Proroguing Parliament aregardingt Glastonbury

bamber

I do. He's not dim, but has a huge ego. I think he felt he could force No Deal through without an election. I think he thought proroguing Parliament would be sufficient to buy him the time (otherwise he wouldn't have done it) - it might still do if the weirdness with the Benn amendment was actually strategy and not screw up.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Yes and I’m very much outnumbered so can’t be bothered although it’s not always the case 

I can't really be doing with the type of people that read the front page the sun/daily mail and think they're well informed. But there's plenty of leavers that are clued up; everyone's entitled to their opinion. 

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I do. He's not dim, but has a huge ego. I think he felt he could force No Deal through without an election. I think he thought proroguing Parliament would be sufficient to buy him the time (otherwise he wouldn't have done it) - it might still do if the weirdness with the Benn amendment was actually strategy and not screw up.

nah, it's all a set-up. His 'plans' have been leaking like a sieve when there's no need to reveal a strategy to anyone (so those leaks are 'authorised', he wants everyone to know them). He's working to a plan.

Of course he'd have preferred if it all fell into place after the first part of the plan, but none of these further steps are unexpected by him.

One of the more recent 'leaks' was that he'd suggest a mid-October election but then change the date until after brexit - so he wanted people to have that idea. Exactly what the plan around that is I can only guess at tho.

One part is to be able to call Corbyn a chicken, of course. Whether or not it's designed to push an election beyond 31st Oct I'm not sure, but i suspect it is - that he doesn't really want to hard brexit, but he wants the Farage-ists to believe that he does.

PS: he also had the Lords back down on the Bill of Benn yesterday, so he's not really too bothered about that law being in place after all. The game is around something else.

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

PS: he also had the Lords back down on the Bill of Benn yesterday, so he's not really too bothered about that law being in place after all. The game is around something else.

I thought he might just want an amendment on there that they could bat back, thus delaying the bill - rather than being bothered by the content.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i'd love to meet one sometime, I haven't done yet.

This is so true. I never bought into the "they're all racist idiots" line but I've been trying to think how I would feel now if I voted Leave in good faith - even not taking in the lies about extra money - if I felt having control of our own borders and trade was better than being tied to Europe.

I'd be furious. I'd be mad that the government were trying to rush through a Brexit that would clearly be bad for the country. I'd be incensed that TM spend two years doing nothing, for sure. But I'd be going "okay, lets figure out what we want, then take 2-5 years to prepare for that, then do it". Not even "no deal" has to be a disaster if we actually prepare for it. But that's a hell of a lot of prep. Most big businesses need a minimum two years to strategically plan, not two weeks.

End the uncertainty, you vastly improve things as industry can plan. No deal doesn't even do that, as it's "no deal, but we still want a trade deal at some point in the future". Make a choice now to do something, then spend time working towards making that as painless as possible. You do that, you might even create positive impacts from Brexit. 

And yet, I don't see a single leaver suggesting that. Not one. And I don't see any explanation for that other than the idea that they really are all a bit dim. 

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I thought that, that's why I was confused. You said you were surrounded by remainers so was wondering why. Lol

crumbs ... thanks for pointing that out ... dont know how I made that mistake .. Ive gone back and corrected it !!... must have been the anger at how conversation was going that threw me out ...

20 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Please don't start me off on Cliff Richard. You see I too am someone who has suffered, and continues to suffer from his evil output. The man is the anti-Christ incarnate.

I did something a little bit naughty once. Not majorly naughty, just naughty. I accepted an invite to a contractors Christmas party at a hotel. All I had to do was show up, get slaughtered on free drinks and cocaine, and then sleep it off in a hotel room, also paid in full. Where do I sign, i said to myself! Not really, I had a moral dilemma about it for years. Not so now, though.

Anyway, I got spannered drunk and stoned on coke - natch. Then passed out in the hotel room. I got up in the morning for breakfast and there were OAP's fucking everywhere. They were like vermin, only much more pleasant.Turns out that they were from all over the country. They'd all travelled to see Cliff Richard at the NEC, in Birmingham (as it was known then). Fucking barking, I tells ya!

