Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

I had to drop my car off at my mechanic's house the other night, so he could take it for MOT the following day. It's exactly a mile. I decided to run home after doing so. I nearly died. I couldn't get my breath for ages afterwards. 

Last time I ran at all was at rugby training in mid-October. 

Did the trip in reverse the following day to collect the car (MOT PASSED with no work apart from one bulb) and felt much better. 

Did a mile in 8:05 and then 7:27 the second time.

No idea if that's a pace to be ashamed of, but back in August I covered a 0.75 mile shuttle run fitness test in 4:48 which is 6:24 per mile, so what I do know is that my fitness has fallen off a cliff. 

On 3/14/2021 at 5:17 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Week end update. Almost half way through the month.  1800 in the bag and just £15 from my target. So if anyone would like to bung a couple of quid towards the charity (Royal Marsden cancer charity) I promise you will have good karma when ticket day arrives *

https://www.facebook.com/donate/172213441367321/?fundraiser_source=external_url

57517201-136B-4631-95CB-F7EE4C00F255.thumb.jpeg.83407d6fb6b797045a94922f1bea7419.jpeg

* the value of your karma may rise and fall throughout the year. The management accepts no responsibility for your investment 

Great work, and great charity.  Have made an investment for good karma as described!  Well done for beating your target!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone here follow The Barkley Marathons? I’ve become obsessed with it since lockdown when I read about it in Scott Jurek’s book and then watched the documentaries on it on YouTube/Netflix. 

It started last night and I’ve been refreshing the #BM100 hashtag on Twitter all day. 

If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a really fascinating thing to read up on. It’s thought of as the hardest running race in existence. Only 15 people have finished it since it started about 30 years ago.

It’s easier to read the wiki page on it rather than me explain all the reasons why it’s so hard!

It's so bizarre - the "official" updates seemingly come from a bloke called Keith on twitter.

I love it.

37 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Anyone here follow The Barkley Marathons? I’ve become obsessed with it since lockdown when I read about it in Scott Jurek’s book and then watched the documentaries on it on YouTube/Netflix. 

It started last night and I’ve been refreshing the #BM100 hashtag on Twitter all day. 

If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a really fascinating thing to read up on. It’s thought of as the hardest running race in existence. Only 15 people have finished it since it started about 30 years ago.

It’s easier to read the wiki page on it rather than me explain all the reasons why it’s so hard!

Aware of them but don't follow them. Nutters the lot of them.

29 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Did a mile in 8:05 and then 7:27 the second time.

No idea if that's a pace to be ashamed of, but back in August I covered a 0.75 mile shuttle run fitness test in 4:48 which is 6:24 per mile, so what I do know is that my fitness has fallen off a cliff. 

7:27 is my kind of window for a 5km run pace, but I guess it depends on who you talk to as to whether it's any good or not!

The shuttle pace is 4 min/km, so that sits around what I've always had as the target pace for doing the 12 min cooper test. God i don't miss shuttle runs 😄

Was supposed to be running the Forest of Dean Spring Half Marathon this weekend, but that's been canned so they're doing a virtual one instead. Got that to look forward to on Saturday!

Decision to make is whether I run it up on the Downs to get a bit more scenery and make it more interesting but sacrifice time as there's more elevation, or stay down on the local back roads and aim for the sub 1:50

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Was supposed to be running the Forest of Dean Spring Half Marathon this weekend, but that's been canned so they're doing a virtual one instead. Got that to look forward to on Saturday!

Decision to make is whether I run it up on the Downs to get a bit more scenery and make it more interesting but sacrifice time as there's more elevation, or stay down on the local back roads and aim for the sub 1:50

I’m in a similar boat. My marathon next weekend was postponed. Doing it virtually. Think I’m going to do it along the Thames as I was really aiming for a specific time so I’m less concerned about the scenery (although Thames scenery happens to be okay!). 

1 minute ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I’m in a similar boat. My marathon next weekend was postponed. Doing it virtually. Think I’m going to do it along the Thames as I was really aiming for a specific time so I’m less concerned about the scenery (although Thames scenery happens to be okay!). 

What you shooting for?

I think I'll do mine up in the hills as I think about it.  Did a new PB in Feb so I've scratched the time itch relatively recently, and I haven't been able to get up there for my runs for ages. Think I'll map myself a couple of routes and decide on Saturday morning!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

What you shooting for?

I think I'll do mine up in the hills as I think about it.  Did a new PB in Feb so I've scratched the time itch relatively recently, and I haven't been able to get up there for my runs for ages. Think I'll map myself a couple of routes and decide on Saturday morning!

Hoping for sub 3.30! 

1 hour ago, Greenelk said:

Great work, and great charity.  Have made an investment for good karma as described!  Well done for beating your target!

Thank you so much 🙏🏿 I really appreciate your support and the support from other efesters. Your ticket karma has gone up 🆙 through the roof. Honest.

I’m on target to get to 3,000 sit ups sometime next week. So what should I do until the end of the month?  What do people think?

Set a new target. Maybe 4,000?

Do as many sit ups as possible?  

Eat cake?

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Aware of them but don't follow them. Nutters the lot of them.

7:27 is my kind of window for a 5km run pace, but I guess it depends on who you talk to as to whether it's any good or not!

The shuttle pace is 4 min/km, so that sits around what I've always had as the target pace for doing the 12 min cooper test. God i don't miss shuttle runs 😄

All I know is I find exercise a fuck load easier when there’s a ball involved. 

You’re right, i was contemplating why it was in my top twenty Radiohead songs and then I recalled and did have a little chuckle to myself.

So proof, if proof is needed you just chuck on your favorite band for a half. 

How much rest you going to have now? Is a day too little?

29 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

You’re right, i was contemplating why it was in my top twenty Radiohead songs and then I recalled and did have a little chuckle to myself.

So proof, if proof is needed you just chuck on your favorite band for a half. 

How much rest you going to have now? Is a day too little?

Tomorrow will probably end up being a walk I think. Mon prob a slow 5km, rest Tue then back on it.

Just need to decide what to focus on now that's done. Entries are open for the summer edition of the race up Pen y Fan, so might shift back to weighted runs again. 

Going to dust the bike off as well now the weather's picking up.