Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

52 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Hello. I’m arriving in this thread as a 43 year old man with a sedentary job based permanently at home. I don’t really exercise at all and have been guilty of drinking a lot. Consequently, I’m currently around 220lb, mostly belly fat. I’m 187cm tall. I dislike my reflection.

I’m determined to halt this trend this year. I’ve bought myself gym/running gear, a pair of adjustable dumbbells, an Apple Watch and subscription to Fitness+ and I’m waiting on delivery of a gym mat and stability ball. 

I’ve calculated a low carb, high protein diet (complete with protein shakes), and a fitness schedule that will see me burn 1,000 calories on Mon/Wed/Fri and 600 calories on the other days. It gives me a weekly calorie deficit of around 3,500. My aim is to lose 1lb a week with the goal being to shed 30-40lb this year. 

I’m quite nervous about beginning and I’m not sure why. It feels like such a lot to take on and I know that to achieve my goals there can be no half measures. I will need to cut drinking down to almost zero (and I’m used to drinking daily), up my water intake and manage my sleep better (I’ve ordered some Advil PM’s to help force a better sleep routine). 

Sorry for the dry, factual post. I guess I want to post in this thread to introduce some accountability as I occasionally update.

Sounds like you've given it a lot of thought Kali!

Definitely +1 for what @pilton digger says though.  One of the hardest things to do is to find a way to make this sort of thing sustainable, and if it becomes a chore then it's that much harder.  I track my times and stuff, and might have goals for a specific event or something, but actually when I'm out running these days I've stopped looking at the watch or keeping an eye on my pace and just enjoy running and being outside and active. It's so much more enjoyable! Ditto when I'm out on the bike. 

Whether it's exercise or food, make sure you're finding a way to enjoy it. Routine is an amazing thing as well, can be a massive help especially when you're doing new stuff.

The other thing I'd suggest, and this is based on my dad's efforts to lose weight, is to make sure you're watching the trend rather than a daily or weekly goal.  If the overall line is going in the right direction, you're doing alright. Don't get into a mindset where you beat yourself up because you've put on a pound over the weekend but overall you've lost a stone in a month.

Got geared up for a big run this morning, beautiful day outside, stretched and everything seemed perfect. 

Felt absolutely fine on the run then around 7km my left foot went numb and every step felt like pins and needles I've had something like this before so pushed on thinking it may come back this was a big mistake. My right was now doing a lot more work and quickly crumbled felt a stabbing pain im my instep and base of the foot. I only managed 9km in the end. 

Why does my left foot do this? My shoes were brand new in June admittedly not fitted and measured at a proper running shop, this is something I will definitely be doing as soon as the shops are open again. 

Any help is really appreciated! 

Edited by Kalopsia

9 hours ago, Kalopsia said:

Got geared up for a big run this morning, beautiful day outside, stretched and everything seemed perfect. 

Felt absolutely fine on the run then around 7km my left foot went numb and every step felt like pins and needles I've had something like this before so pushed on thinking it may come back this was a big mistake. My right was now doing a lot more work and quickly crumbled felt a stabbing pain im my instep and base of the foot. I only managed 9km in the end. 

Why does my left foot do this? My shoes were brand new in June admittedly not fitted and measured at a proper running shop, this is something I will definitely be doing as soon as the shops are open again. 

Any help is really appreciated! 

Zero idea mate. Might be a question for physio as much as a running shop.

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Did something silly and just registered for the virtual London marathon on October 3rd.

Anyone else fancy it?

I’m 70/30 for signing up at the moment. Pretty certain I’ll end up doing it. 

I listened to the head of the London Marathon on the radio this morning and he was saying that this is likely to be a yearly event now running parallel to the marathon itself - i think it’s a great concept for the hundreds of thousands that miss out on the ballot each year, as well as additional money going to charities. A win/win. 
He also suggested calculating a route beforehand, and getting dropped off 26.2 miles from your home, so every step is one closer to home to help if you become unmotivated during it. I think if I just dip multiple laps of my regular route it would be too easy to stop when the going gets tough!