I too had some interaction with cliff disciples. Me and some chums used to buy each other shit birthday gifts. One mate had me open my present at my birthday meal. Family and wreckhead friends all around us. On unwrapping I was shocked to discover some frilly lady undergarments and a pair of the tightest Speedos ever. (The Speedos were the most embarrassing) My revenge had to be good. He too hated cliff, to the point of making himself ill. So my mission was to enroll him in cliff's fanclub. There wasn't an official club but I located a dear old lady superfan who ran the biggest club. One phone call asking to join for my mate and surprise him on his birthday, and parting with some cash, and it was done. He lodged at my house then so I got to see his surprise. Pens, badges, stickers , note paper, all with cliff emblazoned on. And a personal birthday wish and card, with cliff grinning manickly. Priceless. They still send info to me years later. Which I happily pass on. ?

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

I too had some interaction with cliff disciples. Me and some chums used to buy each other shit birthday gifts. One mate had me open my present at my birthday meal. Family and wreckhead friends all around us. On unwrapping I was shocked to discover some frilly lady undergarments and a pair of the tightest Speedos ever. (The Speedos were the most embarrassing) My revenge had to be good. He too hated cliff, to the point of making himself ill. So my mission was to enroll him in cliff's fanclub. There wasn't an official club but I located a dear old lady superfan who ran the biggest club. One phone call asking to join for my mate and surprise him on his birthday, and parting with some cash, and it was done. He lodged at my house then so I got to see his surprise. Pens, badges, stickers , note paper, all with cliff emblazoned on. And a personal birthday wish and card, with cliff grinning manickly. Priceless. They still send info to me years later. Which I happily pass on. ?

I doff my cap to you Sir, for that is genius behaviour. :bow:

11 hours ago, Quark said:

Very much this Neil.  Boris is a charming bumbling buffoon who hangs from zip wires and talks about wiffwaff. Johnson is a calculating career politician with is eye very much on the prize.

I once walked in to a pub, sat down with a pint, looked up, and there was Boris Johnson opposite in a group of people, drinking etc. I have a 'feeble' knowledge of politics, but if one has a sixth sense, then I knew him then to be a 'wrong un'. Now, I don't know when this occurred, but it must have been when the BBC Pebble Mill studio must have existed. 

I could, and would write more, about opportunities wasted etc, but fear that the good folk of this site would object to me stating that I regret not getting my laddy out, and pissing first in to his pint of beer, and then working upwards towards, and in to, his boat race!

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I once walked in to a pub, sat down with a pint, looked up, and there was Boris Johnson opposite in a group of people, drinking etc. I have a 'feeble' knowledge of politics, but if one has a sixth sense, then I knew him then to be a 'wrong un'. Now, I don't know when this occurred, but it must have been when the BBC Pebble Mill studio must have existed. 

I could, and would write more, about opportunities wasted etc, but fear that the good folk of this site would object to me stating that I regret not getting my laddy out, and pissing first in to his pint of beer, and then working upwards towards, and in to, his boat race!

I once shared a railway carriage with Edwina Curry, and her Minder, right in the middle of the Egg / Salmonella crisis, travelling to Dorset. This was at the time she was shagging John Major when he was married to Norma Major (though no one knew that at the time) (he may still be married to Norma) (Major now seems like a beacon of moderation!)

She was reading the Daily Mail, I was reading the Guardian. We did not converse. I wanted to say something, but I did not. I regret that to this day. She had a minder.

Arrogant c**ts do not get more arrogant and contemptuous than this utter c**t. The Rt Hon. member of parliament for our beloved North East Somerset no less.

Constituency MP
Bridgwater & West Somerset Ian Liddell-Grainger – Conservative
Taunton Deane Rebecca Pow – Conservative 
Yeovil Marcus Fysh – Conservative 
Wells James Heappey – Conservative
Somerset & Frome David Warburton – Conservative
North Somerset Dr Liam Fox – Conservative 

(classic Yog)

69762755_10156873671513264_5924551503841

water-slide-toy-human-person.jpeg

Edited by bamber

My prediction:

Brexit is delayed past October.

Tories / Brexit party wins a reasonable majority in a General Election in November/December

They get the no deal they want.

They do lots of other far-right stuff whilst in government, particularly in regards to immigration.

When everything turns to shit, it's still all Labour and the Remainers' fault.