The International Contingent

beefykoala

3 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Latest from NZ is that travel bubbles with Australia and Cook Islands, neither with community covid transmission, are still ‘up to 3 1/2 months away’.

Dreams of Glasto 2021 are all but crushed, regardless of whether the festival is on or not 😭

That falls neatly into the vaccination rollout timeline in Australia (from March 2021).

At this point, it's inconceivable that they're going to vaccinate my risk group by the time I need to book a flight, let alone travel. I'm also starting to accept that Glasto isn't happening next year for most international travellers, whether the festival is held or not (at this point I think that's unlikely too).

My one remaining hope is that they offer a rollover of tickets again, not just to international ticket holders but anyone who doesn't feel comfortable attending (there will surely be a sizeable number in the UK who don't especially fancy being around such numbers and that seems entirely reasonable). Selling the tickets that frees up would inject a bit of cash for this year as well.

Edited by kalifire

Similar situation for me in Singapore as those in Australia with the added complication of not knowing if I will be based in Singapore or Australia by June.

As with everyone most others, the intent would still be to go, even with a mandatory quarantine on return.  Also as with those in Australia, the vaccine schedule here is likely to be a lot more conservative here due to having limited community spread and things relatively under control and it’s unlikely I would be vaccinated by the balance payment date although I could be by festival time. It’s unfortunate that the countries that have dealt with it well are also being the most conservative in their vaccination schedules.  The Singapore PM is giving a national address here in a few hours so that could all change though hopefully!

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I'm also starting to accept that Glasto isn't happening next year for most international travellers, whether the festival is held or not (at this point I think that's unlikely too).

Would agree with this. I’d jump through all the hoops needed to be there in 2021 if i could but the uncertainty means I would probably  opt for a 1 year rollover to be safe if it was offered. While the festival may have confidence to make a call, I’m not sure I will until there is more clarity  around the rules that the airlines, government and  festival will  introduce and whether these are in place by needing to pay the balance. 

4 hours ago, Gregfc15 said:

Similar situation for me in Singapore as those in Australia with the added complication of not knowing if I will be based in Singapore or Australia by June.

As with everyone most others, the intent would still be to go, even with a mandatory quarantine on return.  Also as with those in Australia, the vaccine schedule here is likely to be a lot more conservative here due to having limited community spread and things relatively under control and it’s unlikely I would be vaccinated by the balance payment date although I could be by festival time. It’s unfortunate that the countries that have dealt with it well are also being the most conservative in their vaccination schedules.  The Singapore PM is giving a national address here in a few hours so that could all change though hopefully!

Would agree with this. I’d jump through all the hoops needed to be there in 2021 if i could but the uncertainty means I would probably  opt for a 1 year rollover to be safe if it was offered. While the festival may have confidence to make a call, I’m not sure I will until there is more clarity  around the rules that the airlines, government and  festival will  introduce and whether these are in place by needing to pay the balance. 

Vaccine just been approved for Singa I hear - rolling out in spring.

12 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Latest from NZ is that travel bubbles with Australia and Cook Islands, neither with community covid transmission, are still ‘up to 3 1/2 months away’.

Dreams of Glasto 2021 are all but crushed, regardless of whether the festival is on or not 😭

I really hope things change for you but if the festival goes ahead then I think it would be a great gesture from the festival to offer 2022 tickets for those in your predicament who can’t travel.  We were meant to be in Sunny Hobsonville, Auckland at this very moment and now have no idea when we will be able to visit. 

19 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I really hope things change for you but if the festival goes ahead then I think it would be a great gesture from the festival to offer 2022 tickets for those in your predicament who can’t travel.  We were meant to be in Sunny Hobsonville, Auckland at this very moment and now have no idea when we will be able to visit. 

How weird, my in-laws are in Hobsonville! Who do you know there? (My in-laws probably knowing NZ!)

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Vaccine just been approved for Singa I hear - rolling out in spring.

Yep, unfortunately in the same boat as many in that I'll be somewhat down the queue. We've also been allowed to be able to meet in groups of 8 up from 5 (even though we've had only 9 new cases in a month.) 

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Have any of you tried emailing the festival ref rolling over tickets ?  ... it’s likely something that’s been discussed but just in case it hasn’t it’s always worth giving them a nudge ... good luck to you all I hope that they roll over at the very least 

Yes. No reply, but that’s OK. I’m sure there’s no real answer they can give at this point anyway. It’ll be what it’ll be. 

