2021 Headliners

Listening to Emily Eavis on radio 1 this afternoon and probably reading too much into it but she mentions the line up being booked up for next year then mentions Kendrick when asked a silly rider question about the farms milk. Would she bring him up if hes said no to next year?

3 minutes ago, august1 said:

Listening to Emily Eavis on radio 1 this afternoon and probably reading too much into it but she mentions the line up being booked up for next year then mentions Kendrick when asked a silly rider question about the farms milk. Would she bring him up if hes said no to next year?

I remember Michael talking about Radiohead a few times prior to 2016. I don't think they're particularly cautious when talking about acts who aren't booked, so I wouldn't read in to it either way. 

4 hours ago, mufcok said:

True, I get the impression it means a lot to them though and they'd really want to do it again. Don't think it's just 'another gig' to them, time will tell I guess

I feel their next set will very much alienate the original fans, and fair enough. I just don't want to see an AM heavy set, as I think it's a terrible album of basic songs. Something I even accused the old stuff of being at the time, but would love to see A Certain Romance etc on the Pyramid again now! 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I feel their next set will very much alienate the original fans, and fair enough. I just don't want to see an AM heavy set, as I think it's a terrible album of basic songs. Something I even accused the old stuff of being at the time, but would love to see A Certain Romance etc on the Pyramid again now! 

Had this conversation over in the R/L section, and I think it very much depends on what direction they take next. They’ve proven that they’re not afraid to reinvent themselves and release an incredibly uncommercial move away from their original sound, but do they want that to be their new direction or will it be back to the business of bangers next time round? Think they’ve got a dedicated enough (maybe to a fault) fanbase that they can get away with not playing too much from the first few albums these days, although they’ve also run AM in to the ground, so here’s hoping the new one is another one that’s good enough for them to confidently fill a set with. 

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I agree in principle however. There are a lot of acts that were headliners in 2007 and could still do it. Including 2007's headliners. But why are we giving this much airtime to one of jj's predictions?

That’s not really my point. My view is that there will at least be one headliner each year which is an act of this decade. Look back at the previous string of headliners are there is always an act which is contemporary.

If a trio of predicted headliners could have all done it in 2007, it’s not going to happen. There will be someone a bit more “current” thrown into the mix. 

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That’s not really my point. My view is that there will at least be one headliner each year which is an act of this decade. Look back at the previous string of headliners are there is always an act which is contemporary.

If a trio of predicted headliners could have all done it in 2007, it’s not going to happen. There will be someone a bit more “current” thrown into the mix. 

I see. That's a fair point then yes.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I see. That's a fair point then yes.

I agree that I’m giving too much stock to a jj prediction but if there’s no massive contemporary acts available they will take a chance on someone new. For example, like they did with Stormzy. I’d be shocked if they booked a trio like he mooted again. There’s plenty of rising stars, a lot of them U.K. acts, which would probably pull off a bump up very well.

Dua Lipa, Dave, Lizzo fit the bill. Or they’d ask the 1975 to have their shot.

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Urgh, I like the sound of seeing some of those acts, but not headlining.

Put me in the list of grumpy voters who don’t want change. 

Dave and Lizzo are both an album away from it being a serious talking point. They could easily drop some new music between now and next festival and it would probably eliminate all contention. I was a Stormzy denier but that all went out the window when he dropped Vossy Bop.

Billie’s already there. Despite what some people say on this forum. She’s already headlining major festivals and that’s not changing any time soon. She’s got a massive fanbase and her second album is a guaranteed success.

The 1975 are ready too.

Dua has been the 5th most streamed artist in the world on Spotify since feb. Her album is a few months old now and she’s still pulling numbers. They might get her back to headline the other stage, but it would be a very generous thing for her to do as she could easily ask for more.

Edited by Matt42

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dave and Lizzo are both an album away from it being a serious talking point. They could easily drop some new music between now and next festival and it would probably eliminate all contention. I was a Stormzy denier but that all went out the window when he dropped Vossy Bop.

Billie’s already there. Despite what some people say on this forum. She’s already headlining major festivals and that’s not changing any time soon. She’s got a massive fanbase and her second album is a guaranteed success.

The 1975 are ready too.

Dua has been the 5th most streamed artist in the world on Spotify since feb. Her album is a few months old now and she’s still pulling numbers. They might get her back to headline the other stage, but it would be a very generous thing for her to do as she could easily ask for more.

All I took from this, is that I’m seriously out of touch these days. But I do like Dave and Lizzo, it’s just Dua, Eilish, and 1975 I can’t bear.. tried to get into them all. 
At least at Glastonbury, it caters for all and it does give people the step up and opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

All I took from this, is that I’m seriously out of touch these days. But I do like Dave and Lizzo, it’s just Dua, Eilish, and 1975 I can’t bear.. tried to get into them all. 
At least at Glastonbury, it caters for all and it does give people the step up and opportunity.

I like all of those acts - I think subjective taste is put aside though when talking about headliners. I’m very much a numbers person and if someone consistently pulls in numbers they’ve definitely got the credentials to headline.

I’d like to see Dua Lipa headline because it would be nice to get another British female popstar on the headlining circuit. I think she’s done what a lot of U.K. pop females have struggled to do, which is to have an international fanbase and do well in global markets. She’s a pretty big deal in the rest of the world which I think is a key thing, as in our globalised world - Glastonbury should be having global sized headliners.

I think Billie is destined to headline soon because Glastonbury loves a success story and a record breaker. I think Billie has the title of “youngest ever Glastonbury headliner” in the bag. It would be great for Glasto’s 50/50 promise to take a chance on probably one of the biggest female breakout acts we’ve had in a long time.

Lizzo has already started headlining some festivals across the world. The decider I think will be her next album. I can’t see it flopping, but if she has another single as big as truth hurts then she will 100% be a headliner.

Daves album was massive, his performances at the Brits massive, and he also is very popular with the younger audience that attend Glastonbury. If he has another hit album (which I imagine he will), he’s there.

The only reason the 1975 haven’t headlined yet is because they’ve been in the wrong place at the wrong time. They have the credentials.

There are plenty of future headliners for Glastonbury. I just think some people are looking in the wrong places. We haven’t even spoken about George Ezra and Lewis Capaldi yet.