FD Glastonbury Advent Calendar

FuzzyDunlop

4 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind door number 13 - Kasabian 2014

The last Pyramid headliners I have seen. After Dolly Parton my foot was fucked, I couldnt walk. Ed Sheeran was next on the Pyramid, so I no amount of pain was going to keep me at the Pyramid. I ran to the Silver Hayes and ended up in a tent of some Electro. No clue who it was. After a mooch I realised I had no phone & I was on my own. I wasnt bothered about seeing anyone, no acts stood out. I decided Ill go with the safe option, Kasabian. Not great, but Ill enjoy it. I went on my own, was stood nect to a few people from Nottingham who provided booze & other things. I oftered money, but very kindly, took none. I had forgotten how much I enjoy Kasabian live. Good times had by all.

Great scenes from 2 mins in

Am loving the anecdotes cheered me up this morning at least, keep them coming and thanks.

Behind number 14 - Dakhabrakha 2016, WH Stage.

They had been recommended on here. I looked into them & thought they were great. They are a Ukranian folk band, with drums, accordians, chellos, wood instruments. I hadnt shown anyone any footage of them. After watching James on the Pyramid, my mates were after going to Craig Charles. We'd done that the Friday of 2014 & I convinced 2 of them to see Dakhabrakha with me. 1 tune in, I got a bemused look & "What the fuck is this?!".... 15 mins in was "Vesna". At the end of that tune, I got "That was actually brilliant".
As the show carried on, faces of the crowd lit up more. Everyone there got more & more into it; beaming smiles all round, dancing about to some unique & uplifting tunes. The end turned into a tune bordering on a hard house beat.
It was raining quite hard, which added to it.

At the end, the comments from my mates were "That was fucking amazing"

It was.

Full Set... Vesna (15 mins 20secs in ish) 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind number 14 - Dakhabrakha 2016, WH Stage.

They had been recommended on here. I looked into them & thought they were great. They are a Ukranian folk band, with drums, accordians, chellos, wood instruments. I hadnt shown anyone any footage of them. After watching James on the Pyramid, my mates were after going to Craig Charles. We'd done that the Friday of 2014 & I convinced 2 of them to see Dakhabrakha with me. 1 tune in, I got a bemused look & "What the fuck is this?!".... 15 mins in was "Vesna". At the end of that tune, I got "That was actually brilliant".
As the show carried on, faces of the crowd lit up more. Everyone there got more & more into it; beaming smiles all round, dancing about to some unique & uplifting tunes. The end turned into a tune bordering on a hard house beat.
It was raining quite hard, which added to it.

At the end, the comments from my mates were "That was fucking amazing"

It was.

Full Set... Vesna (15 mins 20secs in ish) 

I've had a quick flick through that, and will be returning to them as soon as I get a hold of my next smoke. 

Behind door number 15 - Fatboy Slim

Fatboy slim is probably the most famous Glastonbury regular. He is always around. He doesn't take a penny from the festival apparently either. He plays everywhere and anywhere and seems to be on a mission to play every stage... so he is even making the Advent Calendar.
He often doesnt play my kind of electronic music tbh, but sometimes I am in the mood for it. As I was on Saturday 2017. Whilst most saw the Foo Fighters, Norman Cook packed the Sonic tent out. I was there. It was EDM, but I enjoyed myself, I wont deny that. I just find him a load of fun. 

In 2019, I was walking to see Idles. This hand whacked me in the chest.. "we are going that way". Someone was pointing to a gate & didnt see me. It was Norman Cook. He said "how did I not see you? You are massive?" & was apologetic, so Im saying he is a nice guy too.

The video is from the JP tent 2016. I wasnt at this, but cant find a good one from 2017.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Fatboy slim is probably the most famous Glastonbury regular. He is always around. He doesn't take a penny from the festival apparently either. He plays everywhere and anywhere and seems to be on a mission to play every stage... so he is even making the Advent Calendar.
He often doesnt play my kind of electronic music tbh, but sometimes I am in the mood for it. As I was on Saturday 2017. Whilst most saw the Foo Fighters, Norman Cook packed the Sonic tent out. I was there. It was EDM, but I enjoyed myself, I wont deny that. I just find him a load of fun. 

In 2019, I was walking to see Idles. This hand whacked me in the chest.. "we are going that way". Someone was pointing to a gate & didnt see me. It was Norman Cook. He said "how did I not see you? You are massive?" & was apologetic, so Im saying he is a nice guy too.

The video is from the JP tent 2016. I wasnt at this, but cant find a good one from 2017.

This is making for interesting reading. And a bit of Fatboy Slim too for afters. Great stuff.

Behind door number 16 - REM 2003

REM are one of my favourite bands. I never saw them at Glastonbury, but watched them on TV. I have clear memories of watching their full set on TV. I was blown away. It always sticks in my head as a performance on TV that I loved. I assume it was 2003, but could have been 99... or both! Someone at work who did 2 Festivals (2003 & 2004) says this is is his favourite Glastonbury memory.
I did manage to see them in 2005 & 2008 in Manchester before they split.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Behind Door 17 - Arcadia

Arcadia is probably my favourite late night area. 1 reason - the Location. Its close to where I camp, so easiy for supplies & not too far to walk afterwards, but the line ups are often great.

The spider was great, but until 2016, I felt it was let down by sound issues. (Esp when it was in the SE Corner) Happily they seem to have sorted that now.

My favourite sets there have been Charlotte De Witte 2019, Carl Cox 2016 & 2manyDjs 2015. 

