Volunteering 2020

DJL

No dogs here unfortunately .... but on a serious note ( its rare I know ) anyone that sent me their mobile number for the watts app group and would like it removed from my phone please DM me( no offence will be taken ) ... and for everyone that remains we go again and I would hope that you get yourselves sorted first and then let the group know ... I think thats the best way with the small number sales .... Good luck again glad it was of some use and didnt get too out of control ... I think we had around 40 people on there :) 

28 minutes ago, Lisanextdoor said:

Aw Lovely Billy. Our dogs are 14 and16 so hard to leave them but we have a great dog grandad to help. I think I got sent to Michael Eavis’s gate that shift so it was quiet but got to see ME a couple of times. Probably better than just hanging around the Oxfield. Will keep checking in for spaces with oxfam and try the resale. Are you going again this year?

Yes got my Oxfam place dead about 11.01 then mate texted to say sold out. He was unlucky but his girlfriend got a Oxfam place. So gonna keep trying for him now 👍

20 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Sounds great. Personally, I am contracted to work so many Bank Holiday hours per year, so that could be a bit of a negative for me. I'd be expected to make the hours up elsewhere.

But what about my other two questions?

Others here have mentioned that Boomtown has been a total 'mare on occasions.

Did you get a G ticket? I'm sure I asked on T day but that was months ago :dontknow:.

Yep - Boomtown was a toughy. Loads of casualties in Woodlands (ket) to the point where I was calling in the medical team to cart them off so many times that I just started telling peeps that they were on their own if they carried on. Then the takedown crew were a bunch of c**ts and kept driving at us until we let them out in downtown even though we were told to keep it clear for punters leaving. Grassed them up to the site manager and he kicked a whole team of them out in the end. One delivery lorry got stuck in mud in downtown and showered the whole market with mud trying to motor his way out of it. All good fun though :)

yep - got G tix so see you at the meet as usual son.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lisanextdoor said:

Hi. I lurked around efestivals forum last year and got a place for oxfam a week before so don’t give up hope. I also got an atypical shift pattern with two early shifts so was very happy with that. This morning was more brutal than ticket day. I will have a chance to volunteer with my trade union for WBC. Does anyone know how the campsite compares to the Oxfam one? 

I don't but I am sure @glasto-worker will fill you in! 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

No dogs here unfortunately .... but on a serious note ( its rare I know ) anyone that sent me their mobile number for the watts app group and would like it removed from my phone please DM me( no offence will be taken ) ... and for everyone that remains we go again and I would hope that you get yourselves sorted first and then let the group know ... I think thats the best way with the small number sales .... Good luck again glad it was of some use and didnt get too out of control ... I think we had around 40 people on there :) 

I’ll stay in the group and hopefully we’ll all get sorted and can meet for a quick beer in the fields at some point, especially if we’re all there on Monday and Tuesday! 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I’ll stay in the group and hopefully we’ll all get sorted and can meet for a quick beer in the fields at some point, especially if we’re all there on Monday and Tuesday! 

Thats the  hope ... Its Amazing how much I want to get Oxfam since I didnt get them :) ..... what doesnt kill u makes u stronger :) 

You know those really annoying people who say... I was abroad on my phone and got through straight away - all done in 2 minutes!!!...Well, that was me for once - so it does happen!!  I got straight on at 11:30 from AUS and all done in less than a minute BUT my husband on his phone at the same time didn't so not really any nearer going at the moment as if he can't go, I can't go!  I'll keep checking for random spots as people drop out and we're also going for the resale in April.   I feel like I've used up my 'getting straight through online' luck today though. 

Being in limbo is killing me......

17 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

So what is Oxfam's policy on going to your shift after a few drinks.. eg late shifts, are we expected to stay sober all day? 🤔

They basically say at the training, don't show up incapable. You need to be professional, and fit to work... Having said that, I showed up for my vehicle gate duty on the Saturday last year extremely hung over and in a bad way at 0545. Nothing was said, and I was left to look miserable without any questions.

You won't be able to neck beers whilst doing your shift, but just take a bag and fill it with beers for as soon as you finish. 

38 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

So what is Oxfam's policy on going to your shift after a few drinks.. eg late shifts, are we expected to stay sober all day? 🤔

If you do go on shift and the supervisor / team leader think you are under the influence, you run the risk of having your wrist band taken and being evicted from the festival, as well as forfeiting your deposit,

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

Just don't be a dick and turn up drunk because there's zero tolerance for that.  If I'm not working as a driver, I'll have a few steady pints in the day, and knock it off a couple of hours before shift, eat something, drink water and  coffee kind of thing. 

Bear in mind that if there's a serious incident that requires a police investigation, you may get pointed questions about your capacity...

Edited by jfaragher

Hey guys, just a couple qs to anyone who's  volunteered at Glastonbury with oxfam before. My boyfriend and his friends will be camping on the main area as they bought tickets.

Would it be possible at all to sneak him in to the staff area for a night or could I stay over in his as long as I turn up for my shifts.

Could anyone elaborate on shift times, what happens during training etc. Could I just do a long shift in the Wednesday to get my hours out the way?

Thanks 😊

33 minutes ago, Ojj_12 said:

Hey guys, just a couple qs to anyone who's  volunteered at Glastonbury with oxfam before. My boyfriend and his friends will be camping on the main area as they bought tickets.

Would it be possible at all to sneak him in to the staff area for a night or could I stay over in his as long as I turn up for my shifts.

Could anyone elaborate on shift times, what happens during training etc. Could I just do a long shift in the Wednesday to get my hours out the way?

Thanks 😊

Non-Oxfam folk can’t get into the Oxfield. Gates are manned and you need your Oxfam photo ID for access.  You could stay with him. Officially you should camp in the Oxfield but if you were discreet you would get away with it.
Info on shift times are posted earlier in this thread. In short 3x8hr shifts. One early, one evening, one overnight spread from Wednesday to Sunday.  Not possible to do all your hours like you described.

The Oxfam FAQ is really useful for Stewarding duties etc.

Edited by March Hare
  • Upvote 1