Just now, st dan said:

I’m 70/30 for signing up at the moment. Pretty certain I’ll end up doing it. 

I listened to the head of the London Marathon on the radio this morning and he was saying that this is likely to be a yearly event now running parallel to the marathon itself - i think it’s a great concept for the hundreds of thousands that miss out on the ballot each year, as well as additional money going to charities. A win/win. 
He also suggested calculating a route beforehand, and getting dropped off 26.2 miles from your home, so every step is one closer to home to help if you become unmotivated during it. I think if I just dip multiple laps of my regular route it would be too easy to stop when the going gets tough!

I did toy with doing it from our house to my Wife's grandparents who live close to the festival site in nearby Street. The distance coincidently being 26 miles.

Of course this was just looking at google maps so doesn't take in to account pavements and so on which i'd need to look in to.

Possibly a bit of a ball ache to work out I'd imagine.

My mate sent me this the the other day. The next Rat Race Dirty Weekend will be the last one.

Did it with mates a few years ago and it was good fun (250 obstacles). There is a big party after too (we got Dave Pearce):

https://ratrace.com/dirty-weekend-2022/

Tempted though not sure if my knee is up to all the running (did a half marathon before the last one as prep).

6 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Possibly too many in a crowd? My local would often have 600 or more attending.

That's what I meant by the looser organisation really, the fact that they don't have the controls over numbers or tracking attendees or stuff like that.

Depends whether they define it as organised grassroots sport really.  I'd be surprised if they do

On 2/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, nikkic said:

Just signed up to the Manchester marathon.

On October 10th, obviously 50/50 as to whether it goes ahead or not, but I need a goal to aim for! 

I'm doing that too. Still not 100% sure if I'm up for the marathon distance as yet...but if not I reckon they'll let me do the half which is on the same day. Hopefully these autumn races can go ahead. Also signed up for the Wilmslow half in September.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, kalifire said:

Hello. I’m arriving in this thread as a 43 year old man with a sedentary job based permanently at home. I don’t really exercise at all and have been guilty of drinking a lot. Consequently, I’m currently around 220lb, mostly belly fat. I’m 187cm tall. I dislike my reflection.

I’m determined to halt this trend this year. I’ve bought myself gym/running gear, a pair of adjustable dumbbells, an Apple Watch and subscription to Fitness+ and I’m waiting on delivery of a gym mat and stability ball. 

I’ve calculated a low carb, high protein diet (complete with protein shakes), and a fitness schedule that will see me burn 1,000 calories on Mon/Wed/Fri and 600 calories on the other days. It gives me a weekly calorie deficit of around 3,500. My aim is to lose 1lb a week with the goal being to shed 30-40lb this year. 

I’m quite nervous about beginning and I’m not sure why. It feels like such a lot to take on and I know that to achieve my goals there can be no half measures. I will need to cut drinking down to almost zero (and I’m used to drinking daily), up my water intake and manage my sleep better (I’ve ordered some Advil PM’s to help force a better sleep routine). 

Sorry for the dry, factual post. I guess I want to post in this thread to introduce some accountability as I occasionally update.

How's the first couple of weeks been Kali? Have you managed to find a rhythm that's working for you?

@kalifire Missed this from before but i am 180cm and  was 195lb in jan 2019. I also do 0 exercise as part of my job. I Managed to get to 159lb in Jan 2021. The main thing for me was to make gradual changes that i could sustain and i think 1lb a week is a good way at looking at it. Discovering a love of running has helped me most but this did not happen straight away (initial 1ks where my teeth felt like they were bleeding)!

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, deebeedoobee said:

Signed up for the 3000 sit ups in March charity fund raiser for the Royal Marsden hospital.  This hospital is currently looking after my best friend who has terminal brain cancer, so I have reasons to try and support them in what little way I can.

that’s only 100 a day.......simples 

Link please