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yes. No reply, but that’s OK. I’m sure there’s no real answer they can give at this point anyway. It’ll be what it’ll be. 

indeed but putting the thought out there is no bad thing .... like you I wouldn't have expected a reply because of the variables ... but no harm whatsoever ... good luck 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have a problem with that scenario though. As I’ve never trusted the vagaries of international mail. especially with wanting to return home a couple of weeks pre festival, my Glasto reg is with a family UK address 😭

2 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

Hello...

I’m a 10 minute drive away, Mrs Moth is a professional musician and pre Covid had a residency at the Little Creatures brewery in Hobsonville.

Exactly the place I should be spending my evenings at the moment if the world had returned to normality.  As for your tickets I suppose. If the situation arose you could contact see tickets and explain the predicament. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

I have a problem with that scenario though. As I’ve never trusted the vagaries of international mail. especially with wanting to return home a couple of weeks pre festival, my Glasto reg is with a family UK address 😭

Same set up for me, although I moved after the ticket sale. It should be fairly easy enough to show them proof of international address and explain the rationale behind not posting international. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

Same set up for me, although I moved after the ticket sale. It should be fairly easy enough to show them proof of international address and explain the rationale behind not posting international. 

Hopefully. Still a long way to go before the situation starts to clarify though, maybe we’ll get a miracle 😉 

I've gone down the road of despair. 

Even thought the festival will probably happen, I dont think I'll be there. 

Entry requirements to the UK, 10 days of isolation, 5 days less if you test negative, but I couldnt bank on that so I'd have to do the 10 days. What if I fly over and do all that and then test positive at the gate or something and I'm turned away? Then coming back to Canada I'd have to do 14 days likely. 

Theres just too many variables. Unless the world is open and running, I fear the worst. 

I'll wait until April to make any decisions, and then even if I pay my balance I have until end of May to cancel dont I? 

• Upvote 1

Got a reply from the festival office today. Doesn’t really say anything. 

We can only advise as per the website that tickets will be rolled over to the 2021 Festival planned for June, the deposit is fully refundable until the end of January, and tickets are refundable after that date, usually until the beginning of May, but will be subject to an admin fee. We do appreciate the tough situations for all involved and will certainly pass your feedback on.”

Just now, kalifire said:

Got a reply from the festival office today. Doesn’t really say anything. 

We can only advise as per the website that tickets will be rolled over to the 2021 Festival planned for June, the deposit is fully refundable until the end of January, and tickets are refundable after that date, usually until the beginning of May, but will be subject to an admin fee. We do appreciate the tough situations for all involved and will certainly pass your feedback on.”

no but a reply was as good as you were going to get ... and they have acknowledged your email .... I think if it happens / or doesnt then people will have the opportunity to roll ... but now they can think about this too if they haven't already ... 

14 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I've gone down the road of despair. 

Even thought the festival will probably happen, I dont think I'll be there. 

Entry requirements to the UK, 10 days of isolation, 5 days less if you test negative, but I couldnt bank on that so I'd have to do the 10 days. What if I fly over and do all that and then test positive at the gate or something and I'm turned away? Then coming back to Canada I'd have to do 14 days likely. 

Theres just too many variables. Unless the world is open and running, I fear the worst. 

I'll wait until April to make any decisions, and then even if I pay my balance I have until end of May to cancel dont I? 

Yes. It must be so difficult being part of the international contingent and wondering what will happen. Looking at today’s bbc interview with the Eavises hopefully a decision on the festival will be made early next year so that should give you time to make arrangements. Also if things improve the periods of isolation might not be required by the summer. I sympathise with you and others abroad especially given all the preparations, travel arrangements etc you make.  Keep the faith! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, John the Moth said:

Hello...

I’m a 10 minute drive away, Mrs Moth is a professional musician and pre Covid had a residency at the Little Creatures brewery in Hobsonville.

First place we went when we arrived in December! May have to move there one day (though Wellington prob more likely - the wife reckons there's more to do down there).

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

First place we went when we arrived in December! May have to move there one day (though Wellington prob more likely - the wife reckons there's more to do down there).

Last time we were there the little creatures hadn’t opened but it’s become a firm favourite with my family !  Sadly it’s too late in life for us to emigrate but certainly my daughter hasn’t regretted the move, especially at this time. We are so looking forward to seeing the end of this shitstorm so we can plan another visit, especially after cancelling this years Xmas visit.