When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Hyde Park Winter Wonderland cancelled for 2020

On a personal level I found Winter Wonderland to be dreadful, crowded, overpriced, tacky, but nonetheless it's a good source of money for the London economy. Another nail hammered into the hospitality sector. 

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I was wondering today if the mask usage has lead to lower doses of covid and therefore fewer hospitalisations .....  we took them up later and took longer to drop down didnt we ? 

Lower viral load due to face coverings is one of the plausible explanations for the lower death rate/serious illness, but I’d be pretty surprised if that alone has had such a huge impact. The 6 key explanations, ranked in order from most likely to least likely, are 

1. Lower “true” infection rate than at the start of the pandemic due to more testing. 1200 positive tests today means a very different thing to 1200 positive tests in March when only the seriously ill were being tested (100% happening and significant) 

2. Lower age profile of those catching the virus due to vulnerable people and those in care homes being shielded whilst the young and healthy go out (Highly likely and significant)

3. Better treatments being used by doctors than was the case in March, e.g. dexamethasone (explains lower death rates, but not lower hospitalisations)

4. Lower viral load due to face coverings being more extensively used (IMO this will have a material effect, but less so than the above 3 points. Face coverings can help to reduce the spread and reduce the viral load to an extent but are probably less significant at doing so than other measures. They help and should be encouraged, but not a silver bullet)

5. Mutation of the virus into a less severe form (Only anecdotal evidence to support this, no public health experts are championing this and we only have the views of individual doctors. Not a factor IMO)

6. Seasonal effects (Non-factor IMO because infection rates are high. This may explain less infections, but wouldn’t explain lower deaths/hospitalisations)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Lower viral load due to face coverings is one of the plausible explanations for the lower death rate/serious illness, but I’d be pretty surprised if that alone has had such a huge impact. The 6 key explanations, ranked in order from most likely to least likely, are 

1. Lower “true” infection rate than at the start of the pandemic due to more testing. 1200 positive tests today means a very different thing to 1200 positive tests in March when only the seriously ill were being tested (100% happening and significant) 

2. Lower age profile of those catching the virus due to vulnerable people and those in care homes being shielded whilst the young and healthy go out (Highly likely and significant)

3. Better treatments being used by doctors than was the case in March, e.g. dexamethasone (explains lower death rates, but not lower hospitalisations)

4. Lower viral load due to face coverings being more extensively used (IMO this will have a material effect, but less so than the above 3 points. Face coverings can help to reduce the spread and reduce the viral load to an extent but are probably less significant at doing so than other measures. They help and should be encouraged, but not a silver bullet)

5. Mutation of the virus into a less severe form (Only anecdotal evidence to support this, no public health experts are championing this and we only have the views of individual doctors. Not a factor IMO)

6. Seasonal effects (Non-factor IMO because infection rates are high. This may explain less infections, but wouldn’t explain lower deaths/hospitalisations)

thanks for detailed response ... I was just sumising particularly about facemasks as I do while at work when I was shouted at by a chin wearer ... I asked the lady to put the mask over her mouth while she shouted at me and was informed buy the lady she had COPD ..... which is more than fair ...but im still trying to work out what she gained by having it in that placement ...

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I'd put mutation at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

We were going to do the fireworks on New Year’s Eve, but we have cancelled our hotel and aren’t planning on going. But it looks like it won’t be happening anyway (or at least with no crowds)

I reckon they'll do it either from the London Eye and encourage people to watch from home/disperse crowds that gather to watch or do it from a secret location that only the media can attend, New Years Eve is a huge money spinner for all sectors so the government probably wouldn't want to cancel it outright