada people are advised what to be aware of, and in what timescale so people can seek advice and hopefully treatment. I totally get the anti vaxxers will jump on this but I also don’t believe it should be brushed under the carpet

3CA3105E-60F0-4722-9902-B733F43CA628.jpeg

• Upvote 1