I really liked Pangea & I am looking forward to seeing the improvements / ideas for 2020.

39519.jpeg

Lukonicbarnyard.moon-1-2.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Behind Door 17 - Arcadia

Arcadia is probably my favourite late night area. 1 reason - the Location. Its close to where I camp, so easiy for supplies & not too far to walk afterwards, but the line ups are often great.

The spider was great, but until 2016, I felt it was let down by sound issues. (Esp when it was in the SE Corner) Happily they seem to have sorted that now.

My favourite sets there have been Charlotte De Witte 2019, Carl Cox 2016 & 2manyDjs 2015. 

I really liked Pangea & I am looking forward to seeing the improvements / ideas for 2020.

39519.jpeg

Lukonicbarnyard.moon-1-2.jpg

Ahh the beautiful Arcrania ?

On 12/15/2019 at 1:08 AM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Wow I was actually at this set and I've just remembered.... I thought I saw him the Saturday night in a smaller tent later on, but now that I've thought about it I was there and we got stuck in a massive crush getting over to Adele! I've never planned as poorly as that since. The mud really didnt help as it was hard to move. 

Behind Door 18 - Adele 2016

I didnt watch Adele. This is the only time Ive looked back & thought "I should have been there for that". I only knew and still know a few tunes, even though I dont mind them - I didnt fancy her as my headliner. It looked like much more of a party live than I expected, so where was I then...? 

Me & a mate went to the SE Corner. We were at Bez's Flying Bus. Watching a guy play old skool / acid house / piano house... really really badly. The tunes were great, but the mixing was terrible, half the vinyls skipped, he was  jumping about & was well into it though. He loved it & we loved it. Then when he finished he jumped into the crowd (of 6) & was hugging us all. Thanking us for watching him & shouted "Ive played Glastonbury!!"

To this day, he is the person most deserving of a big gig. The programme says it was DJ Symptom, but it 100% wasnt him.

This is what I missed...

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Behind door 19 - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard Park 2015

When the line up came out, the name "King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizzard" stood out for obvious reasons. I'd never heard of them. After a youtube search, watched the video for cellophane & I was 100% on this.
I didnt watch any other videos.

Its rare that you see an act, who then become one of your favourites. This gig was one of those times. 4 of our group instantly loved the the Gizz.We have seen them a load of times since. They are experimental to varying degrees of success, but they are great live, full of energy, don't take themselves too seriouslu & are unique.

At the time, I'd only heard Cellophane - so the gig was an eye opener. They played a 13 or 14 min blend of 4 tunes in 1 to begin with which got us well into it. After watching the Charlatans stink the other stage up, this was a breath of fresh air. To me this is what helps make a festival: Discovering someone who becomes a favourite.

FB_IMG_1576705701762.jpg

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Fuzzy many thanks for making the effort to post this stuff. Brilliant, the perfect Christmas pressie, something for everyone. 

Of all the headliners before my time at the festival (other than Bowie obvs) REM are the band that I think are the perfect Glastonbury headliner. I also saw them in Manchester at OT cricket on the Blue tour. Not sure what year. Brilliant. 

anyway please carry on. X

14 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Fuzzy many thanks for making the effort to post this stuff. Brilliant, the perfect Christmas pressie, something for everyone. 

Of all the headliners before my time at the festival (other than Bowie obvs) REM are the band that I think are the perfect Glastonbury headliner. I also saw them in Manchester at OT cricket on the Blue tour. Not sure what year. Brilliant. 

anyway please carry on. X

Old Trafford last gig was 2008 (With The Editors), they were there in 2005 too (Zutons, Feeder, Idlewild)...luckily I was at both. Amazing band, been playing their music a lot recently.

& well done @FuzzyDunlop

Loving the advent calendar, Fuzzy.

R.E.M. are without doubt that band I am most gutted not to have seen. I recall I had a plan at one point to try and see them in Cardiff in '08 but I was just 17, living in Plymouth, and had no means by which to get there so the plan sort of fell through. Little did I know that would be their last UK tour or I would have plead all upcoming birthday and Christmas presents in exchange.

Love the choice of Adele track. I had never called myself an Adele fan - knew the singles, enjoyed some of them - but I thoroughly enjoyed her set. It was during Make You Feel My Love that I got a bit overwhelmed with emotion - it was a gorgeous moment. 

Looking forward to the final five calendar instalments!

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Behind door 19 - King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard Park 2015

When the line up came out, the name "King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizzard" stood out for obvious reasons. I'd never heard of them. After a youtube search, watched the video for cellophane & I was 100% on this.
I didnt watch any other videos.

Its rare that you see an act, who then become one of your favourites. This gig was one of those times. 4 of our group instantly loved the the Gizz.We have seen them a load of times since. They are experimental to varying degrees of success, but they are great live, full of energy, don't take themselves too seriouslu & are unique.

At the time, I'd only heard Cellophane - so the gig was an eye opener. They played a 13 or 14 min blend of 4 tunes in 1 to begin with which got us well into it. After watching the Charlatans stink the other stage up, this was a breath of fresh air. To me this is what helps make a festival: Discovering someone who becomes a favourite.

FB_IMG_1576705701762.jpg

I discovered them from seeing their name on the 2013 line-up (which I didn't end up going to) then missed this set, they do seem to like the fest at this point though and their Crows Nest set in 2017 is an all time highlight  for me. Great live band and you can guarantee if they're back this year to provide their 6th glasto set it'll be different enough to their previous ones to make it a must see.